Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Farewell to my Red Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 04:35 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

I thought you could CPO a car that's had a panel or two re-painted. Maybe I'm wrong. Either way, assumption is dealer knows there was damage given the price. 14k is certainly higher than what others are listed at, but $10k below MSRP CPO'd (only red one for sale in country) out of the gate is pretty aggressive if they weren't aware of the incidents. The only other car close to that MSRP listed for such a price is not CPO, being sold privately, and has 30k miles (I greatly applaud whoever got to drive it that much). So assumption is here they know about the incidents and chose to CPO anyway, but lowered the price to match the history. As long as the CPO will hold up... I don't see a problem as long as the incidents are disclosed.

Also, while I'm extremely transparent about my vehicles, I wouldn't run it through insurance if it was just replacing a bumper -- but that decision has nothing to do with Carfax. Even for $5k, I'd probably pass. FWIW, it seems that there can be quite a lag period between time of incident and report to carfax. Not saying that is the case here.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:10 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by guab
I thought you could CPO a car that's had a panel or two re-painted. Maybe I'm wrong. Either way, assumption is dealer knows there was damage given the price. 14k is certainly higher than what others are listed at, but $10k below MSRP CPO'd (only red one for sale in country) out of the gate is pretty aggressive if they weren't aware of the incidents. The only other car close to that MSRP listed for such a price is not CPO, being sold privately, and has 30k miles (I greatly applaud whoever got to drive it that much). So assumption is here they know about the incidents and chose to CPO anyway, but lowered the price to match the history. As long as the CPO will hold up... I don't see a problem as long as the incidents are disclosed.

Also, while I'm extremely transparent about my vehicles, I wouldn't run it through insurance if it was just replacing a bumper -- but that decision has nothing to do with Carfax. Even for $5k, I'd probably pass. FWIW, it seems that there can be quite a lag period between time of incident and report to carfax. Not saying that is the case here.
While the pricing may be appropriate considering the history I would hope the dealer does disclose the past.

Regarding the Carfax, IIRC the incident occurred at least 18 months ago so it should have been captured by now.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:27 PM
navarrojiii
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have seen the car in person at the dealership in Riverside and not at any point during my visit did they mention anything about the accident history of this Spyder. The car looks very clean in person but I'm thankful I didn't pull the trigger that day because I wanted to do more research on the car. Thanks to the original owner and for you guys for being transparent and brining this up.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:24 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by navarrojiii
I have seen the car in person at the dealership in Riverside and not at any point during my visit did they mention anything about the accident history of this Spyder. The car looks very clean in person but I'm thankful I didn't pull the trigger that day because I wanted to do more research on the car. Thanks to the original owner and for you guys for being transparent and brining this up.
Gotcha. Perhaps the sales guy didn't know about it. Or the market is way softer than literally everyone else is aware of =)
Old 08-17-2018, 06:44 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 809 Posts

Carfax is terrible. The only benefit I can see to a Carfax report is knowing which geographic region the car lived in and the titling history. As far as being an authority on whether a vehicle has been in an accident, it is near worthless.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:56 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Carfax is terrible. The only benefit I can see to a Carfax report is knowing which geographic region the car lived in and the titling history. As far as being an authority on whether a vehicle has been in an accident, it is near worthless.
I agree that Carfax isn’t the greatest, it’s just one tool that should be looked at. It can also help reveal consistent mileage assuming the car has been registered and driven regularly. But nothing replaces a proper PPI and inspecting the car in person.

Quick Reply: Farewell to my Red Spyder