Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone ever gotten a flat tire in a 981?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 10:27 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim137a
.....Not sure if I posted the link for the jack but here it is again. ....... The jack itself was small, light weight, well constructed and works as designed.
Thanks, will check on it.

Originally Posted by Archimedes
...........You get a flat, pull out the slime kit, follow the instructions in the owners' manual, get back on the road. No jacking up the car, ............ It's ridiculously easy.
Would it be possible to slime it without removing the tire or jacking (for clearance)? What if the puncture is at an obscure spot that's not obvious? As someone mentioned, slime can be a temporary, emergency fix until you get to a shop.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:49 AM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider

Would it be possible to slime it without removing the tire or jacking (for clearance)? What if the puncture is at an obscure spot that's not obvious? As someone mentioned, slime can be a temporary, emergency fix until you get to a shop.
Here’s the instructions for using the slime, the tire does not need to be removed from the car.

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...of-a-flat-tire

I am not a fan of using the slime for reasons that I listed and obviously others have no problems using it - we all have our preferred methods of dealing with issues decide what’s best for you.

As as a side note the tool that Porsche provides to remove the valve stem is useless ( you need to remove the valve stem to put the slime in ) so i added one of those “ 4 way valve stem tools “ to my flat tire kit - see the attached pic. The “ pin “next to the valve stem tool is a Porsche Tire Locator pin -I highly recommend getting one if you plan on removing your wheels. After removing the wheel you screw one or 2 of these in the holes where the lug bolts would go and slide the tire over the pins. It makes it so much easier than trying to hold a tire up in the air and getting a lug bolt threaded. IIRC I got the pin at my local dealer for about $12.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:52 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider

Just roll the car until you see the nail. No need to lift car or remove the wheel. Everything you need is in the kit in the frunk. Very easy to use. Just remember to order a new kit once you use it.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:45 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim137a
I am not a fan of using the slime for reasons that I listed ............Porsche Tire Locator pin -I highly recommend getting one if you plan on removing your wheels. ..........
I've read up a bit from others' experiences with slime, from the thread you posted. Most seem to agree that the slime is a bad idea! Thanks for the great info.

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Just roll the car until you see the nail. .......
Yeah, that works.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:43 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts

This stuff can be put into a tire without removing the valve stem and "supposed" to easily wash off from the rim by water. I'm carrying it in my trunk along with a jack, plug kit and other necessary tools:

https://shop.slime.com/collections/e...nt=47565148040
Old 01-09-2022, 05:26 PM
Greg911T
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently bought a 2016 981 Boxster. No spare, no jack. I bought slime and a plug kit but using them on the road is a drag. I bought a spare from ez spare wheel with a jack and wrench kit for $500. It fills up the trunk, but I have a spare.
Old 01-11-2022, 07:09 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,303 Likes on 887 Posts

Interesting. I've never heard of removing the valve stem before using Fix-A-Flat or similar substances.

Agreed with the post above that points out that you can actually treat most modern low-profile tires as if they were run-flats in an emergency situation, or to avoid creating an emergency situation. I once drove ~20 miles (in a non-TPMS car) before I realized I had a flat. The only thing that seemed amiss was that the car seemed unusually responsive to crosswinds.

Quick Reply: anyone ever gotten a flat tire in a 981?