Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Public Service Announcement - flat tire

Old 09-16-2018, 05:14 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Public Service Announcement - flat tire

In recent years, P-cars don't come with a spare tire. They have an air compressor and a can of goo which is 'supposed to' get the tire safely inflated. I say 'supposed to' because many flats can't be fixed that way -- the puncture is too large. I have a 987.2 Boxster S, but the topic is really Porsche-wide since (I think) none of the current line come with spare tires. I didn't like being without one.

So in my recent Porsches I've installed a mini-spare tire, (which I bought from dismantling companies) in the frunk. I had my shop make a mounting bracket and it's in there nice and secure, along with jack, the compressor and goo, gloves (to keep me clean) and a giant garbage bag (to keep the car clean since the damaged tire is too big to fit anywhere but inside the cabin).

I planned to write this message a few weeks ago in response to reading a recent posting about flats on a 981 but didn't get around to it. I guess the gods wanted this message posted because, wouldn't you know it, after more than 10 years of driving 2 different Porsches without any such problems, a few days ago I got a flat. It was rainy and I was 70 miles from home. If I hadn't gotten the spare, the car would have had to be flatbedded away, and I would have had to stay overnight in a motel (for at least 1 or maybe 2 nights [without any car] while waiting for a replacement tire since Pilot Super Sport 275x18 tires are not on-hand at every tire shop) and only then be able to get home.

Instead, the fix was easy to do and I was home only an hour or so late.

The moral: get a spare tire.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:36 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Or just use the slime kit. Works great. Easy.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:31 PM
MatthewinGA
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bottle of goo is gone, so it must have been used in the past 12 years.

I’m going to get a can of “fix-a-flat” to store in the frunk for an emergency.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:37 PM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I've heard the the 'goo to get' is the Slime TPMS safe. The Porsche stuff can apparently harm the sensor.
Is there anyone here with real experience?
Old 09-17-2018, 12:03 AM
MatthewinGA
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GregWormald
I've heard the the 'goo to get' is the Slime TPMS safe. The Porsche stuff can apparently harm the sensor.
What about “Fix-a-flat?” It says “tire sensor safe” on the front of the can.

Is that okay or just use Slime brand?
Old 09-17-2018, 02:33 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by fhp911
In recent years, P-cars don't come with a spare tire. They have an air compressor and a can of goo which is 'supposed to' get the tire safely inflated. I say 'supposed to' because many flats can't be fixed that way -- the puncture is too large. I have a 987.2 Boxster S, but the topic is really Porsche-wide since (I think) none of the current line come with spare tires. I didn't like being without one.

So in my recent Porsches I've installed a mini-spare tire, (which I bought from dismantling companies) in the frunk. I had my shop make a mounting bracket and it's in there nice and secure, along with jack, the compressor and goo, gloves (to keep me clean) and a giant garbage bag (to keep the car clean since the damaged tire is too big to fit anywhere but inside the cabin).

I planned to write this message a few weeks ago in response to reading a recent posting about flats on a 981 but didn't get around to it. I guess the gods wanted this message posted because, wouldn't you know it, after more than 10 years of driving 2 different Porsches without any such problems, a few days ago I got a flat. It was rainy and I was 70 miles from home. If I hadn't gotten the spare, the car would have had to be flatbedded away, and I would have had to stay overnight in a motel (for at least 1 or maybe 2 nights [without any car] while waiting for a replacement tire since Pilot Super Sport 275x18 tires are not on-hand at every tire shop) and only then be able to get home.

Instead, the fix was easy to do and I was home only an hour or so late.

The moral: get a spare tire.
Thanks for sharing.

Sounds like the tire wasn’t repairable? What do you do with the wheel and tire if you have a passenger?
Old 09-17-2018, 07:23 AM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by MatthewinGA
What about “Fix-a-flat?” It says “tire sensor safe” on the front of the can.

Is that okay or just use Slime brand?
Anything sensor safe should be fine. The Slime was at my local shop and got good reviews on-line.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:09 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

BryanCO raises a good question:

What do you do with the wheel and tire if you have a passenger?
Answer: You've got a problem --- the passenger puts the tire on his/her lap?
Old 09-17-2018, 02:28 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by GregWormald
Don't recall having to pay for a new sensor when I used the Porsche kit, but I can't recall for sure. I know I've harped on this before, but I was shocked at how easy to use the Porsche kit was and how good it worked. And I had a good 1/2"-3/4' flat piece of metal in my tire.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:40 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

With the 200 mile tow radius package. I drive my car over 200 miles from my home maybe 1-2% of the time. I can live with those odds.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:51 PM
MatthewinGA
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Don't recall having to pay for a new sensor when I used the Porsche kit, but I can't recall for sure. I know I've harped on this before, but I was shocked at how easy to use the Porsche kit was and how good it worked. And I had a good 1/2"-3/4' flat piece of metal in my tire.
Let’s just say your wheel is in good condition when you get to the repair shop.

Are they going to want to just replace the sensor anyway? I mean it’s glued in place.

Do you keep the tire if it had a nail hole and filled with repair goo?

That would change the balance.

Old 09-17-2018, 03:06 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

My dealer just put a new tire on and cleaned up the wheel. No big deal and I’m almost certain that I did not replace the sensor. I’ll see if I still have the paperwork, but that cars been sold, so unlikely.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:10 PM
audi49
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts

Resurrecting this thread... I just picked up a 2008 Boxster. Not having a spare is new to me. And i know this has been discussed frequently, but a few basic questions...
-will either the front or rear wheel+tire fit in the frunk, in the trunk?
-does there exist a pre-inflated space saver tire that would fit in the frunk or trunk? (was the 986 spare a space saver or was it one of those that is not inflated till you need it?)
Thanks.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:29 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 952 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by audi49
Resurrecting this thread... I just picked up a 2008 Boxster. Not having a spare is new to me. And i know this has been discussed frequently, but a few basic questions...
-will either the front or rear wheel+tire fit in the frunk, in the trunk?
-does there exist a pre-inflated space saver tire that would fit in the frunk or trunk? (was the 986 spare a space saver or was it one of those that is not inflated till you need it?)
Thanks.
AFAIK, no full size wheel and tire, F or R, will fit in the frunk.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:25 AM
algiorda
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I keep a plug kit in my vehicle. Between that and the compressor I should be good unless I get sidewall damage or a complete blow-out. I've used the plug-kit twice once my Cadillac SUV and another on my Boxster and both times it worked great. The tire lasted for months until I replaced them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Public Service Announcement - flat tire