Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member with pics and a question

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 11:06 PM
omgjeff
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member with pics and a question

Hey all, I bought my first Porsche back in June. It's a 2006 Cayman S with 18k miles and is the dealer showroom optioned car. Although it's my first Porsche I'm familiar with the cars as my dad has always had a few in the garage.. anywhere from a CGT to GT3RS to 356 to 911 RSR tributes. Some of you may know of him from his omgjon username which he's gotten pretty well known for his Ferrari Dino restorations and lately his RSR tribute cars. Anyways, so far I've cleared the side markers, put on some KW coilovers, 10mm F and 15mm R spacers, and some LED taillights. Although the stance looks pretty good right now with the coilovers and the spacers I'd like to get something a little more flush and get rid of the spacers so I can get something with more concavity. I don't and will not track the car so I'm not worried there. My stock 19s are 19x8 57mm offset and 19x9.5 with 46mm offset. I'm thinking staying with the same width wheels so somewhere between 42mm offset for the front and 25mm offset rear should work and get pretty close to what I want, but finding confirmation has been a little tough. Any advice would be appreciated.

Here's a picture of the look I'm going for. Maybe not quite so extreme but close.

Old 10-08-2018, 08:26 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Any rubbing with the current spacer setup? Your new offset should give you close to the stance you want, but I would be worried about some rubbing without rolling the fenders. Luckily, rolling the fenders on these cars is super easy compared to many others.

Since you plan to keep the same width, tire shopping won't be hard. Just be warned that if you go wide, tire availability can be a challenge or expensive.
Now finding wheels with your desired offset could be difficult unless you're going with something a bit more custom. Personally, I would try to find something within 5mm of what you want and then run smaller spacers. That's pretty common practice on Porsches and also provide a great chance of resale of the wheels.

I'm running 19x8 ET+45 front with 5mm spacers and 19x9.5 ET+49 rear with 25mm spacers, but I'll soon be stepping these down to 15mm and going with less extreme rear camber. -3.6 degrees rear, which handles great, but I can't go any more positive without rubbing (already rolled fenders) and -3.6 isn't optimal on all tracks.

Quick Reply: New member with pics and a question