Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used Cayman S from lease

Old 09-07-2018, 10:28 PM
Skillettx
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used Cayman S from lease

Hello, first time poster. I'm thinking about a 2015 white cayman s and was wondering if folks had any luck with leased cars?

this is a 1 owner lease, no maintenance records. Vehicle failed inspection due to tires and brakes. The tires are worn down only on the left front and rear, and it said the left side brakes failed. Is this due to a bad alignment? I noticed scratches on the side skirt on the left side - maybe the owner ran over something that caused the misalignment?

since the tires were so bald (and it was raining) I offered to come back later. Anything I should check for or look for? How can I find evidence that oil and other major maintenance has been done?

thanks in advance
Old 09-07-2018, 11:26 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

No service history...Extremely uneven tire wear...Body damage possibly due to abuse...Left side brakes "failed" (Huh?)...The fact that it was leased is the least of your problems (No pun intended).

Do yourself a favor....Just put the key down and back away slowly...There are a lot of Caymans out there with lot less drama attached to them than this one. Take your time and find a good one.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:31 AM
Skillettx
7th Gear

I guess that's the question - it'll be CPO woth a warranty out to 2021 with unlimited miles. Wanted to see if folks out there generally have had good luck with vehicles from leases.

in this instance the tires and brakes failed inspection, mainly only the left side of the vehicle. Is this typical of cars tracked or just an alignment or lack of inflated tires issue?

thank you

Any other way to see what maintenance has been done if there's nothing on carfax?
Old 09-08-2018, 09:00 AM
Viper pilot
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 63 Posts

Like he said, unless your being paid to take it, just run the other way. Definitely some thing is weird. Driven hard and put away wet.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:01 AM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Why would you buy a car that seems to have been ragged out when there are plenty of other ones out there that haven't? The car coming off lease isn't the issue. Many people treat their leased cars just as good as the ones that they own, if for no other reason than they'll have to turn the car in at some point and don't want to pay extra wear and tear fees. But this previous owner seems to have not been so kind to the car, and you'd just be buying those potential problems. I do like the CPO til 2021, so maybe that's enough to convince you, but I'd pass and find something in better condition.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:05 AM
Skillettx
7th Gear

The dealership will replace all tires and ensure the car goes through an alignment. I will check the rotors too to see if there is any cracking, etc. If there is they will replace.

It's just been very hard to find a local white with red interior S. I also caught this car earlier before the dealership prepped this car to make it CPO. Warranty is until 2021.

if there is frame damage or issues with the engine, is that covered under warranty?
Old 09-08-2018, 11:01 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Skillettx
Hello, first time poster. I'm thinking about a 2015 white cayman s and was wondering if folks had any luck with leased cars?
this is a 1 owner lease, no maintenance records. Vehicle failed inspection due to tires and brakes. The tires are worn down only on the left front and rear, and it said the left side brakes failed. Is this due to a bad alignment? I noticed scratches on the side skirt on the left side - maybe the owner ran over something that caused the misalignment?
since the tires were so bald (and it was raining) I offered to come back later. Anything I should check for or look for? How can I find evidence that oil and other major maintenance has been done?
thanks in advance
I guess that's the question - it'll be CPO woth a warranty out to 2021 with unlimited miles. Wanted to see if folks out there generally have had good luck with vehicles from leases.
in this instance the tires and brakes failed inspection, mainly only the left side of the vehicle. Is this typical of cars tracked or just an alignment or lack of inflated tires issue?
thank you
Any other way to see what maintenance has been done if there's nothing on carfax?
The dealership will replace all tires and ensure the car goes through an alignment. I will check the rotors too to see if there is any cracking, etc. If there is they will replace.
It's just been very hard to find a local white with red interior S. I also caught this car earlier before the dealership prepped this car to make it CPO. Warranty is until 2021.
if there is frame damage or issues with the engine, is that covered under warranty?
If you had put all of this information in your first post, this would have been my response instead of what I originally posted::

The CPO warranty is a nice thing to have, but they're not foolproof. This car seems to have been neglected, if not abused. As stated by vbb above, the fact that it is coming off a lease has little to do with the condition of the car. It's all about how the car was driven and maintained, not whether it was owned or leased

The color combination seems to be driving your interest in the car and that's certainly your choice, but I think you need to consider whether or not you are prepared for repeated visits to the dealership if things with the car turn out to be not so great. Having a good looking car is no fun if it's giving you grief all the time.

In the end, it's your choice, but if it were me, I'd walk away.

Last edited by TMc993; 09-08-2018 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Verbiage reduction
Old 09-08-2018, 12:41 PM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Don't be colorblind to the problems, for all you know it's never had the oil changed. Hundreds of years of experience is telling you to keep looking. Good luck with your search.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:29 PM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I disagree....

How can they CPO it without records? They can't. Porsche won't warranty a car if the service was not done. I would presume that since it was a lease, that all oil changes were done, most leases include the oil changes or have very strict wording and policies requiring they be done.

