Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FAULT ENGINE CONTROL POSSIBLE TO DRIVE

Old 09-01-2018, 01:25 PM
zip
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the interest of full disclosure, I left out what I had considered unrelated info. While changing the front brake pads and rotors this weekend I had to disconnect the ABS sensor from the back of the wheel. They were stuck pretty tight from all the grime and I managed to brake the retaining clip on them getting them off. I safety wired them back on but after this problem started I got to thinking that since they are sensors, that if they came loose, not only would it be a safety issue, it might be causing havoc with the ECU. I had them both replaced ($126 each at Porsche). Total installation cost with programming? $800!!!. When I picked the car up, since all the faults had been cleared and not reoccurred on their 25 mile test drive, that the problem was solved. Sooooooo, $1800 later, I picked the car up and it drove like a top going back home . . . until I started decleration on the exit ramp when the FAULT reoccurred! :\ Pretty upset, I limped home, having to pull over 3 times in 6 miles to start/stop and find a gear. I called Porsche and they sent a wrecker, and it is now back at Porsche. The new mechanic that will work on it (the one that did the original work left on vacation right after "fixing" my vehicle) called me and I went through all the symptoms and conditions under which the fault occured with him. I am somewhat upset that they now have to start the diagnosis process over again. I do not think I should be on the hook for that, just any actual parts and labor. After all factory trained service techs should have a clue, and not have to guess at what's wrong. Am I being unfair? Thoughts and opinions welcomed. ~Wailer
Old 09-01-2018, 02:13 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by zip
In the interest of full disclosure, I left out what I had considered unrelated info. While changing the front brake pads and rotors this weekend I had to disconnect the ABS sensor from the back of the wheel. They were stuck pretty tight from all the grime and I managed to brake the retaining clip on them getting them off. I safety wired them back on but after this problem started I got to thinking that since they are sensors, that if they came loose, not only would it be a safety issue, it might be causing havoc with the ECU. I had them both replaced ($126 each at Porsche). Total installation cost with programming? $800!!!. When I picked the car up, since all the faults had been cleared and not reoccurred on their 25 mile test drive, that the problem was solved. Sooooooo, $1800 later, I picked the car up and it drove like a top going back home . . . until I started decleration on the exit ramp when the FAULT reoccurred! :\ Pretty upset, I limped home, having to pull over 3 times in 6 miles to start/stop and find a gear. I called Porsche and they sent a wrecker, and it is now back at Porsche. The new mechanic that will work on it (the one that did the original work left on vacation right after "fixing" my vehicle) called me and I went through all the symptoms and conditions under which the fault occured with him. I am somewhat upset that they now have to start the diagnosis process over again. I do not think I should be on the hook for that, just any actual parts and labor. After all factory trained service techs should have a clue, and not have to guess at what's wrong. Am I being unfair? Thoughts and opinions welcomed. ~Wailer
The truth is that some problems are extremely difficult to diagnose no matter how competent the technician. Control modules and computers often cannot detect faults within themselves and often indicate or suggest (via fault codes) problems with components that link to them instead where the problem really lies, which is inside of them. Sounds to me like the battery was not your issue, but replacing a 4 year old battery wasn't a bad idea or place to start since it was about time anyhow. I have no idea what's causing your issue but I would be very curious to know exactly what fault codes they pull this time around. Be specific with them and don't let them be vague in their descriptions because they might feel like they're dealing with a novice. You need and want to know EVERYTHING they do, see, feel, suspect and suggest. Post it here so we can chime in. Good luck.

Also, where in time did your fiddling with the abs wiring occur?

Last edited by SpyderSenseOC; 09-01-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:48 PM
zip
AutoX

Good advice. Thanks . . . I will!
Old 09-01-2018, 04:13 PM
zip
AutoX

The battery itself was $363. Installed (programmed) total was $484. It was old and needed replacing. Both front axle wiring harness/speed sensors were $183 EACH (I was originally told $126 each). Total for the sensors came to $366 and another $447 to install and reprogram!!! So the total for the ABS speed sensors was $812! Diagnostic charge was $373. Shop supplies $37. Tax $119. Minor incidentals brought the total to $1825.

