Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone ever gotten a flat tire in a 981?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 10:57 PM
sghokie
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default anyone ever gotten a flat tire in a 981?

I jacked up my car last week to pull the wheels off so I could clean them and coat them with some protectant.
There was barely much room to slide my very low jack in under there. I could imagine that if the tire was flat that the car on that side could be touching the ground or at least too low to get a jack under.
Just curious what people have experienced.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:44 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Good topic. So far it's been Porsche Road Side Asst. and after that probably USAA Road side Assist. In other words, I don't see myself messing with a flat on my own. But I would love to hear what is figured out since these cars will have long lives I hope and multiple owners in different situations unlike mine.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:46 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

I think the manual touched on this... darn multi volume Manual I'll never finish...
Old 09-03-2018, 01:04 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Use the slime kit in the frunk. No need to even raise the car. Works great. I got a rear flat on my X73 981S. Was back on the road in 30 minutes.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:56 AM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

https://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-...erience-2.html

read post #30.

I carry a short piece of 2 x 6, if you can’t fit your jack under the car roll the flat tire up on the 2 x 6 and that will give raise the car up and give enough clearance to slide your jack underneath the jacking point.

Personally, I’d only use the slime as an absolute last resort, my understanding is that the slime can potentially ruin your TPMS and can also cause other issues plus it will make a mess of the tire and rim. Do a Google search on “ Slime Tire Sealant Problems “

https://www.dealnews.com/features/He...t/1742217.html
The following users liked this post:
lottadot (02-11-2022)
Old 09-03-2018, 10:07 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, had a slow leak in a rear tire. Took to local dealer who removed a bolt (!!) from the tread and plugged the tire. The plug deteriorated quickly, and I took it to the dealer from whom I purchased the car. Was told that plugging is never recommended, and the tire was replaced flawlessly, using a mild cleaner to remove the residual glue from the original weights. They matched Tire Rack's price. Once completed, no evidence that the tire was replaced. Fortunately, leak was so slow that I never had to contact Roadside Assist.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:12 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

One issue for me is that Porsche Dealerships have told me that they don't repair our 981 Spyder Tires, They need to be replaced?

I bought my last set at CostCo :P and they will repair their tires. Don't know why it's like this?
Old 09-03-2018, 12:53 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
One issue for me is that Porsche Dealerships have told me that they don't repair our 981 Spyder Tires, They need to be replaced?
Because after plugging a punctured tire it is not covered by warranty and you're SOL... whether be its speed rating, handling characteristics, etc.

The dealer simply don't want to be liable if you repaired tire blows at high speed or pulling Gs.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:24 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Here’s my flat tire story.

I was in in rural area with spotty cell service and got a puncture - lost pressure almost immediately.

I was was able to get a signal by walking up the road and called Porsche Roadside Assitsnce. The person at Porsche called 7 dealers that they would tow me to - not one of those dealers had a tire in stock and none of them would plug my tire so I could at least get home. I needed to get home to catch a flight that night so I was a little upset that not a single dealer had a replacement tire for a car they sell. Decided at that point I was pretty much on my own as getting towed to a dealer that couldn’t help me was pointless.

I Googled tire shops in my area and found one 5 miles away. I jammed a string type plug into the puncture and also used the Porsche Slime - thankfully most of the slime leaked out. I didn’t have a jack at that time so trust me when I tell you it’s not easy to lay on the ground pull out the nail and get a plug in the tire ( if you can jack the car up and pull the tire off it’s a lot easier ).. I was able to get to the tire shop by stopping a few times and using the compressor that come with the car to keep enough air in the tire so I wouldn’t dameage my rim. . Thankfully the tire shop owner was also a Porsche owner and took good care of my car - he cleaned up all the slime that was left on the rim and advised me not to use Slime unless it was an ABSOLUTE EMERGENCY. They were not able to locate a GoodYear replacement tire for me that day -my only option was to buy a Pirelli to get home.

Since I was advised not to run mismatched tires I had to buy an OEM GoodYear so my tires would match. IIRC I think the whole experience cost me about $700 for the 2 tires and I still have a OEM Pirelli with about 60 miles on it in my garage.

After that experience I bought a 986 Jack and a mushroom type tire plug kit ( see post # 5 above for details on the jack and the other stuff I now carry).

Heres a link to the plug kit I know carry.

Amazon Amazon
Old 09-03-2018, 02:46 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim137a
Here’s my flat tire story.

I was in in rural area with spotty cell service and got a puncture - lost pressure almost immediately.

