Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Spyder on BAT

Old 10-02-2018, 07:16 PM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
It's crazy that averaging 5,666 miles/year is considered excessive, but that's the real world in which we live when it comes to Porsches specifically and collector cars in general. Just so many garage queens that never see the light of day. No way for even a sparingly used car to compete mileage-wise when obsessively non-driven examples are in abundance, if not the norm.
This is giving me pause considering the next 718 Spyder. I currently have a 2015 CS that I take care of but don't wash with a diaper. I'm worried if I get a new Spyder I'll feel too guilty ever driving it. 1000 miles a year isn't enough to count as "enjoying it."
Old 10-02-2018, 07:31 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

It's crazy that averaging 5,666 miles/year is considered excessive, but that's the real world in which we live when it comes to Porsches specifically and collector cars in general. Just so many garage queens that never see the light of day. No way for even a sparingly used car to compete mileage-wise when obsessively non-driven examples are in abundance, if not the norm.
A purist car that's specifically designed for back-roads and is truly engaging (light, low, loud, and stiff) is not meant to be enjoyed for more than 2-3k miles a year. In the north-east where the driving season lasts 6 months, 2k miles/yr amounts to 40 1hr back-road joyrides per season, or 2 per week. If you put 2k miles/yr on two such cars, that's 4 1hr joyrides per week. That's a lot of joyrides even for someone who's retired and has nothing better to do with their time.

If someone uses such a car for commuting, stuck in traffic, or for some other utilitarian purpose while putting many miles on it, that doesn't mean that he's "using" it or "enjoying" it more than someone who uses it as described above.

And mileage depreciation is strongly non-linear. The first 10k miles cost much more than the second, which cost more than the third, etc. A 1k mile car driven to 10k miles will depreciate much more %-wise than a 30k mile car driven to 40k miles.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:15 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Yeah, I agree this wasn't great for the seller.

Assuming auction value is $80,000 though, and original MSRP is $91,000 (actually quite surprised he paid over sticker, many of these cars sat unsold at MSRP initially) -- that's not terrible for what is essentially almost 3 years of ownership. ~12% depreciation at auction value, high mileage for the class of buyers, not too much warranty left, no CPO.

Not much room though for a dealer.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:17 PM
guab
Pro

Originally Posted by hf1
A purist car that's specifically designed for back-roads and is truly engaging (light, low, loud, and stiff) is not meant to be enjoyed for more than 2-3k miles a year. In the north-east where the driving season lasts 6 months, 2k miles/yr amounts to 40 1hr back-road joyrides per season, or 2 per week. If you put 2k miles/yr on two such cars, that's 4 1hr joyrides per week. That's a lot of joyrides even for someone who's retired and has nothing better to do with their time.

If someone uses such a car for commuting, stuck in traffic, or for some other utilitarian purpose while putting many miles on it, that doesn't mean that he's "using" it or "enjoying" it more than someone who uses it as described above.

And mileage depreciation is strongly non-linear. The first 10k miles cost much more than the second, which cost more than the third, etc. A 1k mile car driven to 10k miles will depreciate much more %-wise than a 30k mile car driven to 40k miles.
That's actually a really great way of putting it. Even in AZ, I don't think I could easily put more than ~3500 miles a year on my Spyder. I would gladly add another P car to the garage, but it wouldn't be a GT car. Probably a TTS or GTS, CPO, and I would rack up miles on it without concern. But I split daily use. I probably wouldn't average more than 5-7k for any car I daily to begin with. Spyder is a keeper though. There really isn't anything as fun or engaging on the street that I have found -- even at double the price. And with dundon race headers... the sound, oh the sound!
Old 10-02-2018, 08:59 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I guess it's how you define "well sold." Recall this seller paid $103, it sold for $76, so he got back $27 less than what he paid. He thus took a 26% hit according to my trusty TI slide rule calculator on a car which, other than lacking LWBs, is not a horrible build and has been holding its value better than most. Not sure I would be feeling too cheery if I was the seller.

And then look at it this way: We've seen 987 Spyders sell in the high 60's right? This car brought less than $6-7K over a nicely equipped 987 Spyder. Again, if I'm the seller, this wouldn't leave me jumping for joy. With all due respect to our 987 Spyder friends, I think most would agree that there is -- or should be -- more than a $7K price spread between a 3-year old 981 Spyder and a 6-7 year old 987, and yet that wasn't the case here.

Yeah, I'm feeling a little battered and bruised if I'm the seller. He definitely paid the price (literally) for agreeing to be charged over sticker and having the audacity to drive the car on average 5,666 miles/year -- for shame!! -- so you can always say he brought it on himself I suppose.

I wouldn’t feel battered at all, there’s many reasons why one Spyder could sell higher/lower than another. Remember that there are many 987 Spyders that also sell in the low $50’s due to mileage, options and condition. I also think the season comes into play here, this car is being sold at the absolute worst time possible and the dealer likely decided to get it off the books before winter rather than carry it for 5 months to gain another $6k in sale value.

As far as mileage remember many of these cars are in the hands of owners that have multiple cars available and they spread their driving time across the cars. Let’s face it, the Spyder is one of the best sunny day fun car so it’s use is generally limited.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:46 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Stupid price for that car. Seller should give thanks to the Gods.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:17 PM
hf1
Banned

No idea what these dealers are thinking accumulating all these 981 Spyders in inventory going into winter and ahead of the (non-turbo) 718 Spyder announcement. There are 23 listed for sale by Porsche dealers on porscheusa.com. A dealer just bid up and bought this one on BaT to add to another one he has sitting in inventory unsold. It's like the Hunt brothers cornering the silver market.

