Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Queston: Shift Cables & GT3 Shift Console

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 09:19 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Queston: Shift Cables & GT3 Shift Console

I have some questions regarding new shift cables and I am considering installing the GT3 Shift Console. I've read that the GT3 route is better than the short shifter but I'm open to suggestions on this.

I've looked at the parts on Suncoast. The updated shift cables for my 2006 Cayman S require an additional cable update kit. However, when looking at the GT3 console, it looks like the parts for the update kit are included with the console (at least the green item is - see pics). Does anyone know what the other two items are and where they are located on the car and are they part of the GT3 console?

On Picture #2: Do I need these parts? Obviously, the GT3 Console has the Green thing but I don't know what the other two metal parts are for. Since they are charging $375 for these optional parts, I want to find out if I need them or included with GT3 Console.

Last edited by Tidybuoy; 09-26-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:54 PM
Klepper
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Tidybuoy
I have some questions regarding new shift cables and I am considering installing the GT3 Shift Console. I've read that the GT3 route is better than the short shifter but I'm open to suggestions on this.
I went with the Numeric Shifter and cables on my 987.2. I like the fact that it's adjustable as well between "stock like" and short shift.

https://numericracing.com/store/shifter100/

They periodically run group buys in the classified section here for better pricing.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:16 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I will eventually be doing the GT3 Shifter and updated cables on my Spyder and I’m also curious if there’s overlap with parts. Have you tried contacting the place where you intend to order them to see if there is overlap?
Old 10-01-2018, 01:26 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

I'm gonna call Suncoast and ask. It doesn't look like many have done this so I'm having a hard time getting a definative answer
Old 10-02-2018, 01:07 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 91 Posts

The green piece is just an alignment tool, same one used for any Porsche oem shifter console. It is used during install to hold the lever in perfect center position while you connect the shifter cables. Then you remove the green piece and never use it again.

My advice to you with the GT3 shifter, from my own personal experience - skip it and put the money towards the Numeric shifter. I bought the 997.2 GT3 shifter with metal bushings as you've listed in this thread, installed on my 997TT. Absolutely, positively, zero difference in feel over the stock shifter with plastic bushings. None. And trust me, I did everything I could to sell myself on it being a good purchase.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:43 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

I ended up buying the Numeric Shifter & Cables - should be here on Tuesday. A bit expensive but I need to do something as my shifting is getting rougher and rougher.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:25 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The Numeric is righteous! Money well spent.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:39 PM
Alanine
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're going to love the Numeric shifter! Night and day over the stocker.

Quick Reply: Queston: Shift Cables & GT3 Shift Console