Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$1300 for spark plug replacement??

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 11:49 AM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts
Default $1300 for spark plug replacement??

My new (to me) 2015 BS is nearing its 4-yr/40k service. The brake fluid flush and air filters were done last year as part of the CPO prep so that just the basic annual service (oil service, clear out all roof and ac drains, top off fluids, reprogram computers) and spark plug replacement are called for. The dealer quoted $625 for the annual service and $1300 for the plug replacement. While the annual service rate is within my expectation, the plug replacement seems high to me. Is $1300 for this particular task norm?

The car will be under the CPO warranty until July 2020. I am planning to let the dealer service the car until the warranty expires.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:01 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 135 Posts

Look in the manual...
When does it state you should replace the plugs?
Do you have thumbs?
Can you hold a wrench....?
Do it yourself when it is time...save large quantities of money.

Just for reference a local dealership with which I do business quoted nearly 4k for rotor and pad replacement on all 4 corners. Nothing fancy...steel rotor and ceramic pads.
$735 in parts and a couple hours of my time in labor and it was done. They have to make money but the service bay has been turned into a gold egg laying goose in some if not all dealerships.
The following 2 users liked this post by venom51:
djm68 (03-19-2020), M. Schneider (04-18-2020)
Old 07-31-2018, 12:05 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

Sounds about right for a Dealer.

Remember its 450.00 oil changes and 225.00 an hour.

Buy a good set of tools and a set of Rhino Ramps and a nice IPA.

Easy DIY job.

Then, with the savings take a nice weekend away.

Or, any good INDY can do this much less. Not sure if this violates your CPO but worth looking into.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:18 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

Dealer's service department - that's where the real money is made.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:35 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by venom51
Look in the manual...
When does it state you should replace the plugs?
Do you have thumbs?
Can you hold a wrench....?
Do it yourself when it is time...save large quantities of money.

Just for reference a local dealership with which I do business quoted nearly 4k for rotor and pad replacement on all 4 corners. Nothing fancy...steel rotor and ceramic pads.
$735 in parts and a couple hours of my time in labor and it was done. They have to make money but the service bay has been turned into a gold egg laying goose in some if not all dealerships.
Whoa! Woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? No reason to be hostile here. I have worked on all my race cars for years and surely know how to do the job. I'm just at a stage in my life where I'd rather pay other people to do these works and spend my own time on other things. Do I have thumbs? Sheesh, give me a break....
Old 07-31-2018, 12:45 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by storii
Whoa! Woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? No reason to be hostile here. I have worked on all my race cars for years and surely know how to do the job. I'm just at a stage in my life where I'd rather pay other people to do these works and spend my own time on other things. Do I have thumbs? Sheesh, give me a break....
That was tongue in cheek but I forgot this is the internet and people can't see sarcasm without a smiley....

It's an easy job....save yourself the bucks....
Old 07-31-2018, 12:56 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Wouldn't agree it's "easy," especially with catted headers still on, but it is worth saving the $ on. I did my own in 2-3 hours total and spent about $100 on the plugs (Bosch without the Porsche stamp).
Old 07-31-2018, 01:04 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by storii
Is $1300 for this particular task norm?
If you want to spend the money and have the peace of mind of using the dealership go right ahead. I completely understand that and it would be a very tough choice for me if I had that option. In my case there is no dealership in the state and only one Porsche specialty shop. I took my BGTS there for its 40K mile service in May. The major parts were oil, spark plugs, all filters (pre cabin, cabin, engine x 2), and brake flush. Total was $1,088 (before tax).

Hopefully seeing some indy pricing will help you make the call.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:23 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Like you, I've reached the point in my life where, whenever possible, I'd prefer to let others do the dirty work while I sip a shot of Colonel E.H. Taylor small batch and contemplate life. Since there is no CPO warranty requirement that routine service has to be done by a Porsche dealership, you may want to consider finding an independent shop to do your routine service and depend on the dealership for warranty work only.

"My" indy shop serviced my 993 for eleven years and when I got my CPO Cayman, I continued to use them for routine service. The savings are significant, I like having a "second set of eyes" on the car, and because the shop's reputation is impeccable, the dealership never bats an eye when I mention that they do the routine service. I also like the idea that the shop has history on the car from the beginning of my ownership since they're the ones that will eventually end up doing all of the work on the car.

This is not to say that "my" indy shop is inexpensive. It isn't. It's just a step between the savings of DIY and the extreme expense of dealerships. Just a suggestion.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:24 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
Wouldn't agree it's "easy," especially with catted headers still on, but it is worth saving the $ on. I did my own in 2-3 hours total and spent about $100 on the plugs (Bosch without the Porsche stamp).
My last race car was a Formula Ford, therefore, I'm spoiled in terms of working on cars. Everything was right there exposed in front of you and there was no getting around to get to where you need to. I just can't bring myself up to spend 2-3 hours to change the plugs.

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
If you want to spend the money and have the peace of mind of using the dealership go right ahead. I completely understand that and it would be a very tough choice for me if I had that option. In my case there is no dealership in the state and only one Porsche specialty shop. I took my BGTS there for its 40K mile service in May. The major parts were oil, spark plugs, all filters (pre cabin, cabin, engine x 2), and brake flush. Total was $1,088 (before tax).

Hopefully seeing some indy pricing will help you make the call.
I'm thinking to bite the bullet and go with the dealer until the warranty expires. I don't think either DIY or going with an indy will void the warranty, but I would like to avoid the hassle to have to prove all the maintenance work got done in a timely fashion should something goes wrong while the car is still under the warranty (knock on wood). I just don't want to pay more than I should. I have 3 Porsche dealers within a reasonable distance so I can shop around if I have to. Two more years, and it will all be indy! Thanks for the indy pricing info.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:37 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TMc993
Like you, I've reached the point in my life where, whenever possible, I'd prefer to let others do the dirty work while I sip a shot of Colonel E.H. Taylor small batch and contemplate life.
I am not handy. At all. Home maintenance/repair, vehicle maintenance/repair, yard work, etc. None of it. One of the greatest feelings in my life was reaching the point where I can say, "I have a guy for that."

That being said, since getting my 2001 Miata a couple of years ago I've enjoyed the occasional attempts at *tiny* maintenance items. Spark plugs, plug wires, transmission fluid, diagnosing and fixing the occasional weird rattle or smell.

No way am I attempting any kind of maintenance/repair on the Porsche though!
Old 07-31-2018, 01:39 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Understandable perspectives. I'm a young guy with lots of maintenance years ahead of me for the foreseeable future -- I'd rather spend a few hours of my time per year doing plugs and brakes and such and spend that money on track time. But each year I lean more toward hiring out more work.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:11 PM
Jerry in Canada
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had my 4 year service done by my Independent at a cost of $980 (Canadian) plus tax.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:12 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
That being said, since getting my 2001 Miata a couple of years ago I've enjoyed the occasional attempts at *tiny* maintenance items. Spark plugs, plug wires, transmission fluid, diagnosing and fixing the occasional weird rattle or smell.

No way am I attempting any kind of maintenance/repair on the Porsche though!
Why not? These are just cars, they all look the same from underneath, unless you're talking about a Bugatti or a Koenigsegg.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:20 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ekam
Why not? These are just cars, they all look the same from underneath, unless you're talking about a Bugatti or a Koenigsegg.
Having been under my Boxster GTS, I can assure you it looks nothing like my Miata under there.
The following users liked this post:
MotoJB (07-18-2019)

Quick Reply: $1300 for spark plug replacement??