Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this normal on the 981 Boxster roof top after 10 min of heavy rain?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 07:43 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Leicht
Can I just re apply the last 2 coats over the weekend without redoing the whole process again?

should I follow like how the guy did for the last step?
If it's clean and dry, just vacuum with a brush attachment and use the sticky roller. Then get indoors and apply 2 more coats till the can is empty.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:23 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave in Chicago
I used to drape the entire car too, when I used the Porsche supplied protectant. Pretty sure I lost some brain cells breathing that stuff. It's not needed with RaggTopp, but certainly won't hurt anything. Painter's tape is your friend in this exercise.

Meanwhile... Yes, it's almost impossible to get even spray unless you are in the garage and out of any wind. The gentlest of breeze is problematic. I usually spray in the garage, then roll the car out into the sun to dry (dry's FAST), allowing for multiple coats in short order.

Good luck,

Dave
Good advice regarding taping off the car and trim.
Old 08-31-2018, 04:04 AM
DannieK
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I don't have the bottle label in front of me, but don't the Raggtop directions indicate that you should NOT let it dry?
Old 08-31-2018, 10:32 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

Don't let it dry on non-top surfaces (paint, trim, glass). You do let it dry on the top in between coats. In the sun, it's quite fast.

Dave
Old 08-31-2018, 12:03 PM
Leicht
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave in Chicago
Don't let it dry on non-top surfaces (paint, trim, glass). You do let it dry on the top in between coats. In the sun, it's quite fast.

Dave
​​​​​
do you just wipe it off the paint/glass or you need to use special solution?
Old 08-31-2018, 10:23 PM
sghokie
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When I sprayed mine I didn't tape up anything. The over spray just wiped right off with a microfiber towel.
The spray stuff was like hairspray.
Old 09-01-2018, 01:02 AM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 168 Posts

I used the Porsche product for years on the Boxster which worked very well but tired of the prep work. I switched to 303 which also worked well but didn't seem to last as long as the Porsche product. I still covered the car with sheets and tape to prevent overspray. The 303 product line also seemed to be a bit confusing on which product to use.

I just tried another product which was discussed at a recent tech session called Gtechniq https://usa.gtechniq.com/products/au...1-smart-fabric. I just washed the car for the first time after applying. The water ran off the cloth quickly. I sprayed the top with water for several minutes. The fabric protected continued to repel the water. The detailer at the tech session sprays the protectant on until the cloth is moist then lightly rubs it in with their gloved hands. I used this technique when applying the Gtechniq which seemed to give more even coverage with much less over spray. Time will tell if this product is any better but my initial impression is good.

Quick Reply: Is this normal on the 981 Boxster roof top after 10 min of heavy rain?