Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In the market, and have a question

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 09:32 AM
hairy78
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In the market, and have a question

Currently shopping for a 09-12 Boxster S with PDK, and I have found 2 within 200 miles. One 09 has 70K miles and one 09 has 58K. Both cars have clean Carfax but the lower mileage example has been sitting for almost a year. Is sitting this long a concern to worry about?

Thank you
Old 09-14-2018, 09:47 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Nope. Just change all of the fluids and enjoy. I would be concerned at 2-3 years+, but 1 year is okay as long as you change the fluids and make sure to get fresh gas in there. It may also need a new battery unless it's been on a tender.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:09 AM
hairy78
4th Gear

Thank you, after running the VIN's, the cars have sequential serial numbers and matching PAG Launch build sheets.

Thanks again
Old 09-14-2018, 10:55 AM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Tires may be pretty well flat-spotted as well...
Old 09-14-2018, 12:49 PM
hairy78
4th Gear

Tires may be pretty well flat-spotted as well...
The lower mile car has new Goodyear Eagle F1 tires. I haven't read too much info if that's a decent tire though.

Thanks
Old 09-14-2018, 12:57 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by hairy78
The lower mile car has new Goodyear Eagle F1 tires. I haven't read too much info if that's a decent tire though.

Thanks
I think there are various series, but in general I would personally never, ever buy those and I'd probably plan on them being throw-aways on that car. Again, that is my opinion, you may like them. Here is why: https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...e-test-feature

Michelin's are a pretty good consensus pick for this car, although I'm tempted to try the new Conti's next time around for street since I have dedicated track wheels now. Pretty big delta in $$$.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:02 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by daylorb
I think there are various series, but in general I would personally never, ever buy those and I'd probably plan on them being throw-aways on that car. Again, that is my opinion, you may like them. Here is why: https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...e-test-feature

Michelin's are a pretty good consensus pick for this car, although I'm tempted to try the new Conti's next time around for street since I have dedicated track wheels now. Pretty big delta in $$$.
I had similar thoughts regarding the GY Eagles as being “ throw aways “ when I got my 2016 CGTS but after over 15K miles they’ve still got grip but the rears are measuring 3/32. nds and I’m going to replace all 4 with the Michelin PS4S.

The GY’s provided good life IMO as I only use my car for spirited driving and I thought they provided really good grip.

The GY’s weren’t a bad tire and as stated above I wouldn’t buy them - only reason I had was because they were on the car when I bought it.

Good Luck

Old 09-15-2018, 12:54 PM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you aren't driving on the track, the GY tires are good enough. Drive them until they are 4 years old or worn then buy whatever tire suits your fancy.

Tire discussions/debates are second only to oil debates in wasted bandwidth.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:52 AM
hairy78
4th Gear

When I was speaking to the dealer that had the low mileage S, he told me the PDK was leaking when he bought it at auction. He said a local shop repaired it. I didn’t think much about an oil leak being a big issue untill I started reading threads about PDK replacements due to oil leaks. I was definitely leaning towards the lower mileage car, but now considering waiting for a better car to come around.

The higher milage car is only $600 less.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:11 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Always do a pre purchase inspection (PPI) at a porsche shop or dealer before you buy. Especially important for p-cars that a dealer had bought at an auction with unknown history. Pay a premium for a clean car with known owners, usage, and maintenance history.

Increase your radius to much larger than 200miles. Flights and shipping are cheap these days.

Be patient. Driving season for roadsters is ending for 3/4 of the country so there will be more deals between now and Jan.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: In the market, and have a question