Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I's Here - Numeric Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 06:17 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I's Here - Numeric Shifter

It's here. My Numeric Shifter & Cables.

Just wondering from those that have done this before, how long should I expect it to take to install? Should I wait for the weekend or can this be done after work (assuming a couple of hours).

Old 10-09-2018, 07:45 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 267 Posts

It’s not a quick job. Definitely wait until the weekend.

It’s not super difficult, there’s just a lot of bits and bobs to get through and you don’t want to be rushed.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:20 AM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Took me 6 hours to put the cables in, not counting a break for lunch. I wasn't exactly slacking off, but since I'd never done it before, I was taking my time and trying to be meticulous. I'm sure a professional could do it faster.

Shifter shouldn't add any time since replacing the cables involves taking the stock shifter out anyway.

Did you get the special "bulkhead" wrench? I neglected to, but I was able to make do with a set of thin service wrenches from Harbor Freight. Space is *very* tight on the driver's side of the transmission. Barely enough room to get my hands in there.

Also, take pictures before you remove the old cables, just to remind yourself how they were routed. This helped me when I was putting it all back together.

Good luck.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:29 AM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm thinking about the same shifter for my 986. How difficult is it to adjust the linkage/cable to insure the shifter position corresponds to the proper gear? (or is that even an issue)
Old 10-10-2018, 10:46 AM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by dbbarron
I'm thinking about the same shifter for my 986. How difficult is it to adjust the linkage/cable to insure the shifter position corresponds to the proper gear? (or is that even an issue)
That’s pretty easy. Get the green Porsche shift alignment tool for a few bucks and follow the Numeric instructions.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:35 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dare
Took me 6 hours to put the cables in. Did you get the special "bulkhead" wrench?
Yes, I did buy the special bulkhead wrench. Looking at the setup, I'm glad I did as I may have had to use pliars (ohh no, never).

One thing that I'm a little disappointed in is that the outer thick rubber insulation hoses are not pre-installed and it looks like the only way to install will be to slice them down the middle as they will definitely not fit over the 1" crimped on end fittings. I would thing that Numeric would have dealt with that and installed before crimping on the ends.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:41 AM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dbbarron
Not hard at all. The documentation describes how to adjust it to ensure that you can reach all the gears. After that its a question of adjusting the overall angle of lever for best feel. As mentioned, Porsche has a tool for this for the stock shifter. I did it by feel without the tool and it was easy.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:57 AM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tidybuoy
Yes, I did buy the special bulkhead wrench. Looking at the setup, I'm glad I did as I may have had to use pliars (ohh no, never).
I don't want to think about what would have looked like!

Originally Posted by Tidybuoy
One thing that I'm a little disappointed in is that the outer thick rubber insulation hoses are not pre-installed and it looks like the only way to install will be to slice them down the middle as they will definitely not fit over the 1" crimped on end fittings. I would thing that Numeric would have dealt with that and installed before crimping on the ends.
I wondered why they didn't provide insulation too. The stock insulation is interesting as its a kind of honeycomb design, with inner and outer tubes separated by an air gap. Might be a complex/costly thing to source, which may be why they didn't include it.

One thing I'll note is that it may be difficult to remove the stock insulation without damaging the sheathing on the underlying cables. Mine cables were toast already (broke in the middle of rush hour traffic!), so I had no qualms about taking a sharp knife to them.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:36 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

Well, this will be a Saturday or Sunday project - depending on if I decide to go to work on Sat. I'm looking forward to getting this installed as my shifting has rapidly declined; I'm wondering if my existing plastic bushings are disintegrating.

Thanks for all the great tips!

Quick Reply: I's Here - Numeric Shifter