Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Farewell to my Red Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 01:02 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Since the out the door price on a 1/24 is under $200 I'm leaning this way...

Ack!

My eyes! My eyes!
Old 08-09-2018, 01:24 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
Ack!

My eyes! My eyes!
I've gotta believe that was a former UCLA (or other school/team) athlete's car or something like that, maybe Reggie Miller? Hard to otherwise understand someone wanting that color combo. God awful.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:34 PM
Boxster7
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
Long live my Silver Spyder! Had to change my avatar to reflect the fact that I no longer am the owner of Vin...2904, I will miss that car, but not too much
Oh no!!!..... I think you may have sold the one in the fastest colour by mistake :-)
Never mind the GT Silver still looks pretty quick too.

Really hope you manage to get a Speedster... What a perfect garage that would be.

Thanks for sharing your Spyder journey.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:18 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
Congrats and condolences Andrew. Be sure to let us know when the replacement shows up (hopefully a Speedster!)

(yes, I'm still a lurker...)

DaveGee
Hey everyone. .. Can I just point out that the Ferrari 488 and the Porsche 981 Spyder often come up in the same sentence which is AMAZING to me and says a lot about the Spyder

Old 08-10-2018, 02:27 PM
WAILN6
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

Here's your red one listed at Walters https://www.porscheriverside.com/inv...cc2a88gs152904
Old 08-10-2018, 02:36 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by oilhammer
Here's your red one listed at Walters https://www.porscheriverside.com/inv...cc2a88gs152904
Anyone know what MSRP on this car was and what was the option price for the Burmester sound system?
Old 08-10-2018, 03:08 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

I feel you ......I pre-traded my Spyder for a 2019 RS will arrive in late Nov. process of elimination the 458 Spider which I love ....tough decisions, but someone will get a great Spyder. I’m guilty

Old 08-10-2018, 05:15 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maverick787

I feel you ......I pre-traded my Spyder for a 2019 RS will arrive in late Nov. process of elimination the 458 Spider which I love ....tough decisions, but someone will get a great Spyder. I’m guilty

Day-um.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:10 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Anyone know what MSRP on this car was and what was the option price for the Burmester sound system?
There is a spread sheet on this forum with all the info by vin. My orig sticker was in my glove box. I think it was 105K before tax and reg. I custom ordered the car and the burmester was around 6k add on.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:13 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by oilhammer
Yep that WAS my car. From conception on the configurator to 14k miles on the odometer it was mine .

I think it's a good deal. 10k off msrp.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:16 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maverick787

Great Build. Lucky you! I wish I had a warehouse for a garage.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:21 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Walter's has great photos. Check out my painted PCM. I was especially proud of that option.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:56 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

A cautionary tale can perhaps be learned from this car.

Because the owner has always been admirably transparent and open here about the damage to this car, we know that the car had undercarriage damage from running over a large piece of metal in the road, which then lodged itself between the under panels in the passenger floor pan. This resulted in replacement of undercarriage panels, the front bumper, the floor pan, and an air conditioning line by the dealer. Over $5K in repairs as I recall. The dealer had the car sent out for body work, too, if memory serves correctly, with the car being unavailable for a whole month or so while it was being repaired. Later, the car was involved in a parking lot collision, which, though it sounds very minor, did apparently result in the rear bumper being replaced (if I've got any of this wrong, I hope Andrew will clarify/correct). All of this was reported to insurance, as I recall, and was presumably known to the dealer performing the repairs, yet none of this information, none of these mechanical repairs, and none of the body work shows up on the CARFAX. In fact, the CARFAX states:
No accidents reported to CARFAX.

No damage reported to CARFAX.

Structural Damage
No structural damage reported to CARFAX

Accident/Damage
No accidents or damage reported to CARFAX

I'm not hating on the car. Obviously, stuff happens to our cars sometimes and in this case all the repairs were dealer performed so you can't ask for much more than that. I'm sure the car is now in great shape. And I'm not hating on CARFAX. CARFAX is only as good as the information reported to it. But what I'm wondering is this:

If the dealer knows the accident/damage /repair history of the car, which, for whatever reason, is not reflected in the CARFAX, does the dealer do a disservice to the public if it basically represents a car as having no history of accident, damage or repair?

Put another way, what duty does a dealership have, if any, to disclose a car's known damage/accident/repair history if the CARFAX gives the erroneous impression that the car has led a totally trouble-free existence?

Maybe this is nothing more than a perfect example of caveat emptor and I shouldn't be bothered by it, but personally I would want to know if a car I am considering purchasing had both bumpers replaced due to incident, undercarriage damage, etc., even if it had been repaired to a high standard and now has a CPO extended warranty, as in this case.

Old 08-17-2018, 02:40 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
A cautionary tale can perhaps be learned from this car.

Because the owner has always been admirably transparent and open here about the damage to this car, we know that the car had undercarriage damage from running over a large piece of metal in the road, which then lodged itself between the under panels in the passenger floor pan. This resulted in replacement of undercarriage panels, the front bumper, the floor pan, and an air conditioning line by the dealer. Over $5K in repairs as I recall. The dealer had the car sent out for body work, too, if memory serves correctly, with the car being unavailable for a whole month or so while it was being repaired. Later, the car was involved in a parking lot collision, which, though it sounds very minor, did apparently result in the rear bumper being replaced (if I've got any of this wrong, I hope Andrew will clarify/correct). All of this was reported to insurance, as I recall, and was presumably known to the dealer performing the repairs, yet none of this information, none of these mechanical repairs, and none of the body work shows up on the CARFAX. In fact, the CARFAX states:
No accidents reported to CARFAX.

No damage reported to CARFAX.

Structural Damage
No structural damage reported to CARFAX

Accident/Damage
No accidents or damage reported to CARFAX

I'm not hating on the car. Obviously, stuff happens to our cars sometimes and in this case all the repairs were dealer performed so you can't ask for much more than that. I'm sure the car is now in great shape. And I'm not hating on CARFAX. CARFAX is only as good as the information reported to it. But what I'm wondering is this:

If the dealer knows the accident/damage /repair history of the car, which, for whatever reason, is not reflected in the CARFAX, does the dealer do a disservice to the public if it basically represents a car as having no history of accident, damage or repair?

Put another way, what duty does a dealership have, if any, to disclose a car's known damage/accident/repair history if the CARFAX gives the erroneous impression that the car has led a totally trouble-free existence?

Maybe this is nothing more than a perfect example of caveat emptor and I shouldn't be bothered by it, but personally I would want to know if a car I am considering purchasing had both bumpers replaced due to incident, undercarriage damage, etc., even if it had been repaired to a high standard and now has a CPO extended warranty, as in this case.

here is the vin to this car:
WP0CC2A88GS152904

now a google search on vin will bring up this post. I'm surprised Porsche was able to cpo this car
Old 08-17-2018, 03:19 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I’m surprised it’s not on carfax and it is disconcerting that there’s a way to skate by.

I’m not at all surprised that the dealer would CPO the car and I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t report the bodywork. Has anyone inquired to confirm what information the dealer is offering?

Quick Reply: Farewell to my Red Spyder