Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got Racked, Yakima-Style!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 07:10 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Got Racked, Yakima-Style!

I have been looking for a rack set up for my R since I bought it a few months ago. I use it for carrying hockey bags and sticks and sometimes tires or wheels.

I settled on the Yakima landing pads and aero bars and the Yakima Off Grid Medium basket.

It works really well. The only possible drawback is taking off the landing pads(the plastic/rubber pieces that screw into the mounting points) is a little fiddly.

I bought it through Rack Attack who were decent to work with and have a store near me in Skokie, Il.
--Michael

Here are some shots I took today:

Old 09-18-2018, 07:49 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the pics. I was thinking about going this direction for my '09 Cayman S. Is that the SkyLine Towers with the number 11 landing pads?
Old 09-18-2018, 07:51 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,241 Likes on 572 Posts

Awesome. Now time for a road trip to Argentina!
Old 09-18-2018, 08:17 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HalV
Thanks for the pics. I was thinking about going this direction for my '09 Cayman S. Is that the SkyLine Towers with the number 11 landing pads?
Yes exactly. They fit well.
--Michael
Old 09-18-2018, 10:52 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Looks good. That wouldn't hold 4 wheels and tires mounted would it? Please pave my path to takeoff slicks!
Old 09-18-2018, 11:11 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
Looks good. That wouldn't hold 4 wheels and tires mounted would it? Please pave my path to takeoff slicks!
Oh no. I usually just put two up there. I would need to make a flat platform to fit on top of the bars to carry four.
--Michael
Old 09-19-2018, 03:08 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Way, Way OT

Originally Posted by XavierLaFlamme
I have been looking for a rack set up for my R since I bought it a few months ago. I use it for carrying hockey bags and sticks

Had to chuckle. A roof rack like this one would have come in handy when I played hockey in high school (goalie). I had a '77 Triumph Spitfire at the time, which could just barely accommodate in the passenger seat my huge equipment bag filled with my leg pads, gloves, pants, chest protector, mask, skates, sticks, etc., etc.

After victories, we would have epic parties which I would drive to with my sweetee directly from the rink. Poor thing. She would hop in first and then I would cram my bag full of gear in on top of her as there was no other place for it. Thought for sure she might smother, but she was a trooper and didn't mind the indignity of it.

Figured any woman that would allow herself to be stuffed sardine-style into a tiny two-seater with a huge bag of sweaty, smelly, hockey equipment smashing her into the seatback must be genuinely fond of me. No complaints, not a whimper, always a smile on her face -- unlike other girls who, understandably, weren't as thrilled. Ended up marrying her years later.

Prom shots of us. Can't tell from these pics but my tux was actually light orange. Yep. ORANGE.

Spitfire slightly visible in background. Some great times in that car!

Thanks for indulging my trip down Memory Lane triggered by visions of XLF carrying his hockey equipment in that beautiful R!
Old 09-19-2018, 07:17 AM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Had to chuckle. A roof rack like this one would have come in handy when I played hockey in high school (goalie). I had a '77 Triumph Spitfire at the time, which could just barely accommodate in the passenger seat my huge equipment bag filled with my leg pads, gloves, pants, chest protector, mask, skates, sticks, etc., etc.

After victories, we would have epic parties which I would drive to with my sweetee directly from the rink. Poor thing. She would hop in first and then I would cram my bag full of gear in on top of her as there was no other place for it. Thought for sure she might smother, but she was a trooper and didn't mind the indignity of it.

Figured any woman that would allow herself to be stuffed sardine-style into a tiny two-seater with a huge bag of sweaty, smelly, hockey equipment smashing her into the seatback must be genuinely fond of me. No complaints, not a whimper, always a smile on her face -- unlike other girls who, understandably, weren't as thrilled. Ended up marrying her years later.

Prom shots of us. Can't tell from these pics but my tux was actually light orange. Yep. ORANGE.

Spitfire slightly visible in background. Some great times in that car!

Thanks for indulging my trip down Memory Lane triggered by visions of XLF carrying his hockey equipment in that beautiful R!
That is an excellent story! Fantastic! Yes, I have a rack and basket on my 993 too just to keep that toxic stuff out of the cabin.

I drove to my prom with my best friend and our dates in a 1937 Buick Century. Just about the opposite of your set up. It was his dad's car. Purple bow ties. Not nearly as awesome as an orange tux though.

We had to roll start on a hill at 2 am. It had running boards though which made it fun.

Take care,
Michael
Old 09-19-2018, 09:46 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

I LOVE a Porsche with a roof rack. It shows that these can be every day cars.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:13 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

That's awesome!

I've found that the factory roof racks can be, let's say, re-purposed. I think I still have this original 944/968 roof rack, complete with "track tire jig" somewhere.

Gotta love practical Porsche use!
Old 09-19-2018, 10:22 AM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Fantastic. Did you make the jig? I would be curious to see a photo of just that so I can make one!!!
--Michael
Old 09-19-2018, 05:32 PM
SeanPatrick31
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Looks great Michael!
Old 09-20-2018, 12:48 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by XavierLaFlamme
Fantastic. Did you make the jig? I would be curious to see a photo of just that so I can make one!!!
--Michael
I did. Kinda crude, but here was my, uhm, drawing. I'd have to dig the rack out and look at it, but if memory serves it's crossmembers with PVC pipes to center the wheels. Tied them down hard with ratcheting strap and ran a cable with lock through all four... so's to prevent unplanned departure of property.

One set of lightweight racing wheels and Hoosiers came in just under the weight limit for the rack.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:06 AM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Haha. Your drawing skill is as good as mine! I love it.

That shouldn't be too hard. It will give me more reasons to spend(waste) money at Lowes.

Thanks,
Michael

Quick Reply: Got Racked, Yakima-Style!