Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

My Spyder Introduction Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 01:17 PM
Silver Surfer
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 5' 10" and 175 pounds. The interior strikes me as being about the same size as my 993 interior less the back seat, so it would be cozy for you. I think the lightweight bucket seats would work for your height since I have quite a bit of travel behind them, but they are a snug fit. You could see if someone local has them and try them out. I have heard that the optional sport seats are great seats too, so I wouldn't let those discourage you from buying a Spyder. And I think you sit lower in the car in the sport seats than in the lightweight buckets, so they might actually be better for you.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:40 PM
vtgt
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver Surfer
I'm 5' 10" and 175 pounds. The interior strikes me as being about the same size as my 993 interior less the back seat, so it would be cozy for you. I think the lightweight bucket seats would work for your height since I have quite a bit of travel behind them, but they are a snug fit. You could see if someone local has them and try them out. I have heard that the optional sport seats are great seats too, so I wouldn't let those discourage you from buying a Spyder. And I think you sit lower in the car in the sport seats than in the lightweight buckets, so they might actually be better for you.
thats helpful, thanks. I know there is one rennlister in AZ that has one, sounds like a I need to take a drive.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:43 AM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

I sold my 996 GT3 for the Spyder. Ok , i miss the Mezger engine , but otherwise its so much better for mostly road use.
You wont regret it !
Old 09-06-2018, 03:26 PM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Jonny
I sold my 996 GT3 for the Spyder. Ok , i miss the Mezger engine , but otherwise its so much better for mostly road use.
You wont regret it !
Ha! Same situation for me. But I still think the 6GT3’s steering felt better
Old 09-06-2018, 06:45 PM
destroid
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Very nice spec with all the right options. I have the same options in the white launch color

Old 09-09-2018, 10:09 PM
Silver Surfer
Racer

My wife did not like white paint, so it was not an option for me. But for me, the white paint with the side decal evokes the 911R, and I like that on what is essentially a factory hotrod. Nice car!
Old 09-09-2018, 10:18 PM
Silver Surfer
Racer

Originally Posted by Turbo Jonny
You wont regret it !
I do miss the air cooled engine, no question. The sound, the feel, the power delivery, was thrilling and uniquely Porsche. But this car has so much more torque and horsepower, I still have not pushed it nearly as hard as the 993. And though I only lost the rear end once on the 993, I was always mindful of the rear end weight bias. The Spyder just feels so well balanced, and yet still feels like a go cart like the 911. I have to say, I do love the car. Its not a 911, but it is a great Porsche.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:18 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Owning both an air cooled and Spyder I would still choose the Spyder if I had to let one of the cars go. Fortunately I don’t have to choose and I enjoy both immensely. They are both very unique, involving driving experiences.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:19 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Owning both an air cooled and Spyder I would still choose the Spyder if I had to let one of the cars go. Fortunately I don’t have to choose and I enjoy both immensely. They are both very unique, involving driving experiences.
Ha! Afshin and I go back and forth on this "Sophie's Choice" of Porsches. I see to fall back and forth to the tune of "which ever car I last drove I wouldn't give up". For example last week I romped the Spyder down and around and up the road to Mt. Baker, WA and then down Mosquito Lake Road enroute to Seattle. OMG - best car ever! Then yesterday fired up the 993 to drive it before I travel overseas for a week and, yep - you guessed it - OMG - best car ever!

So to chose one, as my wife would like me to do, is very very tough. They are so complimentary. One an absolute crazy animal and the other filled with old school A/C drama. Love them both.

So I really can't say which one I would chose IF I had to.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:43 AM
Silver Surfer
Racer

Hey Zeus, I wish I could have joined you for that drive. It sounds like a good time!
Old 09-10-2018, 06:01 PM
spydersmiley
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After acquiring a GT3T recently, I had to decide whether to let go my 993 targa of my 987 Spyder. After some back and forth, I decided to keep my Spyder. The 993 targa was a great car, but the Spyder is simply more engaging, lighter and sharper in any respect.

Regards,
Tobias
Old 09-12-2018, 08:46 PM
Michael Harley
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my '12 Spyder (just acquired three months ago) up on Angeles Crest Highway with some friends this past weekend. All skilled drivers (years of track time), and they were in a Ferrari 430 and a 996 GT3 RS, among others. My Spyder, on Cup 2 tires, didn't have any issue hanging with the big boys. I was down on power in the straights, but tenacious cornering grip and excellent brakes made up the differences. And, I'd argue, with the top down I was having a lot more fun!

Old 09-12-2018, 10:22 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Mike, that's some fast company you keep.

As you are learning after three months of ownership, the Spyders definitely excel in the twisties where they can more than hold their own and even humble cars priced significantly higher. The tighter the roads, the more these cars are in their element. Tough to beat light-weight mid-engine dynamics on serpentine roads. Frankly, straight line speed never did much for me. Point a car straight ahead and mash down on the accelerator -- where's the fun in that? Yawn.

Continued enjoyment of your Spyder!

Quick Reply: My Spyder Introduction Thread