Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Inner carbon side sills (987 Spyder)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 12:57 PM
Ale_72
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Inner carbon side sills (987 Spyder)

So...
Here I am.
Trying to review the inner side sills from Carbonlution.

First of all a quick note on the company and their customer service. Five stars. Really. Sam was really helpful and following me up on each step and supporting me and making sure that everything could work on the limited timeframe I had. I could not recommend them enough. Stunning. Now after the purchase they disappeared, but maybe he is in vacation. Nevertheless, no complain about the process and people. Again, rate 10/10!

Let’s move to the product.

Just to make it clear for all the people that, like me, did not know it, this is not a full carbon fibre piece. It’s a standard, normal (original, and this is important) inner side sill from Porsche, that has been covered by a layer of carbon fibre and then lacquered.

The carbon fibre weave is really nice BUT:
  1. it’s definitely much more yellowish that the stock one (or at least than the one that I have on my bucket seats)
  2. 2. the pattern is different from the stock one

The layer is well positioned (no weird conjunction points or weave lacks etc) BUT
  1. it does not follow the curves of the boot and bonnet commands or the umbrella pocket on the driver side. Let be frank, I now checked other carbon fibre (and more expensive) manufacturers and it seems to me that everybody follow this approach.
  2. the lacquering is glossy while the rest of stock carbon parts (seats and roof crossbar is between matte) is satin.

Installation is really straightforward (look any youtube video).

In summary:
Would I buy them again? Maybe. My OCD makes me struggle with this not 100% stock solution but I think that for 90% of the people this would simply look amazing. If I should rate it, I’d give it a 7.5/10.
I think I could consider buying from them, with a proper price, the front and side vents surrounds (if they answer to my email :-))

Old 09-14-2018, 08:42 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Those look good and they will likely wear much better than the stock piece. Like you I’m **** about fitment and if it’s not perfect I eventually find myself going back to stock. I had a very nice shift **** made but it sat higher than the stock shifter and the result was a very different shifter feel which I couldn’t live with and removed.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:19 AM
Masergss
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks very nice! I prefer the CF over the plastic! I would go back to Sam if you are not happy with the “yellow” tint. As mentioned in another thread, I was able to select the weave and gloss...none of the parts I had made have a yellow tint...the color is very close to the color of the seat backs.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:49 AM
Ale_72
Pro

He is right now not answering to my emails. Maybe he is in vacation.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:31 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Ale_72
Just to make it clear for all the people that, like me, did not know it, this is not a full carbon fibre piece. It’s a standard, normal (original, and this is important) inner side sill from Porsche, that has been covered by a layer of carbon fibre and then lacquered.
I, too, didn't know until recently that most of these companies that offer aftermarket CF parts usually take an OEM Porsche part and then wrap it themselves in CF. I recall someone who bought various CF bits from DB Carbon, another leading CF parts company, noting that the Porsche part number was still visible on the parts themselves.

The carbon fibre weave is really nice BUT:
  1. it’s definitely much more yellowish that the stock one (or at least than the one that I have on my bucket seats)
  2. 2. the pattern is different from the stock one
This would drive me nuts. I could be wrong, but I think DB Carbon addresses these specific concerns as to color and weave by offering an "OEM" finish. See:

https://shop.db-carbon-interieur.de/...cts/067SY-0001

The layer is well positioned (no weird conjunction points or weave lacks etc) BUT
  1. it does not follow the curves of the boot and bonnet commands or the umbrella pocket on the driver side. Let be frank, I now checked other carbon fibre (and more expensive) manufacturers and it seems to me that everybody follow this approach.
  2. the lacquering is glossy while the rest of stock carbon parts (seats and roof crossbar is between matte) is satin.
Again, this would not be to my liking. I don't understand, however, why the fitament of the pieces isn't exact since, after all, it is an OEM Porsche part that has simply been wrapped in CF??

Having said all this, I think these bits really enhance the appearance of your interior! Thus, I would be hesitant to quibble too much about the finer details, particularly if the price was right.

Old 09-15-2018, 10:04 PM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 298 Posts

Purchased some pieces from them for my 981 a few years ago. Price was right but you get what you pay for. Most of the pieces started delaminatig after only a few months. I had to battle with them and PayPal for a long time to receive a refund. Hopefully they have improved their manufacturing process over the last few years. Since that experience I have moved over to DB carbon for aftermarket carbon work and the quality is much higher, unfortunately so is the price.
Old 09-16-2018, 02:35 AM
Ale_72
Pro

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
I, too, didn't know until recently that most of these companies that offer aftermarket CF parts usually take an OEM Porsche part and then wrap it themselves in CF. I recall someone who bought various CF bits from DB Carbon, another leading CF parts company, noting that the Porsche part number was still visible on the parts themselves.
On my parts as well the original Porsche numbers are still present on the sills.

I don't understand, however, why the fitament of the pieces isn't exact since, after all, it is an OEM Porsche part that has simply been wrapped in CF??
Fitment of my carbon sills is really perfect. It could not be different since it’s an oem part. I was referring to the fact that the carbon layer is not on the entire piece (cannot explain properly, sorry). If you look at the umbrella pocket, in the “vertical walls” of the pocket itself there is no carbon, it's only painted in black and lacquered. I hope it’s clearer.

Having said all this, I think these bits really enhance the appearance of your interior! Thus, I would be hesitant to quibble too much about the finer details, particularly if the price was right.
Yes, but after the facts I would have preferred to pay a couple hundreds more to have an overall better result.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:54 AM
Ale_72
Pro

Again, this would not be to my liking.
You were not the only one.
Despite the very good support from Sam from Carbonlution, this is what I did:

Old 10-21-2018, 12:05 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

^^^That looks fantastic. Did you buy those from Rennwerkstat or another supplier?

Old 10-21-2018, 12:21 PM
Ale_72
Pro

Done by a local supplier in Italy.
I sent them mine old sills in plastic, a few pics of the stunning Boxster Spyder in blue with red interiors, a couple other pics from exclusiveoption.com and that was the result.
I was lucky since they were able to match both the stitch "length" and colour without seeing the real ones.
As you can see the interior of the umbrella pocket is different from the "Porsche exclusive option" since there I asked for an an additional stitching. The original one was not looking "complete" at my eyes since I keep it always empty (unfortunately I gave away, together with mine 997, the nice old umbrella with the leather housing, and I do not like the latter model).
Old 10-21-2018, 02:27 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Very nice, Ale! Glad it eventually worked out. Your efforts were well worth it.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:44 PM
Masergss
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is a completely different look than the CF and IMO much nicer in detail and material than the CF. Enjoy Ale!
Old 10-21-2018, 07:12 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 246 Posts

You get what you pay for with carbon trim.... IMO leather should have been your first choice - looks great!
Old 10-22-2018, 12:16 AM
Ale_72
Pro

Originally Posted by Nurburger
You get what you pay for with carbon trim...
Definitely true. Lesson learned.

Quick Reply: Inner carbon side sills (987 Spyder)