Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those who found the perfect pre-owned Boxster (WTB in disguise)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 06:56 PM
mamow
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those who found the perfect pre-owned Boxster (WTB in disguise)

How long did it take? How close was final spec to your ideal? I'm happy to be patient, but want to be realistic. Just seems like suitable matches are rare. Seeking:
981 Boxster S or GTS
Colors (in descending): GT Silver, Black, Agate
Must-have options: 6-speed, X73, SC, 14- or 18-way w/ heat
Desired: 19" wheels (pref black), Infotainment, PSE, Vent seats

Figuring some folks might have sought a similar build and may wish to offer some guidance. The primary reason I ask is that there is a just-about-perfect CPO S nearby that has all but the heat/vent seats (2-way sports). I know it may seem a bit odd to limit the purchase because of the seats (other threads seem to suggest a swap is mostly not an option...wrong perspective?), but our 997 4 GTS and S4 Avant (stable offered as rationale for our Boxster search) both have the former, which I use all year round. Vents in the 997 are super for sunny days. Should I simply pull the trigger or should I hold out hope for the better match? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:00 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

I can't address the retrofit vented seats question, so I'll leave that to others and set that aside for the moment.

When I was hunting for my '05 Boxster S, I had a similar list of acceptable color combos, must have items, must not have items, and nice to have items. No blend lines between categories. If it did not meet criteria, didn't matter how sexy all the other stuff was, I had to move on. Then, I found all the cars in the North America that fit that specification (there were a total of 5 at that time), stack ranked them and started the long-distance PPI process at the top of the list. The thinking was this... start at 1 of 5, if any car had a great PPI and I could reach pricing agreement, done. If not, move on to next car in the list. Meanwhile, I keep updating the list should any other cars become available that meet the specification.

It so happened that car number one on the list had a stellar PPI and a great seller. Kind of a cool story for how that all worked out, but that's for another day.

Fast forward 3 years, and 35,000 miles and I'm still completely happy with the car, my decision, and perhaps most importantly... the criteria and specification I set out with. My point is this. If one has the right spec, the rest is just an execution exercise over time. That said, creating that right spec, the one that delights you, is really, really important. Get it wrong and the whole thing can become rather unfulfilling. Can one make an error in the original spec? Sure. Change one's mind later on? Sure. But stick to your guns. If you must have a feature, don't skip over it.

My 2 cents. Hope this helps and good luck!

Dave

'05 987S
'92 968 SP3 (for sale)
'88 944 NA (gone)
Old 09-04-2018, 10:46 AM
mamow
AutoX

Much appreciate your perspective, Dave. A bit of the struggle presently...the list of matches totals zero. Focusing in on the potential for regret in your comments...suppose its best to keep waiting, Can imagine just one top-down sunny SoCal day wishing I had those ventilated seats.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:58 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 514 Likes on 327 Posts

I never cared for vented seats until I started using it. Mind you it's not super strong like in other cars but you can definitely feel it when it turns on.

There should be plenty of 981 cars out there but 6speed is definitely on the rare side, just don't get too neurotic on getting the exact car you want to miss a potential buy with 90% match. If I were you I'd simply break it down to 3-4 must-have items and go from there because you also have to factor in condition, mileage, maintenance records, etc.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:28 AM
mamow
AutoX

Thanks, ekam. Agreed re: ventilation. Might not have cared about it had I not experienced it. Now I don't think I can do without it.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:15 PM
Master of Disaster
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked diligently (nationwide) for a 981 BS for an entire year Similar specs to yours with the addition of no black interior (which is very limiting). I passed on a good match early on due to lack of ventilation. Definitely regretted that along the way, but there is no retrofit option, and ultimately happy I was patient. That said, the ventilation is just OK (compared to modern AC seats).

Several of your specs are rather rare, and easily retrofit (reasonable $): X73 installed $2500, black 19" (could be painted or ebay <$2000), PSE $2000. Checking every box will be a real challenge. That said, you can "overpay" for your ideal spec car and still be better off than retrofitting a la carte.

One surprise I found - the base audio is TRULY atrocious. Audio option was not even on my radar, and now it would cost $2k+ to upgrade something that I don't care that much about (in a roadster), but hate living with.

This link was supremely helpful in parsing options (especially vent seats): https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Porsche
Old 09-06-2018, 11:02 AM
mamow
AutoX

Sounds like your patience was well-rewarded. The search continues...
Old 09-07-2018, 10:06 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Timing... had dinner with friends last night and they'd been looking for their very particular spec Boxster as well. Three months of internet searching 2x / day, then... presto! The right car popped up, they acted immediately, glad they did. Be ready to pull that trigger fast when your unicorn appears ;-)

Good luck!
Old 09-10-2018, 08:41 PM
mamow
AutoX

Chanced upon a 2008 RS 60 Spyder. Already in love! Thanks for the advice from all.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:25 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Good on you and congrats! Pics will be required... :-)

Quick Reply: For those who found the perfect pre-owned Boxster (WTB in disguise)