Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone put European Plates on front of Cayaman - Long or Short?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 01:51 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anyone put European Plates on front of Cayaman - Long or Short?

Wondering if anyone has put European plates on the front of their Cayman and if so, long or short version - any pics?

Since I have 4 holes in my front bumper, I don't want to get a clear bra until after I have the bumper repaired. I thought an alternative would be to add a European plate on the front. I ordered the plant and plate bracket and I got the long version. Wow, it seems really long. The mounting bracket has not come yet so I can't see how it looks installed but was thinking that maybe the short version might look better.

Thanks,
Old 10-02-2018, 06:41 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

Not a Cayman but with a long Euro plate.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:28 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

Thanks!

I received the plate and it came with a generic mounting bracket which does not fit the Cayman's rounded bumper. I also ordered the factory mounting bracket from Suncoast but it won't be in until 10/15. Long version seems to look ok with a factory mounting bracket.

At our local PCA Oktoberfest party, I won a clear bra from the Porsche dealership as a raffle prize. I want to get that installed but with the license plate holes in my bumper (4 of them), I think that the Euro plate will solve my problem.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:00 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

You are very welcome!

IIRC, the OEM Euro plate bracket (the one that Suncoast sells) doesn't work with the existing holes for the U.S. plate bracket. You will have to drill more holes to the bracket or the bumper to use that bracket. In the meantime, if you bought your Euro plate from customeuropeanlicenseplates.com as I did, their generic bracket works very well. You just need to bend the plate to fit the contour of the bumper and the bracket is flexible enough to follow the shape of the plate. It worked very well for me.

The following is my thread from the time when I was searching about Euro plate mount. You may find it informative:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...-question.html
Old 10-03-2018, 03:13 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

If your goal is simply to cover the holes, use bumperplugs

Google it
Old 10-03-2018, 08:41 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

Originally Posted by storii
You are very welcome!

IIRC, the OEM Euro plate bracket (the one that Suncoast sells) doesn't work with the existing holes for the U.S. plate bracket. You will have to drill more holes to the bracket or the bumper to use that bracket. In the meantime, if you bought your Euro plate from customeuropeanlicenseplates.com as I did, their generic bracket works very well. You just need to bend the plate to fit the contour of the bumper and the bracket is flexible enough to follow the shape of the plate. It worked very well for me.

The following is my thread from the time when I was searching about Euro plate mount. You may find it informative:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...-question.html
Thanks! I'll have to check it out. I see now that the license plate is curved a bit for our cars.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:42 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

Originally Posted by badabing
If your goal is simply to cover the holes, use bumperplugs

Google it
Plugs would be ok if I only had two holes but prior owner didn't seem to care and was definitely not careful when they drilled multiple holes.

Quick Reply: Anyone put European Plates on front of Cayaman - Long or Short?