My fear is that we're back to square one with no idea what is going on, and no plan other than to eliminate fault codes until they narrow this down (at about $187/hr). Plus parts for whatever needs replacing. Plus "reprogramming". Plus labor. Plus tax. Plus?????
Old 09-01-2018, 05:23 PM
zip
AutoX

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Also, where in time did your fiddling with the abs wiring occur?
I did the brakes the day before the Fault first occurred. I drove from Jacksonville to Orlando and (nearly) back at highway speeds when this first appeared. That's what made me nervous that my quick fix of the ABS speed sensors plastic clips may have worked loose and an intermittent or totally broken connection wrought havoc on the ECU. That's why I had them replaced. That, and the fact that it really was a safety issue.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:59 PM
zip
AutoX

OK, you guys won't believe this! This tale gets weirder (and sadder for me). After enjoying a week with my buddy and our wives in the mountains of NC, he got the same fault in his Panamera (same year, same mileage . . . about 45K)! His was not accompanied by a slipping transmission however and was intermittent as he turned it off and on. Made it back to Jax this past weekend and his is now in the same shop and being diagnosed. It is not lost on the dealer that we both returned from the trip together and both had the same Fault a week apart (albeit for apparently different reasons).

My problem turned out to be the worst case scenario. Some sensors in the transmission were operating outside their tolerance (Hey, I'm just quoting my Service Rep)! I need a new transmission AND control unit.

"Recommend replacement of PDK with control unit. (Found distance sensors within the PDK unit to be out of specification sporadically, Control unit has shown internal fault.)"

After some back and forth (as it was out of warranty since last October), I was asked if this was my first Porsche. It isn't. I was asked if I purchase at a dealer, which I did. Because of my loyalty (?) Porsche is going to pick up over $12K of the cost, and I'm on the hook for about $3,400. That's in addition to the other recent $1800 service (battery and ABS sensors). Because of my "participation" in the cost, Porsche will warranty both for 2 years. If they'd picked up the entire cost, there would have been no warranty (at least that's what I was told). So, at least it's going to get fixed, but I must say it has soured my view of the brand to some extent. I love the car, but I've never driven ANYTHING that had a transmission take a dump at 45K. I guess sometimes life hands you lemons. I'm really trying to make lemonade! The dealer is ordering the parts today, and hopefully I'll be on the road again sometime in the reasonable future with a dependable car. My quandary right now is whether I should sell it. I love it, and it is supposed to be my fun retirement toy, but I don't think I can really stand another "surprise." Especially out of something that has not been driven hard! I guess it could have been worse.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:08 PM
sghokie
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Damn reading through this thread makes me want to sell mine. You are getting lucky that they are going to pick up most of the cost of the transmission.
I took mine to my dealer because of those brake pedal bushings that don't work in hot weather and they told me to pay up $650 and I have that f'ing gas tank squeak now too.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:00 PM
SCHUTZEE
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The PDK in my 2014 CS was leaking and was replaced under warranty in April. In July ( warranty expired in April) the car started misfiring badly and I got the "Fault engine control possible to drive" message. An indy shop read the codes which indicated a bad coil pack so we replaced all the coil packs and plugs with original Porsche parts. The car ran great for a few hours until the original symptoms reappeared. This time the codes indicated a problem with the cam timing in one bank. The shop removed ,cleaned and swapped the cam actuators. The error remained in the same bank. I then took the car to the Porsche dealer that replaced the PDK. They asked for my original purchase invoice and service records back to day one which I had. They also asked if I owned prior Porsches which I have ( 914, 911T, 911SC and 911 Turbo) They are currently working with Porsche tech support to resolve the issue. They mentioned the possibility of replacing the engine. I'm hoping for a favorable outcome financially for me.

I love my Cayman but it has not been trouble free. A rear strut was replaced due to squeaks, a front strut was replaced (don;t remember why), the gas tank padding had to be replaced (one was missing and it was squeaking) and the PDK was replaced.

I have come to the conclusion that I will not own a car without a warranty. They are just too complicated today. I will probably sell this car once I get it back and be without a Porsche until my 718 GT4 becomes available.

First World problems (as my kids would say) but still annoying.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:33 PM
SCHUTZEE
Rennlist Member

I got my car back on Friday. They replaced the cats as one had failed and was almost completely restricting the exhaust flow. Car ran great on the way home but soon the check engine was on :-(
I hooked up my OBD reader and it gave fault " P0141 , 02 Sensor Heater Circuit : Bank 1". I called the dealer and they said I would have to pay for an new O2 sensor. Not a happy camper as I feel it's related to the cat failure. Also means another trip to drop off/pick up the car.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:48 PM
zip
AutoX

Well, two days shy of a month, and my Cayman is finally back home and (knock on wood), a full up round once again. As I perused the article on the history of Porsche's PDK transmissions in this month's Panorama magazine (pg 78) it occurred to me that as "bullet proof" as these things are supposed to be, every now and then a bad one can slip through. While I hated that this happened at all (especially out of warranty), I guess I was fortunate that Porsche still stood behind it, and agreed that I should not have had such a devastating issue. Final disposition had me shelling out about $3600, while Porsche picked up the remainder of the $16,224. repair bill for the new transmission and transmission control unit. Because of my "participation" in the cost, I get a two year, unlimited mileage guarantee on the repair. So that's something. It could have been worse I suppose. MUCH worse.

