Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

987 Spyder original owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 03:12 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts
Default 987 Spyder original owners

As we have passed the 7 year mark since the last 987 Spyder came off the production line, the question is how many folks are still the original owners. We have put 40,000 mostly fun highway miles on our 2012 . It has been to multiple Parades towing our light custom trailer and are planning many more trips. I will admit it always brings smiles when a mid seventies couple egress from sport bucket seats. It is a keeper. How many others feel the same way.

2012 Aqua blue Spyder with sport buckets, nav, PDK,PCCB's, Sport Chrono, Bose, PSE, cup holder delete and interior panels painted aqua blue

enhancements added: aviation grade oil temp and oil pressure gauge installed in sport chrono bezel ( clock secured inside dash as all functions are replicated in panel) interior two tone blue and black with Alcantera blue seating surfaces. Hidden custom trailer hitch. GT3 lower control arms, Bilstein coil overs. Vehicle signed by Peter Porsche.

Interesting note ate shortly after I took delivery I was at a social function and asked to host Micheal Barch who at that time was COO of PCNA after a most enjoyable evening which included some great red wine we said goodnight by telling me that Porsche would never build another one like the 987 Spyder and to keep it as it would be a classic. Good advice and I’m keeping it for my 50 year old son .... someday

Last edited by f4 plt; 08-07-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:22 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,318 Likes on 787 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
e we said goodnight by telling me that Porsche would never build another one like the 987 Spyder and to keep it as it would be a classic. Good advice and I’m keeping it for my 50 year old son .... someday
He wasn't lying. They built a better one 4 years later. har har :-)

Seriously, I would love to see pics of your Spyder, inside and out. Including that custom sport chrono setup you installed.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:33 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 55 Posts

82k miles on mine 2011 white with sand beige full leather. I have been considering selling or trading it in since I would like a car I can fit my family in, including little boy in the backseat. But every time I try to look at something else, not to mention the increase cost of all the new cars, I can't help but look and think how beautiful the design and styling of the 987.2 Spyder is.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:48 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
He wasn't lying. They built a better one 4 years later. har har :-)

Seriously, I would love to see pics of your Spyder, inside and out. Including that custom sport chrono setup you installed.
maybe not better, just different
I will try and get some current ones in the next week. Spoiling grand kids has a higher priority right now
Old 08-08-2018, 12:58 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Hard to believe it’s been 7.5 years since I bought mine.

To this day, after 16,000 miles I still love everything about the Spyder and it’s one of the only cars I’ve owned that I haven’t really had the urge to modify. Perfect right out of the box.

I think we have one more original owner that I’m aware of here on Rennlist.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:56 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Not an original owner but a second time offender. Missed the first one so much I bought another. Now just shy of 40K miles on it and going strong. They're an exceptional car and I believe will not make another one like it - light weight, simple top, hydraulic steering, and a super revy NA 3.4. It's the PERFECT quintessential roadster.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:13 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

I may not be the original owner of mine, but I am hoping to be the last. I need to drive mine a lot more than I do, but I can say that I have enjoyed every mile so far. Each one has felt special.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:12 AM
11Spydr
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am the original owner of a 2011 Spyder purchased in July of 2010 from Stoddard::

Carrara White / Black standard interior w/ Alcantara PDK Sport Chrono LW Sport Buckets AC Delete Sport Exhaust Wheels Painted Black Roll Bar Painted Exterior Color & Model Designation Delete. My only mod is the addition of the Sport Steering Wheel w/ paddle shifters.

I had it out for a drive the past weekend & still love this car. IMHO the 987 Spyder is among the nicest & most unique watercooled Porsche models they have built.

Last edited by 11Spydr; 08-10-2018 at 01:35 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:54 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Hard to believe it’s been 7.5 years since I bought mine.

To this day, after 16,000 miles I still love everything about the Spyder and it’s one of the only cars I’ve owned that I haven’t really had the urge to modify. Perfect right out of the box.

I think we have one more original owner that I’m aware of here on Rennlist.

Yup. Me. Thanks for Afshin's referral, I was able to order my Spyder from his sales advisor. To our surprise, it went in as a 2012 model, because PCNA hadn't announced anything at the time I was ordering, about 2012 model year, and many thought 2011 was going to be the only year for the Spyder. No cup holders! I am such a rebel.

I even had the opportunity to order PTS. A week after I ordered, PCNA opened up PTS. I was considering Polar Silver or Sport Classic Grey. But the extra cost of PTS would meant that I would have to give up full leather. I was definitely conflicted back then, it felt trivial to fuzz over colors. I remember there was a thread back then of an owner who got flamed for ordering $15,000 worth of options, mostly cosmetic. Most 987 owners back then just got stick shift, buckets, sport exhaust and called it a day. Very different than 981 spyder owners. In the end I picked the fancy leather over a PTS color. But had I known that I could have a one of one in the world, I would have cough up the extra money.

I now have 8,300 miles. And am happy with the color choices. As you can see, I don't drive it enough. I got a lot of crap from my wife about buying a two seater car when we have 2 young children. Despite that, I still have the car. Maybe years from now, my sons will be driving it to the Greenwich Concours. Only mods are clear corners, clear bra, blend mount for the radar, and OEM dead pedal. I had Goodyears, now PS2's. I don't have a preference yet, the PS2's have been on it for less than 100 miles. Two of my TPMS batteries had to be replaced. The plastic piece that surrounds the red loop on the rear trunk is coming loose (look at my avatar pic). There are 5 fasteners/clips on each side and three of them broke on one side, two broke in the other. I used 3M all weather double sided tape to hold it down, and it's working fine. But I was told the entire plastic piece will need to be replaced, you can't just buy the fasteners. And the plastic piece comes primed, not painted. So a body shop is needed. Other than that, I love the car. Could not find anything I would want over it. Not a 981 Spyder, not a GT4, not a 911, not any BMW's.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:28 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Send me a PM regarding the plastic piece. If you still have the metal tabs and the plastic nubs that broke off I found a glue that will actually weld the plastic back together. Two of mine broke and I have glued them back on without issue and they’ve held.

Last edited by Marine Blue; 08-10-2018 at 11:52 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:58 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Not an original owner here. First two owners collectively drove it for 2000 miles .. I have driven it for 29,000 miles. If I were to have ordered a spyder it would've been:

1. Manual gear box. 2. 6-speed. 3. Short shift kit. 4. Sport exhaust 5. Bucket seats. 6. a/c and radio delete. 7. Ceramic brakes.

Just the bare essentials IMO.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:08 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

BTW, a couple of months before I was ready for a spyder I had posted a thread here a few years ago on a Platinum silver/red leather 2012 spyder with all the "right" options that also included door loops and seat belts in silver so that RL'er could pick it up. Indeed a RL'er did pick it up the same day.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:53 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thinking back, we actually have two more original owners here that haven’t posted yet. One of them technically sold his car and then bought it back. I believe the other one is the very first Spyder I test drove, I think that car is still in Rhode Island.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:01 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Once I saw Afshin’s Spyder in person I was sold ... how surrendipitous it is that I landed up with one of the very first produced GR Spyders.. one that Afshin happened to see in person on a concourse event in Cape Cod.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:52 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

And great to see you still have it Amar. I made the mistake, in the dead of winter, thinking I’d be happy with a 981Cayman. And although l really liked the Cayman, and still miss it in some aspects, I LOVED the Spyder and 10 months later snapped up another. I would have bought mine back but the buyer was very bonded to it by that time. Such are the ebbs and flows of life and the enjoyment of these very special cars.

Quick Reply: 987 Spyder original owners