Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Cayman GTS swap with 996 GT3 mk1..Deal ore no deal?

Old 09-16-2018, 02:21 PM
Georg Johannessen
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Cayman GTS swap with 996 GT3 mk1..Deal ore no deal?

Hello Dear Porsche friends,
I currently have a 2015 Porsche cayman GTS (agate gray interior and exterior), with 113500km on the clock. Great car with good history from porsche zenter olympia park, in München, and a one year porsche approved warranty that last until June next year.
A week ago I got an offer to swap my cayman in for a 2000 911/996 GT3 (76 000km) with a Manthey racing K4100 kit. The car is more ore less spotless, with the buckets seats, titanium roal cage, unibal suspension, cup 2 tires, Black interior and artic silver exterior.
The swap is a direct swap, meaning no money in between.
My question is..is this a really bad deal 😳🤔?
I know my GTS still will loose it’s value a couple of years further, but looking at the prices here in Norway the past late summer, it seems like they are all dropping. Even the GT cars.
Don’t know if this is a question that can be answered at all ore if it all just comes down to what do you want in a car. That having said, i have owned several previous Porsches in my life but never a GT car. And my knowledge about these race cars is more ore less like zero.
I’m happy with any comments and reply’s.
Thanks!
-Georg-
Old 09-17-2018, 08:55 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

If it was me, I'd probably go for the 911. Mostly because the value will keeps rising here in the States, where the GTS will never hold the same value that the GT3 will.
Also because I'm into to tracking and it sounds like that 911 is track ready.

But it ultimately depends on how long term you plan to keep the car and what you want out of it. Is this a daily or a weekend toy?

A better question: If money/value wasn't a consideration, would you rather own a newer Cayman GTS or an older GT3?
Old 09-17-2018, 09:06 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

That would be a tough one for me. I'd take a 7GT3 for sure. Your car can probably be made to be about the same pace at track, and is much newer so less stuff will fail. If you do any street driving I'd keep the GTS. Track car only, probably the GT3.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:48 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
That would be a tough one for me. I'd take a 7GT3 for sure. Your car can probably be made to be about the same pace at track, and is much newer so less stuff will fail. If you do any street driving I'd keep the GTS. Track car only, probably the GT3.
Seconded.

The 981 GTS is 15 years newer. That's 15 years of improvements. Yeah the 996 GT3 is a 911 and the top tier track version of it's generation, but it's dated. In stock form I don't think the 996 GT3 is much or any faster around a race track than a 981 GTS. All you're getting in this swap is a GT3 badge, reduced road comfort, and increased road noise. I would love to drive that 996 GT3 as I'm sure it's an amazing, raw, visceral experience at the race track. I'd still prefer to take the 981 GTS home at the end of the day. Also, if this 996 GT3 is a wonderful deal why is the owner wanting to trade it for something supposedly inferior?
Old 09-17-2018, 10:28 AM
Georg Johannessen
AutoX

Hello you Guys,

Many interesting thoughts. The main reason why I'm keen on swaping is not loosing to much money. I could always swap back, next year. I belive the GT3 will keep it's vaule better.
The owner, of the GT3, is just as doubtful as me. He also has a 2018 Carrera 991.2 GTS4, which he loves. He told me that he was just as corious about the Cayman GTS, as I'm on the GT3.
Don't think, i belive, it's any thing wrong with the car. It was sold from a Porsche Center here in Norway 1.5 years ago and has done 1500km since. The main reason he is selling it, is because it's just sitting in the garage.
I haven't done much trackday driving my selfe in my life, but I'm corious and want to try it.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:08 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Two completely different cars.
I don't think there is a wrong answer.
If you are both curious, why not make the swap? Maybe put something in the agreement that if both of you are unhappy after 30 or 60 days (or whatever) you will swap back.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:51 PM
bminingham
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

In my opinion, keep the GTS. Less problems, same speed for the most part. And I am actually in the camp that the 981GTS will hold its value very well after initial depreciation due to it being the last naturally aspirated mid-engine Porsche variant.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:54 PM
Georg Johannessen
AutoX

Hello guys

very interesting to see how many different options there are out there A lot in me is saying keep the GTS, but the looking historically at it...the best value tip, is to swap the car.

And now it seems like this is the way it’s going I will keep you guys updated until the end thanks so much for your thoughts..cheers 👍🏼
Old 09-19-2018, 12:00 AM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

Cars are meant to be driven and enjoyed. Decide what the purpose of the car is and pick the one that suits best. Sounds like you’re interested in exploring the track in which case a 6GT3 is a great choice - perhaps not a beginner track car but if you’re careful you should be able to grow into it without too much danger to yourself or to the car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche Cayman GTS swap with 996 GT3 mk1..Deal ore no deal?