Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

New to me 987.2 Spyder.... MODS??

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 04:38 PM
haen
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

Are the front braces a bolt on modification or do you need to modify the chassis to install them?

I would love to get your impressions after installation, I debated the rear strut brace but wasn’t sure if it would really offer any improvement.

My next mod will be a proper alignment, not Porsche factory settings but something more aggressive.
I don't know if modifications are required. I haven't even ordered the parts yet!

There is only so much adjustment available with stock suspension.

If I were to upgrade the wheels, I would be tempted to try a square setup (as opposed to the stock's staggered) assuming it fits. I do autocross though so my needs may be different than yours.

You might want to consider upgrading to new rubber if you're getting new wheels, regardless of sizing. I recently made the jump to Bridgestone RE-71R's. They are pretty popular in the autocross scene.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:14 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 210 Posts

Thanks for the welcomes !

I picked it up on Thursday night and then drove the ~ 950klms home yesterday - arriving at dusk last night.

I have ONE pic from the drive - when it just ticked over 24000 kms on the way home..... I just wanted to get home.

First Impressions:

1 - It drives WAY better than I remember from the last Boxster. Steering feel is like an extension of my brain! Suspension is firm but not overly - and feels planted.

2 - Goes WAY better than I expected it to - Granted i didn't really have much of chance to open it up - due to our draconian laws here - but I am impressed with the top end pull.
(which is prob coming from my usual turbo hit where you ride the wave of torque????) But impressed none the less.

3 - PDK. This is my first PDK car and i am a convert. I drove one at Speed in Targa Tas earlier in the year and was impressed - and this just re-affirms my choice.

4 - Generally: - Audio system and ergonomics are excellent. The Centre Console opening the wrong way (RHD remember) to get access to the charging ports etc is a pain with the LWB. Sound quality is good (again better than expectations) but lack of rear fill hurts my ears after a while ... All other stuff is intuitive and easy to use.

5 - Sound. It sounds TERRIBLE to my ear. The intake sound is intoxicating being so close to my ear - but the exhaust is just boring and sewing machine like. I am already searching for a fix. I was thinking i wouldn't do a header swap but if thats the only way to get a decent sound......

It has Sport Plus Buttons abut no PSE. I will be calling around when i get back from the Moto GP in a week or so to get a solution.

Just. Can't. Drive. It. Otherwise.

Pic from the drive:

Old 10-19-2018, 07:18 PM
Full Boost
Rennlist Member

And Safely tucked away in the garage.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:19 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,282 Likes on 593 Posts

Nice... so nice. Congrats and welcome!
Old 10-20-2018, 12:37 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Great looking Spyder and the best color . The handling and the feedback is truly exceptional and the wired to your brain feeling isn’t an exaggeration.

The exhaust without PSE or some type of aftermarket exhaust is really lacking and to me is the only gripe I have. I know I’ve told this story a dozen times already but I’ll tell it again. Before ordering my Spyder I had the opportunity to drive one at the dealer and I remember getting in with the sales guy and he immediately hits a button on the console after I fire up the car. I didn’t pay attention at the time but I remember when driving the car thinking how good it sounded. When we got back to the dealership I was looking at how the car was optioned and I saw the PSE button was lit. I said, what’s that and he said it’s the sport exhaust. I thought, well I don’t think I need that so I turned it off and hit the gas a few times. It sounded like a sowing machine and I turned to him and said “why the hell would Porsche make this an option, it should come this way as standard!” No joke that is exactly the words out of my mouth. Needless to say I ponied up the extra for the PSE when I ordered it. I felt the same way about the full leather, too but that’s a different story.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:49 PM
Gbboenda
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

OP - congrats on a gem of a car. I got mine three years ago and went through same train of thoughts as you - super tactile and agile car but needs aural umph!

The mod bug bit me and I went through a sport header install on my PSE car:
https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...fter-dyno.html

Now time has passed and I’m still lovin’ it! PSE + sport headers add aural drama when you want without sacrificing long haul drivability.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:42 PM
Full Boost
Rennlist Member

Ok,

A few weeks in...... I'm in love!

I am seriously impressed with the way it drives, and the compliance and feel of the suspension. The steering feel is seriously like an extension of my brain. Goes really well, (sounds bad) stops well and handles like no other. Suitably impressed and has made me re-think the whole Boxster thing.... I must be getting old or something?

As for the mods....

New wheels ordered yesterday.
Steering wheel on the way here from the US.
Exhaust mod on Monday.
Clear bra in a week or two.

Need to pull some interior pieces and am going to get them painted body colour. The PDK surround and the Ignition surround - this will solve the rubbery peel permanently!

I have to replace the hexagonal plastic covers on the humps / wind deflector - the previous owner punched holes in both of them (clearly didn't take the roof off correctly) I bought some from the UK - but they were of course mis-represented and were from a 986.... Will have to sell 'em on Ebay now that they're here.....

Finally had 5 mins (ok an hour or 2) to give it the first bath. LOVE LOVE LOVE a clean black car..... and those humps...

Old 11-15-2018, 01:28 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Stunning!

I’m looking forward to the update after you finish up the modifications to the exhaust and wheels.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:07 AM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

OP- congratulations ! Your Spyder looks gorgeous there all freshly polished and housed in a smart garage.What is the yellow(toyota?)stablemate? Im 6 months into ownership of mine now and its only getting better each drive. After many other good 911s etc i am totally with the Spyder ethos now. As soon as you get an exhaust solution its driving Nirvanah.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:38 AM
Full Boost
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the warm welcome to all you blokes!

Rennlist still warms my cold black heart! LOL

The yellow car is a 1974 Mazda Savanna (RX3) that is not stock..... Fun car.

I have pulled the interior bits and they've been de peeled - and Monday it goes on for alignment and exhaust. Cant wait!!!

Quick Reply: New to me 987.2 Spyder.... MODS??