Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I crazy? 2005 Boxster 180K miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 10:01 PM
addysdady
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I crazy? 2005 Boxster 180K miles

Hi all,

I am new to rennlist and considering am my first Porsche. Currently, my weekend/summer car is a BMW Z3. As much as I love the car, I am growing a little bored of it and recently decided to look for an older 986, My wife will probably take the Z as she loves driving it and gets a lot more looks than I ever will no matter what I drive. In my search, I came across a 2005 Porsche Boxster in the same price range as the 986's that I have been looking at. The problem is that the car has 180k miles. It looks like it has half of the miles and the clutch feels strong considering it's original. The documentation doesn't show any IMS replacement so that's a concern. I have been told conflicting things. One friend said that these Boxster's will run forever if they are properly cared for. Another says that the car will most like need $4000 in service in the next year or so. The maintenance records proof that this car was well cared for.

The price of the car is $5500. I walked away once but can't get it out of my head. Any advice or opinions would be appreciated. I have been a BMW guy my whole life and have taken a number of them well past 200k miles. I haven't heard many people speak about how they have put so many miles on their Porsche but I am sure these stories exist.

Thank you. I look forward to learning here on rennlist.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:35 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

The mileage and IMS don't scare me. I've read a good number of stories about Porsches with crazy amount of miles and I understand that IMS is less likely affect a high mileage car. If the car is well taken care of and you like the way it looks and the options it has, why not for that price?
Old 07-31-2018, 10:45 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 299 Posts

Let your body be the judge:
LISTEN for anything suspicious (engine, braking, shifting)
SMELL
FEEL how it steers. FEEL how it brakes.
LOOK at everything. It will have cosmetic issues.
If your guts says go for it , then maybe offer alittle lower price.
Rennlist has your back.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:46 PM
tomhartzell
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts

It's worth investing in a Pre-Purchase Inspection (PPI) from a dealer or independent shop or mechanic that's well-versed on the 986 Boxsters. I was considering a high-mileage (165K) Cayman S on the east coast that was very attractively priced, and offered to pay for the PPI at a local dealership. The dealership felt it needed over $14K in maintenance and repairs. If it had been in better shape, I would have bought it.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:43 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

I own a 173k mi 987.1S Cayman. I bought the car broken, and for a decent bit more than the one you are looking at. Mine had broken a valve spring, and bent a valve. Of course, even that requires a full engine rebuild. Inside the engine the thing looked like new. It had never had the IMS done, or anything else inside. I bought a new crank, on principal, did all new valves and springs, and of course bearings and seals. I consider it ready for another 175k mi. Clutch had previously been done and we didn't replace it.

My point is twofold:
1 is that at that mileage ANYTHING could happen. That is always a risk.
2 is that these are robust and durable cars.

At $5500 I would likely cast the dice and go for it. My car also looks 100k mi less than it really has.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:00 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

For 5500 there are a lot worse cars you can buy. And these are fun cars.
Get an inspection so you know what you're getting into, and go for it. just realize it is a Porsche, they are more $ than BMW to maintain (typical labor and parts), but the upside is they tend to be a lot more reliable.
Do it!
Old 08-01-2018, 02:01 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Go for it at that price. Even if it breaks, you could part it out for a good chunk of the $5,500 investment.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:17 PM
addysdady
Track Day

Thank you all for the vote(s) of confidence. I will be traveling for the next two weeks but I'll let you all know how it works out. Hopefully, I can make a deal before I leave. I look forward to becoming a regular!
Old 08-01-2018, 07:22 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Do it. At that price you can likely afford to fix some things that go wrong.
They are a heck of a lot of fun to drive and work on.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:42 PM
GT4John
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I recently met a gentleman with a 911 with 270,000+ miles on it. He's expecting to put another quarter million on it before he loses his ability to drive a car. :-)
Old 08-01-2018, 09:48 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

I met an attorney driving a 1964 356 he bought new after law school graduation. 930,000 miles nicely patina no accidents

Newport Beach CA

Said when he hits a million miles he been asked to be interviewed for a piece in excellence.

Not saying a Boxster has this staying power today but there are many examples of P cars running high mileage with nothing more than maintenance on wear items.

For 5k I'd gamble after a PPI to insure it doesnt have a long list of pending codes and the cam timing is so far off its a wonder its even running at all.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:33 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

While I wouldn’t tell anyone to avoid a 987 with that many miles, I would say that you should reasonably expect that it needs at least some repairs and maintenance. A partial list of potential items would be water pump, plugs/coils, Air-oil separator, misc suspension wear parts, brakes, clutch, alternator, A/C components, all kinds of belts and hoses, etc.

It’s possible that it needs nothing, but it’s probable that it will require at least a few wear items replaced.
A PPI is a good idea if you don’t know these cars well. The maintenance records are a huge plus IMO, and they can even help a PPI technician zero in on things.
If you have a couple thousand dollar budget (in addition to the purchase price) for potential repairs you should be safe, but without such a contingency it’s a risk that I wouldn’t personally undertake. The same would be true for a 80K-100K+ mile 986 BTW. ‘Most any car for that matter.

For example, I’ve got an Acura MDX and a Silverado each with about 85K miles and they’re both starting to need $500-$1,200 sized maintenance/repair items. You could effectively double those prices if they were Porsches.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:03 AM
addysdady
Track Day

Thank you all again for the advice, guidance, etc. I am fortunate enough that I can afford repairs and am actually quite handy myself.....Although, I have never worked on a Porsche and really HATE paying the shop. I have been away as has the seller. He returns on the 24th so hopefully a deal will be done then.

The seller has informed me that the PASM is stuck in sport mode. He explained that it doesn't effect much and isn't a concern. I am just wondering if anyone has experienced this. Is this a known issue? Is this a major concern? Is there a known fix? Again, the guidance is appreciated.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:11 PM
markl951
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check the VIN# against Porsche's IMS warranty database. My 987.1 Boxster is late production & is not covered because it has the updated IMS bearing design. I verified that when replacing a broken dual mass flywheel at 80K miles.

I've replaced a failed waterpump & two failed AOS valves but engine has been good otherwise. At 90K miles I switched to 5W-40 oil & change it every 4-5K miles. Oil is cheap. Car has 150K miles now.

Been thinking of trading /selling for a newer car recently but I'm having a hard time giving this car away for only $5K.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:06 PM
addysdady
Track Day

Originally Posted by markl951
Check the VIN# against Porsche's IMS warranty database. My 987.1 Boxster is late production & is not covered because it has the updated IMS bearing design. I verified that when replacing a broken dual mass flywheel at 80K miles.

I've replaced a failed waterpump & two failed AOS valves but engine has been good otherwise. At 90K miles I switched to 5W-40 oil & change it every 4-5K miles. Oil is cheap. Car has 150K miles now.

Been thinking of trading /selling for a newer car recently but I'm having a hard time giving this car away for only $5K.
Interesting. Where are you located? Perhaps we can have a further discussion.

Quick Reply: Am I crazy? 2005 Boxster 180K miles