Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

60k km Cayman Burning smell

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 09:46 PM
MasterA
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 60k km Cayman Burning smell

Hi everyone,

I need some help, I test drove a 2014 Cayman with 60,000kms - the exterior of the car looked spectacular and the interior was in pristine condition. We went for a normal 15 minute test drive, not overly spirited but what I’d consider a normal drive (it was raining).

However, when we returned and I got out of the car, I noticed a peculiar burning rubber/plastic smell coming from the driver side engine vent. I had a mechanic friend with me and he smelled it too. He checked to see if it was the brakes BUT those seemed normal. He visually inspected the brakes before the test drive and they had plenty of life left. The owner of the car didn’t indicate that he could smell it/it wasn’t out of the ordinary.

I’ve already done some searches in regards to this topic and some are saying it’s normal, however, many of those posts are when the car is relatively newer (7,500 km) BUT this car has just under 60,000km’s. I’d assume any off gassing would be long gone by now. I have read something about “chamoline” or something like that but again - would this still have a burning smell at 60,000km? The owner took the car to Porsche and they apparently did the 75k servicing on it (he has the paperwork) and the car still has a warranty until May of 2019 (not sure if it’s a Porsche Canada warrant or third party warranty... the vehicle was purchased as a lease return and bought from a local Porsche dealership, the current owner has had the car for 1.5 years).

Any help with this would be appreciated as a potential first time Porsche owner.

thanks

Last edited by MasterA; 10-08-2018 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:15 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

You’re referring to cosmoline. My car has 16,000 miles / 26,000 KM and I still get that smell - it’s hard to describe. I believe the engines and transaxle were shipped with cosmoline on them to protect against corrosion.

To be sure it’s nothing serious I’d have a PPI ( pre purchase inspection ) completed by an independent shop familiar with 981 Porsche’s. You didn’t mention if the car is PDK or manual trans - if it’s a manual trans have them run an Over rev report - if anything range 3 or over turns up move forward with caution.

On a a side note i wish the Senators a good season.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:33 PM
MasterA
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim137a
You’re referring to cosmoline. My car has 16,000 miles / 26,000 KM and I still get that smell - it’s hard to describe. I believe the engines and transaxle were shipped with cosmoline on them to protect against corrosion.

To be sure it’s nothing serious I’d have a PPI ( pre purchase inspection ) completed by an independent shop familiar with 981 Porsche’s. You didn’t mention if the car is PDK or manual trans - if it’s a manual trans have them run an Over rev report - if anything range 3 or over turns up move forward with caution.

On a a side note i wish the Senators a good season.
It is a manual transmission. If I PPI the car, which I will do if I buy it, I’ll ask them for that over rev report and I will do it at a Porsche dealer. Anything else you think I should keep my eye out for? Thanks for the reply!

Btw, how did you know where I was from?
Old 10-08-2018, 11:53 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Right below your ame you listed you location as Ottawa.

Things you you should look at or do before buying a used P Car.

CarFax or AutoChek should be clean - if it’s not clean the sale price should reflect that.

PPI with an over rev report. Have them paint Meter the car to make sure the paint is original. Before getting the PPI ask then specifically what they will inspect - are they truly performing a thorough inspection of the car.

Service records - was the car serviced in a timely manner and have all of the recommended services been completed. A lot of Porsche owners will have receipts nd possibly the service booked stamped by the dealer when the services are performed.

Tires - at 60,000 KM and a car that’s nearly 5 years old the tires may be dated and in need of replacement.

is the tool kit complete with the tow hook - with out the tow hook your not getting onto a flatbed tow truck.

Is the Porsche compressor in the frunk. Is the bottle of Porsche slime in the frunk and make sure it’s not expired - i don’t use the Porsche slime but if your stuck in the middle of no where it may be your last resort to fix a punctured tire.

Does the current owner have all the original documentation / manuals that came with the car.

2 sets of keys.

If I missed anything I hope some other members would chime in an add advice.

Quick Reply: 60k km Cayman Burning smell