Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

New Cayman R Owner - PTS "GTS Red"

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 04:21 PM
EYEHAVEYOU
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver Surfer
Dude, beautiful car, and as stated, perfectly optioned. I love it! I'm a new owner of a 987 Spyder similarly optioned, in Basalt Black Metallic with Carrera Red interior. It replaced a sweet 993, but I am thrilled with these light, engaging, fast cars!
I saw your thread earlier, I've always had a preference for cars with red interiors and yours pulls it off so well - Carrera Red definitely makes for the best looking sport buckets I've seen yet.

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Wow! THAT is a stunning CR. Killer. Very very good catch.

Congrats and welcome!

Question - I don't see on the Option list the LWBS. Anybody know where those show up?
Thanks! LWBS were standard on all Cayman Rs, not an option. When ordering you could switch to the sport seats as a no cost option, and a sizable amount of people did just that. I read somewhere (so take this with a grain of salt) that over 50% of Cayman Rs came with the sport seats! Seems pretty stupid in hindsight, they would've been much better off selling LWBS and pocketing a nice profit over what buying some sport seats would cost.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:53 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by EYEHAVEYOU
I saw your thread earlier, I've always had a preference for cars with red interiors and yours pulls it off so well - Carrera Red definitely makes for the best looking sport buckets I've seen yet.

Thanks! LWBS were standard on all Cayman Rs, not an option. When ordering you could switch to the sport seats as a no cost option, and a sizable amount of people did just that. I read somewhere (so take this with a grain of salt) that over 50% of Cayman Rs came with the sport seats! Seems pretty stupid in hindsight, they would've been much better off selling LWBS and pocketing a nice profit over what buying some sport seats would cost.
Ah! That makes sense. I suspect the same w the Spyder. The LWBS are phenomenal. By way of comparison I drove a 2018 Carrera 4 GTS with 8-way Adaptive Sport Seats for about an hour yesterday and did not find them as comfortable as the LWBS. I was happy to drop down into the Spyder for the trip home. They fit my body shape perfectly. I'm 5' 10", about 180#.
Old 09-01-2018, 01:19 PM
MezgerFan
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow, just wow. Absolutely fantastic. Congratulations!
Old 09-01-2018, 01:25 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 139 Posts

I'm pretty convinced that the LWBs are great for some, lousy for others, and it's nothing to do with weight or age. I'm 5'10 175 and just don't like them, they are too upright and push my shoulders together too much.

I bought my Cayman R with them, then got a set of Sports Seats from a GT3 and parked the LWBs in my basement. I'll sell them if and when I ever sell the Cayman R. Or I may put them in the car next year for the track season and take them out again. But I don't think they are as nice for daily driving as the optional seats.

Whatever seats, the Cayman R is a phenomenal sports car. It took me a year to track down the one I bought, an original Peridot green, low mileage example. I do think they will hold their value very, very well down the line, and in the meantime give their owners a whole lot of driving fun.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:37 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by andy7777
I bought, an original Peridot green, low mileage example.
Describing the equivalent of a beautiful woman and not providing pics is bad form.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:27 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

I didn't want to hijack the OPs post as his car is awesome. But if you insist, a few from my phone. I just put on a set of BBS E88s that I had built in the correct offsets.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:43 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by DrBillyD
Usually not a fan of non-metallic paint, nor red cars but that is truly beautiful!
And I don't generally dig black wheels, but it all works so nicely together. Definitely something out of the ordinary. Big congrats and great find!
Old 09-02-2018, 03:47 PM
EYEHAVEYOU
Instructor

I didn't want to hijack the OPs post as his car is awesome. But if you insist, a few from my phone. I just put on a set of BBS E88s that I had built in the correct offsets.
No worries, happy to have more beautiful cars in this thread. Especially when they are wearing my favorite wheels of all time, E88s! Absolutely stunning. Not that they are necessary given it's a motorsports wheel, but if you feel like you want to add some center caps check out Butzi Gear, they make a aluminum adapters for E88s to accept BBS center caps.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:26 PM
Nate2046
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 90 Posts

Craigslist!? Who puts a car like that on Craigslist!? That was an incredible find! You were smart to snag it immediately, such a beautiful car.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:44 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EYEHAVEYOU
No worries, happy to have more beautiful cars in this thread. Especially when they are wearing my favorite wheels of all time, E88s! Absolutely stunning. Not that they are necessary given it's a motorsports wheel, but if you feel like you want to add some center caps check out Butzi Gear, they make a aluminum adapters for E88s to accept BBS center caps.
Yeah, actually Butzi is the ones who put these wheels together for me. I got a set of adapters from a seller on the forum but like the open look better. These are mostly track wheels that I switch back and forth with my 987 Boxster S. Most of the time I use a set of black BBS CH-R's on the Cayman R in the original 19 inch size.

Now you have o spill the whole story of the Craigslist find. If you tell us that the seller didn't actually price it well and you got a bargain we're all gonna really dislike you
Old 09-02-2018, 05:43 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

That's the best looking red that Porsche makes. Beautiful car!!
Old 09-02-2018, 06:04 PM
ALE
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 31 Posts

Congratulations!!!
Get that beauty on track and you will like it twice as much.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:41 PM
rubycaymanr
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Great color combination.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:00 PM
EYEHAVEYOU
Instructor

Originally Posted by vbb
That's the best looking red that Porsche makes. Beautiful car!!
Thanks! The color has really grown on me, photos never capture it properly, even better in person. I recently saw the last 918 produced was also painted this color.

Originally Posted by ALE
Congratulations!!!
Get that beauty on track and you will like it twice as much.
Imagine you’re right about that, will find out for myself soon enough.

Yeah, actually Butzi is the ones who put these wheels together for me. I got a set of adapters from a seller on the forum but like the open look better. These are mostly track wheels that I switch back and forth with my 987 Boxster S. Most of the time I use a set of black BBS CH-R's on the Cayman R in the original 19 inch size.

Now you have o spill the whole story of the Craigslist find. If you tell us that the seller didn't actually price it well and you got a bargain we're all gonna really dislike you
David is a great guy, hope I can have him
build me a set of BBS Motorsport wheels one day. Saw he just got married this week!

The seller was a Corvette wholesaler who apparently got this car as part of a lot with a bunch of Corvettes, just wanted to get rid of it as it wasn’t his speciality. Think I got a pretty fair deal, just consider myself lucky as it was really hard to track down a 6MT/LWB example.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:38 PM
steguis
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So gorgeous! Congrats!

Quick Reply: New Cayman R Owner - PTS "GTS Red"