Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some general Boxster/Cayman questions (987)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 12:15 PM
mgp2675
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some general Boxster/Cayman questions (987)

Hi everyone,

Let me say first that if I'm posting this in the wrong section or if people have asked these questions before, I apologize. This is my first time on this forum and from what I saw, this is the area to discuss the 987 in general. I searched for the information I'm looking for, but it came up with lots of results for different cars and model years, and this question is specific to the 2005-2012 model years. I've been a member of many forums and I also hate seeing the same question asked a million times, so I understand.

I owned a Honda S2000 over ten years ago and have wanted another roadster ever since. I am close to being able to buy a Sunday car, so I'm starting to look around more now. I did a search the other day and there were a decent amount of Boxsters and even some Boxster S models that fit my budget. I'd mainly be looking at the 2005-2007 model years as I can't afford the newer ones, and I'd want a manual transmission.

It seems like these cars have depreciated a fair amount, at least compared to the S2000. This isn't a huge concern for me because I'm not buying a car to flip it, but I am concerned with the cost of ownership overall. I've never owned a German car, but I have heard horror stories. I'd be looking for a car with around 50,000 miles so it wouldn't be incredibly high, but the car would likely be over 10 years old. So while I'm not necessarily expecting this car to be as reliable as a Honda, are these cars generally reliable?

To clarify, what I mean by generally reliable is other than doing routine maintenance (oil, brakes, tires, spark plugs, etc.) do these cars typically have other issues that make it more expensive to own? Are brakes typically more expensive than the average car?

For anyone who can answer my questions, I really appreciate it. Other than test driving one right now, there isn't much else I can do. I am trying to learn as much as I can, and I can't think of a better way of doing that than asking people who own or have owned these cars.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:28 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bottom line is Porsches ARE expensive to maintain an repair. You can save a few $$ by going to an independent shop (or repair yourself) but part prices are not cheap. The cars are generally reliable but as mileage climbs, costs will be expected. The drill is to find a car you like in your price range, ask for maintenance records, road test, get a "PPI" (pre-purschase inspection) and go from there. Others will comment on issues they may have had on their Porsche. Good luck!
Old 09-20-2018, 03:05 PM
mgp2675
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Rick-A-Shay
Bottom line is Porsches ARE expensive to maintain an repair. You can save a few $$ by going to an independent shop (or repair yourself) but part prices are not cheap. The cars are generally reliable but as mileage climbs, costs will be expected. The drill is to find a car you like in your price range, ask for maintenance records, road test, get a "PPI" (pre-purschase inspection) and go from there. Others will comment on issues they may have had on their Porsche. Good luck!
Thanks for the info. I've always heard that German cars cost a lot to maintain, and everyone always has different opinions on that. Like I said I don't mind having to spend money on the traditional repairs, especially since I'd probably drive the car maybe 250 miles per month mileage wouldn't get very high quickly. But if it's $3,000 per job and problems occur regularly at 40k-50k miles, then that's a problem.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:28 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Boxsters in the 2005-2008 range are subject to the IMS bearing issue. I think it affects around 8% of the cars. If the IMS goes you are hosed. Preventive kits are out there. Will run you around $2,500-$3,000 in the end for the preventive kit. But better than grenading the engine. A woman with a Boxster S that parked next to me in the garage at work lost hers two months ago due to IMS failure. That is why the 2009 and up Boxsters/Caymans are so much more expensive. No IMS issue.

The Caymans are much less prone to IMS failure. I think the rate on those is as low as 1%. This is because they didn't debut until 2006.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:54 PM
janderson3
1st Gear

The previous post mentioned that around 8% of the Boxsters in the 2005-2008 range have IMS bearing troubles. I think that this number is likely wildly inflated and speculative at best. Don't let that number scare you off if you find a good car in one of those model years.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:28 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 137 Posts

The 8 percent is internet gossip.
I have had exactly the car you're looking for for two years, a 2007 Boxster S. Bought it 8000 miles ago with 45k miles on it. So far other than oil and brake fluid and a set of pads after a few track days it has cost me nothing. I did change the shocks to those on the Cayman Rs but that was my choice.

I belong to a track oriented PCA group and know and deal with a lot of reputable shops who no doubt wouldn't mind changing out the IMS if I insisted, but no one has ever seen a 987.1 from this generation bearing fail.

my car was a steal at 22.5k. It's been amazingly nice to own so far and of course to drive.

anyway that's my experience, for what it's worth.

Andy
Old 09-20-2018, 04:41 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Get a PPI on the car first, but my experience with three Porsches so far including a 2008 987.1 is that they are incredibly reliable. Consumables are not that expensive, oil, brakes, etc. - really no different than any car. Repairs likewise. Can't speak to IMS other than the rumors, but agree it seems to be smaller than what you hear.