From purely driver's (not collector's) perspective, I still think a Boxster S with sport suspension and sport exhaust is the better bargain at half the Spyder's price. I'll take one in yellow.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:04 PM
guab
Pro

Originally Posted by hf1
No idea what these dealers are thinking accumulating all these 981 Spyders in inventory going into winter and ahead of the (non-turbo) 718 Spyder announcement. There are 23 listed for sale by Porsche dealers on porscheusa.com. A dealer just bid up and bought this one on BaT to add to another one he has sitting in inventory unsold. It's like the Hunt brothers cornering the silver market.

From purely driver's (not collector's) perspective, I still think a Boxster S with sport suspension and sport exhaust is the better bargain at half the Spyder's price. I'll take one in yellow.
Both are good cars. I don't like how the regular boxster looks, so would never consider one unless it was the Spyder. I have driven an S with those options back to back as well... do agree it comes close, but not quite there. For many that would equate to a better value. Just isn't for me. I have zero cares about collectibility. Overall, willing to pay the delta.

I'm also curious as you are to why dealers seem to be loading up on these. Maybe they're expecting an underwhelming 718 launch for the Spyder.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:44 PM
hf1
Banned

Originally Posted by guab
Both are good cars. I don't like how the regular boxster looks, so would never consider one unless it was the Spyder. I have driven an S with those options back to back as well... do agree it comes close, but not quite there. For many that would equate to a better value. Just isn't for me. I have zero cares about collectibility. Overall, willing to pay the delta.
I get that. The Turbo steering rack and the extra HP must make a difference. One issue I have with the Spyder is the manual roof. Heated seats are also somewhat important (for crisp spring/fall mornings with the top down) which erases Spyder's LWB advantage vs the S. In terms of looks, I find the simpler, cleaner lines of the S equally attractive. I'll be traveling in the next month or so which means my driving season is over. Looking forward to an interesting winter shopping for an S or Spyder. It may come down to whichever comes first with enticing color, specs and a deal.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:51 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Definitely a changeling of a color. Looks so different in different lights. I've gone back and forth from loving it to hating it and back over the years. Currently I'm back in the love it category.

I bet that car sells for $70-73k.
Agree - very blue hue to it in sunlight. That's why I paid for GT Silver - it's just a very pure, beautiful silver. Especially nice on the 981.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:35 AM
guab
Pro

Originally Posted by hf1
I get that. The Turbo steering rack and the extra HP must make a difference. One issue I have with the Spyder is the manual roof. Heated seats are also somewhat important (for crisp spring/fall mornings with the top down) which erases Spyder's LWB advantage vs the S. In terms of looks, I find the simpler, cleaner lines of the S equally attractive. I'll be traveling in the next month or so which means my driving season is over. Looking forward to an interesting winter shopping for an S or Spyder. It may come down to whichever comes first with enticing color, specs and a deal.
Yeah, I think they do. At least to me. I'm sure the car would still be fun with less power. Top never really bothered me. I do sometimes wish the car had an axle lift. I dislike alcantara though. I like the look, but I do think I would prefer leather with cooled seats -- so hear you there. Can't go wrong either way -- sounds like the S or a GTS is probably a good fit. Haven't looked at value delta between those two though, and if I was buying a GTS I would have deleted the alcantara, at least from the seats, shifter, and steering wheel.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:23 PM
hf1
Banned

Yeah, I think they do. At least to me. I'm sure the car would still be fun with less power. Top never really bothered me. I do sometimes wish the car had an axle lift. I dislike alcantara though. I like the look, but I do think I would prefer leather with cooled seats -- so hear you there. Can't go wrong either way -- sounds like the S or a GTS is probably a good fit. Haven't looked at value delta between those two though, and if I was buying a GTS I would have deleted the alcantara, at least from the seats, shifter, and steering wheel.
I agree about the alcantara and much prefer the leather for the seat, shifter, and wheel, too. The GTS premium vs S is high especially when compared to low mile, clean 2013/14 CPO S cars. The problem with the S is that the "mini-Spyder" option package of sport suspension, sport exhaust, and heated sport plus seats is VERY rare, which I find somewhat surprising. Where were all these Spyder fans to order these options on their S cars in 2013-15?

Btw, did the Sport Seats Plus come with both heating AND cooling as options on the S -- or did heating & cooling only work with the standard sport seats?
Old 10-04-2018, 01:15 PM
guab
Pro

Originally Posted by hf1

Originally Posted by hf1
I agree about the alcantara and much prefer the leather for the seat, shifter, and wheel, too. The GTS premium vs S is high especially when compared to low mile, clean 2013/14 CPO S cars. The problem with the S is that the "mini-Spyder" option package of sport suspension, sport exhaust, and heated sport plus seats is VERY rare, which I find somewhat surprising. Where were all these Spyder fans to order these options on their S cars in 2013-15?

Btw, did the Sport Seats Plus come with both heating AND cooling as options on the S -- or did heating & cooling only work with the standard sport seats?
From what I recall, the 18-ways had cooling and heating as options -- but you cannot get cooling without heating.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:28 PM
hf1
Banned

From what I recall, the 18-ways had cooling and heating as options -- but you cannot get cooling without heating.
Yes, but most seats I've seen in the S with heating & cooling were the Sport Seats (2-way or 18-way), not the Sport Seats Plus (with the larger side bolsters, I think only a $600 option) that came standard in the GTS and the Spyder. The 2-way Sport Seats Plus (heated and cooled) would be ideal, as you save both weight and head-room by avoiding the 18-way seat motors. I've tried them and they fit perfectly.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:03 PM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Timing is everything when selling something. Also auctions are a good way to not get your price.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 Spyder on BAT