Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used Cayman S from lease

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 10:19 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

We all have “priors” from life experiences which influence our opinions in situations like this.

My “prior” stems from thousands of trouble free (other than wear items) brutal miles driven at Sebring Raceway in a car arguably less well built than this Cayman, my 02 Boxster S. My experience reinforces that Porsche’s are built to be driven hard, and no amount of street miles and few other track miles could possibly be as brutal as Sebring. Some tire and brake wear doesn’t scare me.

I agree with the consensus opinion that all things being equal, walk away and find one that’s been cared for better. However, the bottom line is you aren’t going to easily reproduce the color combo. Get the car checked out. Look at Carfax. If it passes, I’d buy that car all day long with a CPO warranty.

BTW I have a low mileage spare 3.2 engine in storage for my track car in case the original craps out. So far the original is going strong at over 90k miles!
Old 09-09-2018, 12:03 PM
alvitdk
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts

Don't get stuck on only shopping local. Bought my car at carmax and paid a transfer fee from Alabama to Texas for the car I wanted. It's a 2014 and I paid an extra 3k for a 5 Year 50.- copay bumper to bumper 90,000mile warranty that carmax offers on all their cars. Just saying, buying a car with CPO warranty is great, but there are other ways to get a good car at a much better price as well.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:26 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

The same people that tell you to walk away because of the flaws you found will tell you want a great car it is after it is cleaned up. The best thing for you to do is get a PPI after you see the DME report, Carfax, etc.

I wouldn't walk away from this one - yet. It's a leased car that was enjoyed or abused. Find the answer then decide.

Quick Reply: Used Cayman S from lease