Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Verus - Carbon Rear Diffuser for 987.1 & 987.2

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 10:38 AM
gman3280
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Paul, very helpful. So to way simplify this... Moving the bias forward, a proper splitter and air damn solve the understeer issue, correct? In regards to the air damn, how does that affect airflow into the three radiators? What considerations should be made with spring rates on the suspension? Thanks
Old 10-17-2018, 01:59 PM
Verus-Paul
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gman3280
Paul, very helpful. So to way simplify this... Moving the bias forward, a proper splitter and air damn solve the understeer issue, correct? In regards to the air damn, how does that affect airflow into the three radiators? What considerations should be made with spring rates on the suspension? Thanks
Correct. We have not encountered any understeer issue on track with up to 10 degrees on the rear wing. The wing has the ability to go to 14 degrees, but we only recommend a max of 12 degrees. The air dam will increase the pressure on the front side of the radiator. I will not say this will increase flow through the cores though as fin density/core design and ducting have a larger impact. The air dam would open up the ability to flow more air through the radiator, but that does not mean you will get more airflow.

Current car on the track is running MCS 3-ways at a 550lb/800lb split. We are still working with them on the car setup to improve track times. We are probably going to decrease front spring rate a little more and see how the car reacts. We are looking at ride height on all 4 corners using 3 laser ride heights on the chassis along with regular data acquisition.

See attached document. This is our basic aero setup guide.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Old 10-22-2018, 10:24 AM
gman3280
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Paul, this is helpful. Particularly pages 9-11. I understand at a superficial level the relationship between downforce and drag but I'm not sure how to use the info on the charts. I'm glad you are doing the work to provide actual testing data though as my guess is that most aero on the market is just copying others. Could be good or bad, who knows.

Looking again at the diffuser, it looks like covering the exhaust would cause heat build up in the engine or more specifically the trans area. Do you have any operating temp data with and without the diffuser? Also, do you have plans to test on a pdk car, as those run pretty hot, even with coolers, which are located more towards the rear of the trans near the exhaust.

Thanks again, I appreciate this discussion.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:07 PM
Verus-Paul
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by gman3280
Paul, this is helpful. Particularly pages 9-11. I understand at a superficial level the relationship between downforce and drag but I'm not sure how to use the info on the charts. I'm glad you are doing the work to provide actual testing data though as my guess is that most aero on the market is just copying others. Could be good or bad, who knows.

Looking again at the diffuser, it looks like covering the exhaust would cause heat build up in the engine or more specifically the trans area. Do you have any operating temp data with and without the diffuser? Also, do you have plans to test on a pdk car, as those run pretty hot, even with coolers, which are located more towards the rear of the trans near the exhaust.

Thanks again, I appreciate this discussion.
Glad it was helpful. I assume some data won't be useful to all, but I would rather give more data than less to help with customer setup. Most of the data is there to help with changing car setups. You can see how much downforce will be gained or lost with rear wing changes. Ride height sensitivity is used to help set static ride height and correlation work if you have ride height sensors.

We have not had any issues with the temperature of the engine or transmission on the track. We do not have any logs of this, Since we never ran into an issue with it, we never thought of gathering this type of data for our consumers. We have not tested this on a pdk car with temperature. It shouldn't be hard to solve the heat issue though if it arrives with a pdk. I better heat exchanger with a fan should solve it without much issue. We do not believe the diffuser would cause an issue with overheating.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Old 11-26-2018, 02:35 PM
Verus-Paul
Former Vendor

Today is the last day for our Black Friday sale. This works on both the diffuser and dive planes for the 987.2. The diffuser fits .1 & .2

Old 01-30-2019, 10:17 PM
Verus-Eric
Former Vendor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

We just finished up the latest batch of these units so they are back in stock! We will also be releasing the 987 kits shortly along with individual pieces of the kits!

Old 02-11-2019, 04:39 PM
Verus-Eric
Former Vendor

A few photos from a local with a red 987.1; the carbon comes out a bit more than on our black shop car.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:32 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any issues with heat from the exhaust?
Old 05-29-2019, 02:58 PM
Verus-Eric
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat

Any issues with heat from the exhaust?
Sorry that I missed your post. No, we have no issues with heat from the exhaust to date. GearOnePerformance has been tracking their car for over a year now, we have been to a few track days, no issues with heat to date.

We have now created an underbody panel that fits with both 987.1 and 987.2 subframes. The picture below is of a prototype we put on before a track day.

Prototype Flat Underbody Panel bolted to Rear Diffuser

Full Underbody Photo

We were able to capture some pretty awesome rooster tails recently at a wet track day. Our shop car has our full aero kit on it, including the rear wing/spoiler combo.

Old 08-07-2019, 10:13 AM
Verus-Eric
Former Vendor

We have an install video on our youtube of our flat underbody panel as well!

Old 12-02-2019, 09:53 AM
Verus-Eric
Former Vendor

We are finishing up our Cyber Monday sale; for those interested in some functional aero that will help reduce lap times it is a great time to snag some of our parts . We've had a few customers report back 2-4 MPH faster front straight speeds due to the reduced drag which is pretty awesome to hear/see.

Quick Reply: Verus - Carbon Rear Diffuser for 987.1 & 987.2