Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

New to me 987.2 Spyder.... MODS??

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 09:11 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 194 Posts
Question New to me 987.2 Spyder - Pics and driving impressions!

Well today heralds the start of a new journey for me.

I take delivery in the next few days of a 2011 Boxster Spyder - with PDK + LWB
21,000 kms and one owner. FPSH and is Black on Black with Red Belts.

This is a temporary measure (prob end up keeping it if i like it) getting me back into a P-car after a few years away.

I am already eying off the mods (can't help myself) and clearly need:

1 - A paddle Steering wheel.
2 - An exhaust tip and muffler upgrade.
3 - A set of wheels,

I am interested in a P&P option for the wheel - any pointers?

From my research i am leaning towards either a Carnewal modified exhaust (have to get around the shipping to and from AU first) or a locally modified stock exhaust. And a set of Fabspeed tips.....

I have found a set of wheels i like - and despite the beauty of the stock wheels - I have a wheel fetish - and they are SOOOOO expensive to replace if anything when wrong!

Any advice would be great - its my 1st water cooled car (had a few Cayennes) and 1st PDK = Cant wait!

TIA,

Simon.

Last edited by Full Boost; 11-16-2018 at 02:38 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:21 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Simon congrats on the new Spyder!

Having PDK I think everyone will agree that the paddle shift wheel is a must and I would probably do that first. It also adds value to the car, or at least makes it more desirable to the next owner so it’s a worthwhile change even if you don’t keep the car.

As far as wheels I think it’s a personal choice. I would definitely limit the choices to a wheel that has similar weight as the stock wheel so you don’t lose out on the incredible feel of the car in its stock form.

As far as exhaust there are lots of great choices out there, Fabspeed definitely seems to be a popular one. It also reduces the weight of the car so a win win.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:19 AM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Congratulations and an excellent choice to get you back into the Porsche world. For many of us, the Boxster Spyder is the car we tend to keep.

Regarding mods, paddle shifters are a must. I have the sports exhaust option and I do like being able to change it depending on my mood. You’ll have to show us a pic with the new wheels.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:44 AM
masti99
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

Congrats, enjoy in good health!
Old 10-16-2018, 01:13 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Congrats on Spyder ownership! It's a great car to bring you back into the fold (or web I should say).

My advice on mods is always to first own the car for a few months, drive it, get some miles under your belt, and then decide what you want to tinker with. You may just find, particularly with this special car, that it ticks all your boxes "as is." Having said that, the paddles are a must!

Best of luck and let us know your impressions once you take possession.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:10 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Congrats and welcome Full Boost! You have picked up one of the most incredible drivers cars on the planet. And a PDK with flappy paddles? Unstoppable.

Many of us wish for a bit more "grunt" and are considering the following:
1. PSE - the best to put on if you don't have it. A must in fact...
2. 200 cat Headers - SOUL, Cargraphic, Fabspeed etc... and
3. A Cobb tune.

You can play with GT3 intake plenums etc... but it's difficult to assess their actual worth. I've heard of engines then throwing CEL's...

Cheers!
Old 10-16-2018, 07:11 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

Simon, congrats! I'm 2 weeks into my new love a 987.2 Spyder, I have the sport wheel/paddles and in a very short timeframe following advice on this forum I learned to drive, manual paddles sport mode, there is nothing like it! I can't get enough. In my opinion the factory wheels (as you know 19" GT3 wheels, not center locks) are one of my favorite features of the car. As noted though wheels are a personal choice and also as noted make sure you get light weight wheels. Exhaust also a matter of opinion, my car has the Borla, loud yes but I love it. When you are pedal down going through the paddles there is nothing like, impressive. Yes, you can get it to drone (7th gear, 2100 RPM, 80 MPH) but likely all after market sport exhausts drone, all you need to do is manage it, manual sport mode choose a proper gear and RPMs. Enjoy!
Old 10-16-2018, 11:05 PM
Full Boost
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the responses.

So today - before i have even seen or paid for the car - I have purchased a new Alcantara Paddle wheel and a few other bits for the insides.

