Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Porsche Cayman vs. 996 or early 997 base - 25K Budget

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 12:44 PM
charliegunz
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2009 Porsche Cayman vs. 996 or early 997 base - 25K Budget

Hello,

I have been looking at owning my first Porsche over the last several months, and I'm about ready to take the plunge.

About 6 months ago I turned in my Infiniti G37 lease. I work from home and have been trying to 'wing it' without a car, but it's getting annoying... so that's where I'm at today.

I'm in the market for a proper 'sports car'. I grew up enamored with the 911, having always been in complete awe of the car. This car will be my 'daily driver' you can say. However, I don't see myself driving it more than 2-3x per week, since I work from home. I'm 33, single, and have no kids. I am looking to buy the car for “driving experience” and not just the “brand” or “model”. I am a little apprehensive about buying a 12+ year old 911, concerned about maintainability costs and potential issues I may encounter with an older high mileage 911. Once I look at the available options in that light, the first generation Cayman becomes very attractive.

I've taken a few Caymans for a spin, and WOW. I've never driven such a responsive and fun car. Feels like I'm 12 years old again driving my go kart. I most recently saw the Cayman below with PDK transmission, and she's beautiful and well maintained, also well under budget ($25K).

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?LNX=VDPCCEML&listingId=491770777&ownerId=71853211&s earchRadius=0

So the “iconic” vs the “water down 911” argument aside, how does the overall driving experience of the Cayman compare to the base model 996/997...? (For those who have experience with both)
I am not very savvy when it comes to car mechanics. Reliability and cost of ownership is important. I imagine the newer Cayman should present less problems and be easier to maintain?
Is the "911" badge of honor worth the extra dough vs. a newer model Cayman?

I know this argument is quite subjective, driven mostly by personal preference... but just wanted to get some feedback from seasoned Porsche enthusiasts.

Thanks everyone!

Carlos

Last edited by charliegunz; 10-02-2018 at 01:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
igrip (12-17-2022)
Old 10-02-2018, 02:53 PM
Rick_H
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The small difference in power between the 3.4 Cayman S and the 3.6 911 are nearly unnoticeable, but they are completely different cars. Cayman is purely a 2 seater, not that the rear seat on the 911 is huge but it is usable at times. There is a ton of good info on this site about this very decision.

Service Records, Service Records, Service Records..lol I looked for over a year for a Cayman S that fit what I wanted, lower miles, well kept, and did I mention SERVICE RECORDS. This too was my first Porsche purchase, but I always knew I wanted the Cayman, until I can pull the trigger on a GT3.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:11 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

You have to drive both to decide.

My buddy has a Panamera he doesn't like as much as he should (compromise with his wife and each has two kids). He has been jonesing for a Z4-M for years. He drove my Cayman S and loved it. Just what he wants. But, he has been jonesing for a Z4-M.

Since I am such a nice guy, I told him to find one, and I would go with him to look at it. I will tell him if it is worth getting a PPI. Oh, the important part - We will go to look at said Z4-M he hasn't yet found in my Cayman S, and he will drive there. Then he will know which one he wants.

Bottom line - drive both.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:17 PM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

As stated above Drive both, to see what you think. My personal Opinion is below.

I have driven all 3 and ended up with a 2007 Cayman S and could not be happier. The 997 feels more like a GT car to me then a sports car (reminds me more of a 928 from back in the day). It is fast and can be fun be just does not seem to have the same emotion I found driving the Cayman S (not counting the GT3 of course that thing is a beast to drive). The Cayman S to me for some reason seems to evoke more emotion when driving. Reminds me of the older air cooled 911s in that way.

They all are great cars though it comes down to which one talks to you.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:50 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that you will get Cayman biased opinions on the Cayman Board. That said, I'd prefer the Cayman over the three choices but I would want a Cayman "S" vs Base.

I would shy away from the 996 for two reasons: 1) IMS issues, 2) Looks. The 996 is the least popular due to the headlights and the lack of flares. Compared to other 911's it looks very plain.
I would also pass on the 997 if your budget is $25k. I think you would only be able to get a high mileage or low optioned car for that money.

I recently purchased a low mileage (23k miles) 2006 Cayman S and I couldn't be happier - I paid $31k. My friend has an early 1999 996 and I've driven it many times. They are very similar regarding power but I think the Cayman has a much more unique look and doesn't have the plain, non-flared look. The headlights when compared to the Cayman are terrible. Whenever I'm parked next to his car, mine stands out as being more modern and aggressive looking.

A couple of options that I highly recommend: Bi-Xenon headlights, they are very good lights and there is no comparison to the stock 996 headlights. S model has very unique gauges where the backing I white in the daytime with black numbers and then it switches to pitch black at night with bright white numbering. It's very neat how they do that. After that, it's easy to do mods later (I added Cayman R suspension that lowered the car 1" and Boxster Spyder wheels that are 19". These have given the car a much better look in my opinion).

My Cayman with 19" wheels and lowered 1"

Last edited by Tidybuoy; 10-03-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:56 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantviper
The 997 feels more like a GT car to me then a sports car (reminds me more of a 928 from back in the day).
Completely agree. I recently faced the same question and after driving both, opted for the 987. The 997 had more power but it was also heavier and it was a very different driving experience between the RR and the MR. I think the 987 is more fun to drive.
Look how many people own both a Boxster/Cayman and a 911. One is the legendary Porsche blood line, one is just a fun car to toss around.

I also agree with everyone that you'll want a Cayman S. It might be harder to find a 987.2 S in your budget, but there are deals out there.
The 996 is aging and the 997 is going to be hard to find within your budget.
No matter what you choose, you'll definitely enjoy it. Driving a Porsche is a whole different driving experience.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:00 AM
billwot
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by charliegunz
Hello,

I'm in the market for a proper 'sports car'. I grew up enamored with the 911, having always been in complete awe of the car.

Carlos

So was I, until 2006, when Porsche introduced the Cayman!

I've owned sports cars ever since I graduated from college, ( My first was a TR3, so you know that's been a few years ago). The Cayman is much more a pure driver's car than the 911.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:10 PM
RaceDevelopementCenter
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

You will love the cayman S. You can always make it look like a 997 like we did years ago

Old 10-03-2018, 02:08 PM
Rick_H
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Ill add to my above post, my Cayman S makes me smile every time I get behind the wheel....
Old 10-07-2018, 10:58 PM
SeanPatrick31
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

I am biased, but I believe that the 987.2 is one of the most fun and best value sports cars right now. They have proven to be reliable, durable, look great, and are tremendous fun to drive. The engines are improved as is the PCM / NAV (as well as other changes over the 987.1). I prefer a manual, but the PDK is significant improvement over the tip.

Good luck with your search.

Quick Reply: 2009 Porsche Cayman vs. 996 or early 997 base - 25K Budget