Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird key issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 07:58 PM
retroz
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird key issues

Hi folks i'm having a few problems with my key,the car is a Boxster 987 2005 2.7 my battery ran flat as the car was not in use for about 8 weeks,first my main key wouldn't open the car so i tried the spare all good now a few days later the spare will not open or lock the car either,i've changed both batteries and the red light is flashing on the key the car starts fine and locks manually via the door lock, any ideas what to do ?
Old 10-06-2018, 10:03 AM
jg (atl)
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 37 Posts

Does the car spend much time sitting outside? Near trees with leaves falling on it? My first impression is that you have a Central Locking Unit issue. The CLU is located under the driver’s seat. There are drains at the front and back of the car which can get clogged with leaves and debris. When the drains get clogged and it rains, the water instead runs down the back of the firewall and into the area below the driver’s seat and soaks the CLU. If the carpet is wet, remove the CLU and dip it in alcohol and then blow it off to dry it. Also check the fuse and the contacts to make sure that they are not corroded. Worst case, the CLU can be replaced, but will need to be programmed for the keys and the car.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:37 AM
retroz
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi thx for the reply,i checked the carpets in both sides of the car they seem dry i live in Ireland so if i ad any leaks i'd soon know lol,i'm thinking they might need reprogrammed to the car i've tried inserting the key turning on the red lights whilst holding the keyfob button,or locking the car manually then opening as i read on a few other posts but none of this works.

Does anyone know the correct method of pairing the keys to the car ?

Quick Reply: Weird key issues