We all know these cars are expensive going in. Hopefully this transmission will far exceed the 45K miles the last one lasted. I love the car. Does this taint my view of Porsche? Not as bad as if I had been stuck with the whole tab as I likely would have with many other brands. I will keep this car and drive it. That's why I bought it. Besides, what are the chances of lightning striking twice? Right?
Old 09-26-2018, 06:49 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zip
Well, two days shy of a month, and my Cayman is finally back home and (knock on wood), a full up round once again. As I perused the article on the history of Porsche's PDK transmissions in this month's Panorama magazine (pg 78) it occurred to me that as "bullet proof" as these things are supposed to be, every now and then a bad one can slip through. While I hated that this happened at all (especially out of warranty), I guess I was fortunate that Porsche still stood behind it, and agreed that I should not have had such a devastating issue. Final disposition had me shelling out about $3600, while Porsche picked up the remainder of the $16,224. repair bill for the new transmission and transmission control unit. Because of my "participation" in the cost, I get a two year, unlimited mileage guarantee on the repair. So that's something. It could have been worse I suppose. MUCH worse.

We all know these cars are expensive going in. Hopefully this transmission will far exceed the 45K miles the last one lasted. I love the car. Does this taint my view of Porsche? Not as bad as if I had been stuck with the whole tab as I likely would have with many other brands. I will keep this car and drive it. That's why I bought it. Besides, what are the chances of lightning striking twice? Right?
Better than BMW sticking you with a $7000 bill at 60K miles for a new turbo assembly even though a $10 bushing actually failed. PCNA steps up more than any other manufacturer does under similar circumstances.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:43 PM
SCHUTZEE
Rennlist Member

My car has been at the dealer since August 16th :-( They are waiting on an O2 sensor from Germany. Thank God I have another car to drive.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:50 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SCHUTZEE
My car has been at the dealer since August 16th :-( They are waiting on an O2 sensor from Germany. Thank God I have another car to drive.
It's surprising that such a common component as an O2 sensor is taking so long. There must be a ton of other folks in the same boat as you.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:14 AM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Originally Posted by zip
Porsche is going to pick up over $12K of the cost, and I'm on the hook for about $3,400. That's in addition to the other recent $1800 service (battery and ABS sensors). Because of my "participation" in the cost, Porsche will warranty both for 2 years. If they'd picked up the entire cost, there would have been no warranty (at least that's what I was told). So, at least it's going to get fixed, but I must say it has soured my view of the brand to some extent. I love the car, but I've never driven ANYTHING that had a transmission take a dump at 45K....
I guessed PDK in your first post. Transmission oil gets very hot driving 85 mph for an hour......The symptons were classic PDK computer failure.
Add your name to the very LONG list of PDK owners with catastrophic failures. (see other threads about PDK failures)
PDK transmissions are not as durable as a normal hydro automatic transmission or a manual.
Porsche has been buying customers' silence on this issue by doing these out of warranty "deals".
Notice how they qualified you as a prefered Porsche customer before offering the "the deal"?
The best advice is to change the PDK fluid every 2 years if you don't daily drive the car. Change it annually if you do daily drive the car.
Expensive service, yes, but cheaper than $15K for a new PDK; especially if you DYI or have your independent shop do it.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:19 AM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Originally Posted by zip
The battery itself was $363. Installed (programmed) total was $484. It was old and needed replacing. Both front axle wiring harness/speed sensors were $183 EACH (I was originally told $126 each). Total for the sensors came to $366 and another $447 to install and reprogram!!! So the total for the ABS speed sensors was $812! Diagnostic charge was $373. Shop supplies $37. Tax $119. Minor incidentals brought the total to $1825.

My fear is that we're back to square one with no idea what is going on, and no plan other than to eliminate fault codes until they narrow this down (at about $187/hr). Plus parts for whatever needs replacing. Plus "reprogramming". Plus labor. Plus tax. Plus?????
Aftermarket Battery under $200.00
ABS sensors online $18.00 each
1 hour labor to install both - $125

You got serious gouged.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FAULT ENGINE CONTROL POSSIBLE TO DRIVE