I was was able to get a signal by walking up the road and called Porsche Roadside Assitsnce. The person at Porsche called 7 dealers that they would tow me to - not one of those dealers had a tire in stock and none of them would plug my tire so I could at least get home. I needed to get home to catch a flight that night so I was a little upset that not a single dealer had a replacement tire for a car they sell. Decided at that point I was pretty much on my own as getting towed to a dealer that couldn’t help me was pointless.

I Googled tire shops in my area and found one 5 miles away. I jammed a string type plug into the puncture and also used the Porsche Slime - thankfully most of the slime leaked out. I didn’t have a jack at that time so trust me when I tell you it’s not easy to lay on the ground pull out the nail and get a plug in the tire ( if you can jack the car up and pull the tire off it’s a lot easier ).. I was able to get to the tire shop by stopping a few times and using the compressor that come with the car to keep enough air in the tire so I wouldn’t dameage my rim. . Thankfully the tire shop owner was also a Porsche owner and took good care of my car - he cleaned up all the slime that was left on the rim and advised me not to use Slime unless it was an ABSOLUTE EMERGENCY. They were not able to locate a GoodYear replacement tire for me that day -my only option was to buy a Pirelli to get home.

Since I was advised not to run mismatched tires I had to buy an OEM GoodYear so my tires would match. IIRC I think the whole experience cost me about $700 for the 2 tires and I still have a OEM Pirelli with about 60 miles on it in my garage.

After that experience I bought a 986 Jack and a mushroom type tire plug kit ( see post # 5 above for details on the jack and the other stuff I now carry).

Heres a link to the plug kit I know carry.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That's tough situation to be in. Makes me long to have spare tires in all my cars, but I guess it's the new trend to minimize weight and sell cars with road side chemical repair kits instead. Most of the guys at the tire shops say to avoid using any type of "fix-a-flat" substance because of how it coats inside of the wheels and tires thus affecting balance. Glad you got it worked out!
Old 09-03-2018, 03:13 PM
ekam
Drifting

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
Most of the guys at the tire shops say to avoid using any type of "fix-a-flat" substance because of how it coats inside of the wheels and tires thus affecting balance.
The goo is meant to be there long enough for you to drive to a tire shop. Once you get there they are supposed to clean the goo off the inside of the wheels ASAP.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:24 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Very helpful info, Jim. Will look into the jack option. Here is what I ordered instead:
Boulder Tools - 56 Pc Heavy Duty Tire Repair Kit Boulder Tools - 56 Pc Heavy Duty Tire Repair Kit

And, I carry this in each car:
Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus 1000A Portable Car Jump Starter Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus 1000A Portable Car Jump Starter
This has a small compressor as well, which works. Of course, a torque wrench is a must!
Old 09-03-2018, 05:03 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by the_rider
Very helpful info, Jim. Will look into the jack option. Here is what I ordered instead:
Boulder Tools - 56 Pc Heavy Duty Tire Repair Kit

And, I carry this in each car:
Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus 1000A Portable Car Jump Starter
This has a small compressor as well, which works. Of course, a torque wrench is a must!

I also have a plug kit similar to the one you have but those “ string “ type plugs are a stick mess and a pain to get in the tool to insert them. I tried it with surgical gloves on and the plug sticks to the gloves - it was a mess and that’s why i went with the mushroom plug type kit.

Not sure if I posted the link for the jack but here it is again. When I got mine it was ~ $66 - occasionally they go on sale. The jack itself was small, light weight, well constructed and works as designed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/00-Boxster-...-/282619826058
Old 09-03-2018, 05:53 PM
ekam
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jim137a

I also have a plug kit similar to the one you have but those “ string “ type plugs are a stick mess and a pain to get in the tool to insert them. I tried it with surgical gloves on and the plug sticks to the gloves - it was a mess and that’s why i went with the mushroom plug type kit.

Not sure if I posted the link for the jack but here it is again. When I got mine it was ~ $66 - occasionally they go on sale. The jack itself was small, light weight, well constructed and works as designed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/00-Boxster-...-/282619826058
I'd be hard pressed to use that filmsy jack. Might as well carry a real floor jack instead.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:42 PM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by ekam
I'd be hard pressed to use that filmsy jack. Might as well carry a real floor jack instead.
That 986 jack is definitely not flimsy. I carry one for my 991 and 987. Also, it fits the factory jack points since it is a Porsche factory jack.

Last edited by eagle1960; 09-03-2018 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Additional info

Quick Reply: anyone ever gotten a flat tire in a 981?