I'm going against the flow here, take the car for a PPI at any other shop after the dealer says that is it ready for you. Get that in writing on the sales contract when you give them $500. Take it for your PPI. If the PPI is good, take the car. If the PPI reveals other issues, have them resolved by the selling dealer (as you had written on the sales contract). After they are fixed. take the car back for another PPI to verify.

The rocker panel/ side skirt damage is cosmetic, non structural items. The PPI will confirm this.
Left side brake failure sounds like a faulty ABS, or the driver floored it overtime he turned right. If it is ABS, the CPO will fix that. If the driver was the cause, probably not a big deal, PSM would limit the power and the only problem would be worn brakes and worn tires (which is what you said it has)
Old 09-08-2018, 11:37 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brian C in Az
How can they CPO it without records?
"They" can do anything "they" want. CPO is essentially an agreement between the dealership and PCNA that the cost of a dealership doing a "complete" assessment and service of the car, putting it as close to "As new" as possible will be offset by significantly raising the sale price of said car, and will also subsequently offset the risk that something may go wrong with the car in the future.

I have a CPO car and it came with no previous service records...None. Instead, I got a document "certifying" that the dealership had done the requisite inspection(s) and service(s) required to meet Porsche's definition and requirements for a CPO. In other words, by paying a premium for my car, I also purchased the "peace of mind" that if something within the parameters of the CPO warranty goes wrong with the car, the dealership and PCNA will take care of it.

In fact, two "somethings" have gone wrong with my car and I've had to put in in the dealership shop twice for a total of eight days while those issues were remedied. The first time was, "Okay, shirt happens." The second was, "H-m-m-m-m-m...I'd really rather be driving my car than this POS Macan they've given me as a loaner." I can guarantee that if there is a third time, it will be, "What the f*%k is going on here? Don't you a$$hats know how to build cars?"

And that's what I was referencing when I said that owning a great looking car means nothing if it's sitting in the shop all the time. In the end, the OP is the person who has to make the decision.

I stand by, "Walk away."
Old 09-08-2018, 11:42 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

When asking advice on buying a car you’d probably get more detailed info from the members here if you included a link to the add for the car you are looking at, if the add doesn’t have the vin # in that I would include so people can do a Vin search and see how the car is equipped.

If your looking for pricing opinions I’d definitely include the area I lived in as pricing on sports cars can be regional as well as seasonal.

I’m not sure if this is the car your looking at but it’s the only 2015 Cayman S in white with a red interior:

https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/...+White+2068245

If this is indeed the car your looking at here’s what I would ask for if i were you:

The car be brought up to CPO Standards and at that point I’d do another test drive. I’d ask to see the CPO Report.

A CarFax report.

I’d ask for a DME print out as the car is a manual transmission and there is a potential for over revs.

If the CPO and DME satisfy you then I’d move onto having a PPI done.

I’s make sure the annual services are up to date as well.

The car car as you described it sounds like it wasn’t cared for - marginal tires, bad brakes, scratches on the body and lack of service records - personally I’d stay away. I bought my Porsche so I can forget about my problems and as my mother would say “ why buy problems when so many problems in life come free “

Here’s the link to the Porsche Pre Owned Car Locator, you can do a detailed search.

https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/...ailed_search=1

Good Luck.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:29 AM
Skillettx
7th Gear

Jim that's the one! I was going to try to test it before they brought it up to CPO par just to gauge it pre/post.

I didnt know there was a CPO report I could get, I'll check on that. Will they pull a DME at no cost? I had originally thought that was only part of a PPI.

Thanks for all the input guys - great to get all this perspective.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:30 AM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Jim that's the one! I was going to try to test it before they brought it up to CPO par just to gauge it pre/post.

I didnt know there was a CPO report I could get, I'll check on that. Will they pull a DME at no cost? I had originally thought that was only part of a PPI.

Thanks for all the input guys - great to get all this perspective.

when I went to buy my CPO CGTS the salesman handed me the CarFax as well as the CPO report, when I asked about the DME he said let’s pull it in the shop right now. Since he was so forth coming and the car had such low mileage I skipped the PPI and approximately 15K miles later I’m still a happy camper - not a single issue and a million smiles.

The dealer may not want to do the DME but if your a serious buyer and they know it they should absolutely pull it for you no charge. I would not pay for a DME on a car that a dealer was trying to sell me - many of the sellers here on Rennlist attach a DME Report to their sale add.

Again, I’d ask for:

CPO Report. The in service date should be on your CPO report it’s important as it will tell you when the warranty / CPO period ends - confirm that date with the dealer.

Service records. Ensure the car has had its annual services - according to the build sheet its close to needing its 3rd annual service..Absolutely make sure 2nd annual service has been done as that one has the brake fluid flush and can be pricey ~ $1,000 depending on the area you live in.

CarFax.

DME.

Then if those items are all good I’d personally want a PPI on that car due to mileage and condition.

Again, good luck.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:00 AM
Skillettx
7th Gear

Extremely helpful, thank you all!
Old 09-09-2018, 08:44 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

It takes about five minutes to check the DME so any resistance to doing so will tell you something.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Used Cayman S from lease