Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on Brake Bleeding & Photos of My New Brakes - Girodisc

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 04:33 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by daylorb
Completely agree - I thought that was the whole point that it could pressurize with fluid transfer. Never dawned on me to use it for pressurizing only.

Question though - I use it about every 6 months - is there any problem with storing extra fresh fluid it in for that long?
Bad idea. Brake fluid will attract moisture, and contaminate the batch in the bleeder.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:34 PM
phroenips
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Completely agree - I thought that was the whole point that it could pressurize with fluid transfer. Never dawned on me to use it for pressurizing only.

Question though - I use it about every 6 months - is there any problem with storing extra fresh fluid it in for that long?
The Motive instructions explicitly say to not store fluid in the container. More importantly, storing it in there will expose it to air and therefore humidity, making it no different (probably worse, actually), than just keeping the same aged fluid in the brake lines themselves.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:16 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Considering the relatively inexpensive cost of brake fluid, I use new every time rather than take the chance of it absorbing water or humidity during storage. Also, whenever I do my brakes, I flush the system which pretty much uses a complete quart of fluid.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:47 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by JimV8

Bad idea. Brake fluid will attract moisture, and contaminate the batch in the bleeder.
Interesting - I thought the Super ATE 4 was more immune to that issue. Good write-up here: http://tiltonracing.com/brake-fluid-...e-and-go-fast/

Bottom line it is not immune to it, although it seems to be less problematic.

So would you also discard any left over fluid - period - rather than let it sit in the ATE can for 6 months until the next change?
Old 08-30-2018, 06:07 PM
acropora157
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I also like filling the Motive bleeder. I use Castrol SRF and clean the container by pumping a few ounces of denatured alcohol through it when I’ m done .
As stated above, the Motive bleeder is also a very good way to bleed the clutch slave cylinder. Waiting for someone to make a remote cable to bleed the slave cylinder on a Cayman, since it’s a pain to get to the clutch bleeder valve.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:51 AM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

I use the Motive with the dry method and have never had an issue. I've modified it a little though as indicated in the following thread (with part #'s, etc). I just hate the clean up with the wet method.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ethod-use.html
Old 08-31-2018, 09:05 AM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mts
I use the Motive with the dry method and have never had an issue. I've modified it a little though as indicated in the following thread (with part #'s, etc). I just hate the clean up with the wet method.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ethod-use.html
Great mod - putting it on the list.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:42 AM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Great mod - putting it on the list.

It really is. I've been using mine that way since that forum post first came out......so since 2011 on multiple cars with no issues. The modification parts I purchased have held up very well and everything is still pressure tight just like it was when I first did it.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:02 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Anyone know of a tutorial or similar on pads/rotors. I usually just dive into these things but I expect there’s stuff/procedures i.d miss. And as we all know it’s best to best to not skip procedures with brake work.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:28 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

Anyone know of a tutorial or similar on pads/rotors. I usually just dive into these things but I expect there’s stuff/procedures i.d miss. And as we all know it’s best to best to not skip procedures with brake work.
Forum threads and YouTube videos are your friends for this. I've not found any one that covers it all just right, so it pays to watch a few until you've essentially "seen" the entire process. It's one of those things that, in my experience, is easier seen than described. Once you've seen / read enough to be comfortable, just make sure you have the right tools and about 3x the time it should take. Ask me how I know :-)

The DIY route is, in my humble opinion, your cart blanche to acquire a few new tools. They can make life a lot easier and you'll feel like the pro from Dover using them. For example, I never used to use a pad spreader. I do now, and I love it. Ditto items like an impact driver for stubborn rotor retaining screws. These items are easily offset by the $$ saved in doing the work, so why not treat yourself.

One of the best mechanics I've observed would lay everything out and treat the whole event like a proper dental or surgical procedure. I've tried to emulate the approach. Research, Prep, Methodically Proceed, Check, Double Check, etc.

Good luck!

Dave
Old 08-31-2018, 11:19 AM
11Spydr
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RE. draining the brake fluid reservoir too low, I have always used my Motive Bleeder dry & I use this simple solution to prevent draining the brake fluid reservoir too low & introducing air into the system.

The first step in a brake system flush is to remove most of the brake fluid from the reservoir (you want to stay above the pick up point) & refill with fresh fluid, so simply put the fluid you take from the reservoir into your catch bottle that you use at the cylinders & mark the level on the bottle. As long as you use the same marked catch bottle for a vehicle & don't drain fluid above the mark you won't introduce air into the system by draining the reservoir too low.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:40 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dave in Chicago
Forum threads and YouTube videos are your friends for this. I've not found any one that covers it all just right, so it pays to watch a few until you've essentially "seen" the entire process. It's one of those things that, in my experience, is easier seen than described. Once you've seen / read enough to be comfortable, just make sure you have the right tools and about 3x the time it should take. Ask me how I know :-)

The DIY route is, in my humble opinion, your cart blanche to acquire a few new tools. They can make life a lot easier and you'll feel like the pro from Dover using them. For example, I never used to use a pad spreader. I do now, and I love it. Ditto items like an impact driver for stubborn rotor retaining screws. These items are easily offset by the $$ saved in doing the work, so why not treat yourself.

One of the best mechanics I've observed would lay everything out and treat the whole event like a proper dental or surgical procedure. I've tried to emulate the approach. Research, Prep, Methodically Proceed, Check, Double Check, etc.

Good luck!

Dave
Thanks.
Old 08-31-2018, 02:38 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

I just followed the Pelican site. Great pages: https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...Brake_Pads.htm

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...rake_Discs.htm
Old 09-01-2018, 10:56 PM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tidybuoy
I will spend an extra 15 min cleaning it when I'm done.
Once you try it, you'll find it takes much less than 5min. Dump the extra brake fluid out. Pour in about 250mL of methanol, slosh it around, pump most out through the hose and cap, dump out the remainder. Done.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:15 PM
blue44
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an interesting failure week before last which might help you decide which method, my Motive bleeder hose sprung a leak and made a nice little geyser of brake fluid, I put a towel around it and the hose came in half, filling the towel and another before the pressure went down. Wacky but I think I'll try the dry method when I get my new Motive... Cheers, Donn

Quick Reply: Question on Brake Bleeding & Photos of My New Brakes - Girodisc