Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

My Spyder Introduction Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 12:16 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
............ Ideally having one air cooled and one Spyder is the perfect garage, they are both great experiences.
This is a combo I could be happy with! I would go with a Cab though (at the expense of some driving fluidity)!
Old 08-29-2018, 12:20 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
This is a combo I could be happy with! I would go with a Cab though (at the expense of some driving fluidity)!
If you go with a 964 you can get a Targa which offers a very similar open top experience as a cab without the extra weight, complexity or loss of structural rigidity.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:23 AM
Michael Harley
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Hey! Welcome to Spyder Nation! You have picked up an AWESOME Gen 1. Love the color combo.

Hey - I'm just under taking a min-study on VINs. I have Afshin's and a bunch of others. I'd be interested to see where yours was in the production line up. If your interested please PM your VIN, I'll add it in, and send you the list.

Again congrats. And I know exactly what you are going through with leaving the 993 C4S and getting into what many of us feel is the BEST of the water-cooled.

Cheers!
Your inbox is full. I can send you my VIN, too.

- Mike
Old 08-29-2018, 05:57 AM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

Another congrats on a great spec car . As a previous owner of 964 Targa and Turbo , 996 Turbo and GT3 , and now a new Spyder owner , i can say my enjoyment of mainly recreational road driving is only getting better !
Old 08-29-2018, 06:20 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Welcome to the apex of the Porsche mid engine experience (well ok maybe the Carrera GT or 918 is the apex).

The past 10yers since purchase of my 986 S and now the 981 Spyder, I’ve been a fan of the mid engine Porsche. This after years of 911 ownership. My 981Spyder is a car I never want to sell. I’m guessing you’ll think the same about your beautiful car.

Having said that, there is something intoxicating about the 911. I love my 997 and enjoy stoking that rear engine thrill from time to time. I bet you’ll miss the 993, but you have a car that will give you unending smiles/mile. Congratulations on a gorgeous Spyder!
Old 08-29-2018, 08:49 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Beautiful car and congrats on the purchase! It has all the right options to make it a future classic.

The first Porsche I drove was a Boxster Spyder, back in 2011. Since then, I've known that a Porsche is my dream car.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:27 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,241 Likes on 572 Posts
Default 987.2 Spyder VIN study...

Originally Posted by Michael Harley
Your inbox is full. I can send you my VIN, too.

- Mike
Thanks Mike - I just went and emptied out around 300 messages. It's good to go.

VINs on Gen-1 987.2 Spyders? Please PM your name, VIN and color of your Spyder and I'll drop it into the list.

Looks like it may be time to start up a separate thread. I know there was a list like this some years back but it's disappeared. I'll post the Excel sheet as a Google doc ASAP.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:32 AM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Received 449 Likes on 224 Posts

Beautiful Spyder, I love a Red Interior...
Old 08-29-2018, 11:33 AM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Received 449 Likes on 224 Posts

Silver Surfer just an fyi, the seatbelt shouldn’t be running through the seat, it should look like this....

Not to derail, but any info on that shifter? I've been considering doing a 917 style **** but havent seen anyone pull it off on the 987.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:13 PM
Silver Surfer
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Boxster Spyder

Originally Posted by 2XIPA
Silver Surfer - beautiful car. We have an upcoming autocross at Bremerton this Saturday. There's already two Spyder's signed up for the event (mine included). Perhaps you can join us?
Thanks for the invite and compliment, this is the kind of camaraderie I was looking for! I would definitely like to go, but I will be out of town this weekend. I would very much like to meet other Spyder owners in the PNW. I have friends in the 911 community, but having sold my 993 I need to build some new relationships too. I will watch for another opportunity to get together, and if you think of it let me know next time!

Mark Carlson

Old 08-29-2018, 12:37 PM
Silver Surfer
Racer

Originally Posted by the_rider
Congrats! A Spyder is an awesome ride. Black/Red combo is a classic. Was it hard to let go off 993 C4S? In terms of driving experience, does Spyder offer something better than 993? I personally would have found it difficult to dump a 993! But, then, I never owned one!
Henry, the 993 and Spyder are two very different animals. I would say that as engaging as the Spyder is, the 993 is a more engaging drive. And there is nothing in the automotive world like an air cooled flat boxer six in full throat: a turbine, a shrieking banshee, and an angry buzz saw all rolled into one. It is thrilling. The Spyder with Sport Exhaust has its own sound, but it is a little more tame, a little more civilized by comparison to any 911. On the other hand, the Spyder is 250 pounds lighter than my 993, a noticeable difference that makes it feel a little like my 1973 911S felt. It has substantially more horsepower and torque than the 993. And the Spyder feels perfectly balanced, where I was always conscious of the rear weight bias of my 993. My 993 handled beautifully, but if you lost the rear end you had better know what you are doing. I feel more confident in the Spyder. And it is a convertible. I never liked the looks of the 911-based convertibles, but I love the lines on the Spyder, whether the top is up or down.

And yes, it was hard to let go of the 993, like it was hard to let go of the 911S. Cars are not like kids, but they are like dogs. You miss them when they are gone. You can't replace one, but you can find another and love it too.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:38 PM
Silver Surfer
Racer

Default Seatbelt

Silver Surfer just an fyi, the seatbelt shouldn’t be running through the seat, it should look like this....
Thanks Afshin. I noticed that and a few other items that will need some attention from the dealer. I want to get it right.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:41 PM
Silver Surfer
Racer

Default Rennsport

Originally Posted by il pirata
Welcome to to the Spyder club! If you are going to Rennsport let us know.
Bob, thanks, I am considering it. I have met so many great Porsche guys in the process of selling my 993 and buying my Spyder, and would like to meet them in person. I will let you know and if I do try to arrange a meet up.

Mark Carlson
Old 08-29-2018, 12:42 PM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver Surfer
Cars are not like kids, but they are like dogs. You miss them when they are gone. You can't replace one, but you can find another and love it too.
Well said and I couldn't agree more. I'm saving this!
Old 08-29-2018, 01:02 PM
Michael Harley
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Thanks Mike - I just went and emptied out around 300 messages. It's good to go.

VINs on Gen-1 987.2 Spyders? Please PM your name, VIN and color of your Spyder and I'll drop it into the list.

Looks like it may be time to start up a separate thread. I know there was a list like this some years back but it's disappeared. I'll post the Excel sheet as a Google doc ASAP.
PM Sent!

- Mike

Quick Reply: My Spyder Introduction Thread