I am trying to buy some LWB seat houndstooth inserts from 1Buck as well.

I have passed on the wheels i was keen on for the time being - I have a few other sets of 20' wheels for 997 TT in boxes so might wait and see what happens after some spacers.

Also - have decided to wait for the actual car before i buy tips for the exhaust - my understanding is that they are special edition black chrome ones? And if so - will prob just get my local guys to cut open and modify the baffles for a OEM look...

If the PPI goes well - then I'll fly up and drive it home tomorrow (about 1000klms)

Love buying a car and road tripping it home~!!!!

Simon.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:19 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Nicely done - paddles are a must, the rest is personal choice. At a minimum I'd also think tune - Softronics or Cobb - it will pull better without an intake/etc.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:28 AM
Full Boost
Rennlist Member

Update:

So the PPI came in clean with a few wear items to be attended to:

PDK service,
Belts and
Brake Fluid Flush.

Now all authorised to be done and ready to be picked up (hopefully) tomorrow afternoon my time.

Also added a CPO warranty for 2 years.

Do GT4 wheels fit the spiders......??

I will def go for a tune - i'm coming from a very fast 997 GT2 and 993 TT and also have a 10 second Rotary - just need to talk to ppl here and find out the best. No interest in an aftermarket intake etc....

Simon.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:58 AM
Ale_72
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 74 Posts

Gearbox: Get the Sport/sport+ buttons installed in case you do not have them. It's a must. The PDK becomes much much faster in sport and sport +. Your dealer will do it (tequipment option)
Exhaust: I have the Carnewal modified exhaust but to me it's too quiet. I would probably have gone for the Capristo, but it's not street legal here in CH
Wheels: I really like the spyder wheels so I went for the OZ Leggera. I'm really happy with those. Cheap and nice. A pic can be found HERE
Old 10-17-2018, 05:37 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 243 Posts

Simon - nice to see another 993 guy adding a .2 spyder! You were always great in the 993 Turbo section when that still existed ;-). I've had my spyder for a couple of years now & still love it. My car is also PDK (paddles) but with the sport chrono and PSE options - modified with Fabspeed race headers, GT3 throttle body, IPD plenum and Evoms tune. This combination is exceptional.

Here's a thread I posted with a sound clip of me ripping through the gears a few times with PSE flaps open & sport+ engaged. I personally think that headers in combination with PSE is the best option for these cars - quite subdued when the flaps are closed but raucous when open:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...ound-clip.html

Best of luck with the car & enjoy in good health!
Old 10-17-2018, 08:47 PM
blue44
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome Simon, 2nd what Zeus993 and Ale_72 said... Cheers, Donn
Old 10-18-2018, 12:12 AM
haen
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm going to suggest the mods that I'm planning for the 987 Spyder. They have to do with stiffening the chassis.

1. Front diagonal bracing

part numbers
99650423301 (DRIVER SIDE)
99650423401 (PASSENGER SIDE)
90037810001 Hexagon-Head Bolt M10 X 45 (2
count)
90007501003 Hexagon-Head Bolt M6 X 12 (4
count
)

2. Rear lower strut brace

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Install_the_TechnoBrace.html
Old 10-18-2018, 12:21 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by haen
I'm going to suggest the mods that I'm planning for the 987 Spyder. They have to do with stiffening the chassis.

1. Front diagonal bracing

part numbers
99650423301 (DRIVER SIDE)
99650423401 (PASSENGER SIDE)
90037810001 Hexagon-Head Bolt M10 X 45 (2
count)
90007501003 Hexagon-Head Bolt M6 X 12 (4
count
)

2. Rear lower strut brace

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Install_the_TechnoBrace.html
Are the front braces a bolt on modification or do you need to modify the chassis to install them?

I would love to get your impressions after installation, I debated the rear strut brace but wasn’t sure if it would really offer any improvement.

My next mod will be a proper alignment, not Porsche factory settings but something more aggressive.

Quick Reply: New to me 987.2 Spyder.... MODS??