Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new to me 09 Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 11:49 AM
electricfish
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to me 09 Boxster

Hello all, I am leaving the corvette world and giving Boxster a try. Picking up a new-to-me 09 base (52000 miles) this week and I have a few questions.
I do most of my maintenance so what is the best scanner for the DIY guy, I want to be able to access porsche specific codes and reset reminders etc.
PPI is being done by an independent shop, any advice as to what should be checked by me?
I can't find a shop manual for the 987.2, how useful is the bentley and the 101 projects for the 987.2.
I'm sure I will have more questions; I found the corvette forum to be invaluable and the porsche forums seem even better for DIY stuff.

Thanks, E-fish
Old 10-07-2018, 12:18 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome, E-fish and congrats on the Boxster. Would love to see some pics once you take delivery and would be curious to hear initial driving impressions as I suspect a mid-engine platform might prove to be to your liking.

I'm not a DIY'er so can't help with some of your other questions, but I would use Porsche's own CPO checklist as a starting point for a PPI and then go from there. It can be found here:

https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/Cert...-checklist.pdf

Good luck and welcome
Old 10-07-2018, 02:47 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

A Durametric will allow you to perform oil service resets along with a host of other checks including the overrev report and window resets etc. Beyond that you will need a dealer or local tech to assist as the engine management equipment is extremely costly.

Congrats on the new ride and definitely post up some pics when you can.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:51 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The scanner of choice is the Durametric:

http://www.durametric.com/

Not sure that the 101 Projects book applies to the 987.2. There is so much on line info I’ve never actually used a manual for my 981 Cayman.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:17 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Durametric is definitely the Cadillac of scanners, however a lot of us use this one:
Amazon Amazon

Do a thread search on it, lot of commentary, works very well for me for resetting a number of codes, doing diagnosis, quite a bit less expensive.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:14 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

+1 for the icarsoft POR-II. I've had icarsoft scanners for all my cars. While it's never as great as the higher end scan tools or factory software, it has been all I have needed as a DIYer.
Don't buy the older icarsoft unit though, as it can't reset oil change service reminders.

Welcome to the community. I'm sure you'll find the Boxster an enjoyable different driving experience than the Vette, though a lot more cumbersome to work on since it's mid engine.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:50 PM
Klepper
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 138 Posts

Welcome! 987.2 cars are great!
Old 10-08-2018, 04:09 PM
RWPinNC
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
The scanner of choice is the Durametric:

http://www.durametric.com/

Not sure that the 101 Projects book applies to the 987.2. There is so much on line info I’ve never actually used a manual for my 981 Cayman.
The book is a great source for 986 and to some extent 987.1. It covers many common maintenance tasks with great photos and text, well worth the cost. However, I think you would find that there is now much on the internet, including from Pelican Parts that will give you what you need. A lot of tasks change across the various models and you would want to look for updated material in any case.

Quick Reply: new to me 09 Boxster