What is your budget? Plenty of 987.2's out there that are great deals.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:16 PM
mgp2675
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by daylorb
Get a PPI on the car first, but my experience with three Porsches so far including a 2008 987.1 is that they are incredibly reliable. Consumables are not that expensive, oil, brakes, etc. - really no different than any car. Repairs likewise. Can't speak to IMS other than the rumors, but agree it seems to be smaller than what you hear.

What is your budget? Plenty of 987.2's out there that are great deals.
Nice to hear that you've had a generally positive experience with Porsche's. My budget is $17,000. I could maybe do $18,000 but that's pushing it. Most of the cars I've seen have been 987.1's. I'm looking for one with less than 50,000 miles.

The IMS issue is very scary and it's something to consider no matter what the percentage is.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:29 PM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 298 Posts

To each their own but I sure as hell wouldn’t want to buy a $17k 987. If you can’t swing a few grand per year in maintenance I would look elsewhere. Not trying to be a dick but these cars are not Hondas. As others have said even if only typical maintenance items go, it will still be expensive.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:52 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Compared to an S2000, I think you'll be most satisfied with an S and not a Base. Both cars handle amazingly well, but even the S can lack a bit of power in the straights. Though, it very quickly makes up for this by being one of the best handling cars ever. Both the Base and S will leave a smile on your face and they are cars that you can still got WOT on public roads without getting into too much trouble.
Expand your search to include all 987.1s (2005-2008).

The IMS bearing issue is scary. Make sure the car has good service history and has actually been driven, not just sitting for years at a time. But also avoid something too high mileage. I recently bought a 2008 and felt reassured when most people said the IMS only had about a 1% failure rate. These were the last years that they had the IMS bearing in these cars, so it was the best bearing that Porsche had to offer at the time.
Remember, this is the internet... People go online to complain when something breaks, but often forget to leave positive comments when things don't break.

As for maintenance costs, I know the S2K was considerably pricier to maintain than your typical Honda. The prices depend on what you're used to. I come from a background of tuning/racing Volvos (P1 Volvos share half their parts with Ford/Mazda). I find Porsche parts to be in the same ballpark of prices of other modern cars I have worked on, including a 2013 Accord. If you turn your own wrenches, the cost is nothing. Just be prepared for mid-engine awkward access which is even further hindered by the convertible top.
did an oil change, spark plug change, and air filter change, total cost was about $120 for parts from FCP Euro (with their lifetime warranty) and took me about 2 hours.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:28 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereT
did an oil change, spark plug change, and air filter change, total cost was about $120 for parts from FCP Euro (with their lifetime warranty) and took me about 2 hours.
I'd like to see the cost breakdown. It certainly cost more than that for me to DIY for air filter and oil change alone and I don't order my parts from the dealer.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:31 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by 850tgul
To each their own but I sure as hell wouldn’t want to buy a $17k 987. If you can’t swing a few grand per year in maintenance I would look elsewhere. Not trying to be a dick but these cars are not Hondas. As others have said even if only typical maintenance items go, it will still be expensive.
What people don't realize is they're buying a 10+ year old car... and likely passed hands several times...

And M96/M97 achilles heels like the waterpump need to be changed in regular interval whether you like it or not.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:39 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ekam
I'd like to see the cost breakdown. It certainly cost more than that for me to DIY for air filter and oil change alone and I don't order my parts from the dealer.

And two 5 quart bottles of Mobile-1 0W40, which cost $21 each at our Wally World. Obviously not using 10 quarts of oil, so that was about $120 total.
Could have been cheaper if I didn't use Genuine Porsche filters.

FCP does lifetime warranties on everything (wipers, brakes, filters, etc.), so I just mail back my old filters/spark plugs and get a full refund in store credit for my next purchase.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:58 AM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ekam
I'm definitely under $200 for this and about 2hrs. Add a brake fluid flush for $25 and another 15 minutes. If it were me, and this is how I bought my Cayenne, I wouldn't be so concerned about the low mileage/under 40K with a car that is over 10 years old. I'd actually rather buy it around 70K miles after it has had the later service and replace some of the wear parts. I'd also spend slightly more up front to avoid the headaches down the road. Something like this: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...elCode1=BOXSTE, negotiate it to $23K... looking pretty interesting.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:03 PM
jdallasries
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove essentially what you’re looking for recently at a local dealer. It was a 987.1 Boxster listed for $18k with around 50k miles. It was a great car and drove very nicely. I posted just to say that there are sub 20k cars out there that are a great deal but keep your eyes open and do your research.

Quick Reply: Some general Boxster/Cayman questions (987)