Alignmen specs for 981 spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 10:46 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 531 Posts
Default Alignmen specs for 981 spyder?

Having alignment checked on my 981 spyder with 8K miles. Wore the rear OEM Pirellis down to the cord in 7K miles. Car never tracked or autocrossed. Used for weekend cruising and "spirited" driving. Any suggestions on specs or leave it "factory" which it may not be considering tire wear. I know I've always gone through 2 sets of rears to one set of fronts on most P cars I've owned and expected this type of wear on my 2 previous GT3's, but didn't expect it with the Spyder.

Ideas?
Old 09-28-2018, 09:08 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The Spyder has more torque than my GTS, but my OEM Pirelli's have quite a bit of life left in them after 7k miles and 5 track days. Unless you're lighting them up out of every corner and launching it from every stop that seems like excessive tire wear to me. How are they worn? Entire tire surface is worn, inner edge worn more, outer edge worn more?
Old 09-28-2018, 01:27 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

I found the alignment on my X73 Cayman S a bit aggressive, as I do the one on my Spyder, however, I used/use both cars solely for somewhat aggressive pleasure driving, so I've left them both alone. If I were doing more highway cruising, I'd probably relax it. When I had my X73 installed with a pretty aggressive alignment, I had a long conversation with the tech about my options and did a lot of 'test driving' it on different surfaces before I decided to stick with the aggressive alignment. It's not fun cruising on a crowned highway and probably costs some tire life, but it is great in the corners.

Was your tire wear uneven, or even across the tire?
Old 09-28-2018, 04:00 PM
skl
Rennlist Member

Inside both rears down to cord, so I assume agressive neg camber. Didn't check (because of low mileage) before a 1K drive to Denver and a 1K rallye through the Rockies last week. Left rear blew out 10 miles off the Independence Pass as I drove into Leadville. If it had happened 10 miles earlier I would have SOL!! Luckily the Peak to Peak Rallye had a support enclosed trailer which took me to a Discount Tire in suburban Denver- had two new Pirellis waiting!

This is the tire that blew- other one didn't look much better.

Lesson? CHECK YOUR REAR TIRES!!

(needless to say I'm rather embarrassed about it!)
Old 09-28-2018, 04:10 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Holy schnikes. Definitely some uneven wear, but I'm even surprised at the wear across the entire tire at 7k miles. Have you owned the car since new? Only street driving? Always run proper pressures? I had a similar issue on an '04 Touareg, but it had massive alignment and stepper motor problems.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:17 AM
skl
Rennlist Member

Original owner- only one who's ever driven it except for my two boys only rarely (and with me!). Very fastidious with tire pressures- will be interesting to see what the alignment is currently- having it done next Thursday. Will report back.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:44 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Definitely looks like too much negative camber, but I'm surprised that a stock car can get a high enough negative camber value to cause that issue. The rest of the tire is definitely toast as well. It is confusing that you get that much wear in 7k miles though. I'll snap photos of my OE Pirelli's when I get home. They have 6-7k miles, including 4 track days, and aren't that beat up.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:07 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by skl

Inside both rears down to cord, so I assume agressive neg camber. Didn't check (because of low mileage) before a 1K drive to Denver and a 1K rallye through the Rockies last week. Left rear blew out 10 miles off the Independence Pass as I drove into Leadville. If it had happened 10 miles earlier I would have SOL!! Luckily the Peak to Peak Rallye had a support enclosed trailer which took me to a Discount Tire in suburban Denver- had two new Pirellis waiting!

This is the tire that blew- other one didn't look much better.

Lesson? CHECK YOUR REAR TIRES!!

(needless to say I'm rather embarrassed about it!)
Yikes. Those tires are Baldinis without even considering the inside of the tread.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:24 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by skl
Having alignment checked on my 981 spyder with 8K miles. Wore the rear OEM Pirellis down to the cord in 7K miles. Car never tracked or autocrossed. Used for weekend cruising and "spirited" driving. Any suggestions on specs or leave it "factory" which it may not be considering tire wear.
Definitely perplexing. If it was just one tire, I'd be inclined to say it might be defective, but if both rears are in this same condition, then the odds of getting two bad apples narrows sharply.

When my car arrived at the dealer and before I took possession I asked for and received an alignment because I heard the X73 suspension could "settle" during the boat ride over resulting in the alignment being out of whack. Sure enough, my alignment was amiss (only slightly) and was corrected by the dealer before I took delivery of the car. One obvious guess is that your car was way out of alignment upon delivery. I'm unclear (or don't recall) if you have taken the car in yet to see what the alignment settings are. Is/was the car way out of alignment?

This is my alignment spec sheet showing the alignment settings of my Spyder upon delivery to the dealership and then once it was corrected. The small numbers in the top corners of each box show the permissible range. Not sure if this is of any help to you.

I added 1,000 miles on my car driving up to the Reunion this past week and now have 12,500 miles on my original tires. Most of my driving is spirited canyon carving (no track or auto-x) and I'm THRILLED with my wear.

Good luck getting it sorted.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:33 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Ok, if the OEM spec on the Spyder allows up to -2.1° of camber in the rear then this corded patch becomes more reasonable. Given how worn the tire is overall, the camber would reasonably wear that inside edge a bit more. On a different car (not a Porsche) I daily drove for 12k miles on a set of Hankook RS2's with front camber at -2°. Looking across the width of the tire there was an obvious bevel on the inside third of the tire. It still doesn't explain the excessive wear in 7k miles. Drive your car how you will, but roasting a set in 7k seems like a lot of clutch dumps and smoky burnouts.

Here's one of the rear tires off my 981 GTS. 6k-7k miles, 4 track days, rear camber at -1.5°.

Old 10-04-2018, 07:56 PM
skl
Rennlist Member

Update- got the car aligned today at Porsche Chandler. Rear camber was ok but rear toe was WAY off and way out which explains the wear. I bet it was like from new when it was tied down in shipping, etc. Wonder if I can go to Porsche with the specs and have them pay or help pay for the alignment??? Am I dreaming? Car never in accident of any kind and low mileage as noted. And not really a tire issue...
Old 10-05-2018, 12:06 AM
skl
Rennlist Member

Specs before and after: looks like main culprit was rear toe.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:13 AM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by skl
Specs before and after: looks like main culprit was rear toe.
Hmm. Shouldn't excessive toe-in cause wear on the outside edge of the tires and not the inside edge? Are those readings actually reflecting a toe-out condition? Meaning the leading edge measurement is actually larger than the trailing edge? The images to the left of the measurements seem to say so. With the front being opposite.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:51 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Hmm. Shouldn't excessive toe-in cause wear on the outside edge of the tires and not the inside edge? Are those readings actually reflecting a toe-out condition? Meaning the leading edge measurement is actually larger than the trailing edge? The images to the left of the measurements seem to say so. With the front being opposite.
Toe is going to cause wear across the entire tire. With deeper tread you'd see the edges of the blocks feathering. Outside edges of each block indicating toe in. Inside edges indicating toe out. I didn't think toe was a problem with these tires because I didn't see any feathering, but the excessively low remaining tread made it hard to tell. Seeing the numbers it now makes a lot more sense.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:59 AM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

Here was my alignment. I asked for a dealer pre-delivery alignment which was done incorrectly. I brought it to an independent shop that produced the above.

Quick Reply: Alignmen specs for 981 spyder?