Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987 Boxster Headlight Modernization

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 01:40 PM
Cheapo911
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 987 Boxster Headlight Modernization

Hello everyone! I've recently picked up a 05 Boxster and was looking to update the lighting. I noticed the car has what look to be halogen bulbs in a projector housing, making it seem like a LED bulb swap would be very effective in this situation. Has anyone swapped in a H7 LED bulb and had good results? Any bulb out warning lights?

Additionally the fog lights appear to be halogen, however with a reflector housing. Any ideas how to make these appear a little more modern? I'm not sure how a LED bulb would look here, and I'm not a big fan of the aftermarket LED fog light assemblies that replace the factory one. Thanks!

Oh and a few pics of the car, just for fun!

Old 08-01-2018, 01:50 AM
David Sasda
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the 987! I have an 06 Boxster Artic Silver with the same wheels!

I actually recently installed the Philips H7 6K kit on mine and have been really pleased. It's very white with a slight blue hue (not cool blue where it looks tacky). Not the brightest but definitely provided more visibility than the stock halogens, took ~30 minutes to install, plug-n-play, crammed the unit right in the headlight housing. It also looks like you have some yellowing on your headlights, clean that sucker or your HID will shine green.

I also replaced the DRL bulbs with the Philips 12961 CVB2 bulbs which resulted in whiter lights.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:19 AM
Cheapo911
Advanced

Originally Posted by David Sasda
Congrats on the 987! I have an 06 Boxster Artic Silver with the same wheels!

I actually recently installed the Philips H7 6K kit on mine and have been really pleased. It's very white with a slight blue hue (not cool blue where it looks tacky). Not the brightest but definitely provided more visibility than the stock halogens, took ~30 minutes to install, plug-n-play, crammed the unit right in the headlight housing. It also looks like you have some yellowing on your headlights, clean that sucker or your HID will shine green.

I also replaced the DRL bulbs with the Philips 12961 CVB2 bulbs which resulted in whiter lights.
Thanks! I've been thoroughly enjoying it so far.

Is this kit below the one you're referencing? I'm curious how those would compare to an off brand kit, like the second link. Might be worth trying for the $140 dollar difference.
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon

And yes definitely going to do a headlight and foglight restore before installing new bulbs! I noticed they looked pretty beat up, actually much worse in person than they do in the pictures.

I was also thinking of changing out the fogs as well. Any thoughts on these LED bulbs? Would be curious how they would pair with the same brand's headlights.
Amazon Amazon

Lastly earlier today I was reading that someone mentioned switching out the "side lights" with a more white bulb as well when doing the fogs. I wasnt aware there was another bulb in the housing with the fogs but I might do that as well (if I can find the post that was referencing it)
Old 08-01-2018, 02:20 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome! Good looking car. Not a color combo you see every day. I had an '05 and experienced nothing but miles of trouble free driving.

Sorry I can't shed some "light" on your halogen/LED inquiry. Good luck.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:27 AM
Cheapo911
Advanced

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Welcome! Good looking car. Not a color combo you see every day. I had an '05 and experienced nothing but miles of trouble free driving.

Sorry I can't shed some "light" on your halogen/LED inquiry. Good luck.
Thank you, and glad to hear about your good experiences with it! I had to take a bit of a risk on this one by skipping the PPI and move quickly with the purchase, but I'm hoping shes stays fun and reliable!
Old 08-01-2018, 01:56 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My fogs on my 2006 Cayman are different than the Boxster but they were originally halogen bulbs which I replaced with LED's. The LED's work great and provide very white light and got rid of that dim tint that the halogens display, especially when compared to my Xenon headlights. From what I've read, there are no code issues when doing anything with the fogs because they are not part of the system check, headlights however are checked by the system.
Old 02-23-2024, 03:19 PM
scapie4
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Led fog

I have replaced both the High beam (have a 2001 986 S with xenon low beams) and the fog bulbs both H7 with led ones by Phillips Ultinon edition. They are so good that the low beam xenons look outdated. It is a rather easy work to do only need to be careful trying to squeeze in the new bulbs.
Old 02-23-2024, 04:30 PM
Zepper
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by scapie4
I have replaced both the High beam (have a 2001 986 S with xenon low beams) and the fog bulbs both H7 with led ones by Phillips Ultinon edition. They are so good that the low beam xenons look outdated. It is a rather easy work to do only need to be careful trying to squeeze in the new bulbs.

Do you have any photos of the bulbs going in? How tight was the fit? Did you have to modify the headlight housings at all?

Quick Reply: 987 Boxster Headlight Modernization