Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$1300 for spark plug replacement??

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 03:26 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

For sure. Having worked on E36's, E92's, and other stuff in the past, the mid engine 981 is not nearly as easy to work on. It's tough to get to stuff. Hell, just getting to the coolant cap to achieve vacuum to fill the system requires 30+ minutes of work to remove trim and the engine cover.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:28 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

Just watch this video. If it's THAT involved for an oil change, I'll be more than happy to pay someone to do it.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:09 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by ekam
Just watch this video. If it's THAT involved for an oil change, I'll be more than happy to pay someone to do it.
I've seen that video; and that IS what it would look like if I tried to change the oil in my Boxster.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:54 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

$1,300 seems really excessive to me for just changing the spark plugs.

Would you mind saying want dealer quoted you that price, if you’re not comfortable naming them here could you please PM the name. The only reason I ask is that my 2 year service is due on my 2016 CGTS and I’d prefer not to inflated prices.
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (04-18-2020)
Old 07-31-2018, 08:21 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim137a
$1,300 seems really excessive to me for just changing the spark plugs.

Would you mind saying want dealer quoted you that price, if you’re not comfortable naming them here could you please PM the name. The only reason I ask is that my 2 year service is due on my 2016 CGTS and I’d prefer not to inflated prices.
Sure, it's Paul Miller Porsche in Parsippany, NJ. They agreed to apply 10% PCA discount to the quoted price and provide me with a loaner. They were pretty reasonable when I used them to retrofit the PSE a few months ago. I am thinking what they quoted me may be close to the average price from dealers. In an effort to put things in perspective, I requested a quote for the same work from a reputable indy (Apex Autowerks in Clifton, NJ). I had them mount and balance a set of new tires a few months ago and was happy with their work and price.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:24 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Thanks for the info.

Let us us know how you make out on pricing regarding the spark plug change.

I have no no experience with this shop but a few people have recommended them to me:

http://www.pwr-tech.com/index.html

Originally Posted by storii
Sure, it's Paul Miller Porsche in Parsippany, NJ. They agreed to apply 10% PCA discount to the quoted price and provide me with a loaner. They were pretty reasonable when I used them to retrofit the PSE a few months ago. I am thinking what they quoted me may be close to the average price from dealers. In an effort to put things in perspective, I requested a quote for the same work from a reputable indy (Apex Autowerks in Clifton, NJ). I had them mount and balance a set of new tires a few months ago and was happy with their work and price.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:00 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim137a
Thanks for the info.

Let us us know how you make out on pricing regarding the spark plug change.

I have no no experience with this shop but a few people have recommended them to me:

http://www.pwr-tech.com/index.html

You got 2 more years to figure out what you want to do about the plug replacement since it's 40k miles or 4 years whichever comes sooner. By then, your new car warranty should be ending and you will be free to go to any indy. I have no first-hand experience with Power Tech, though.

Originally Posted by venom51
Look in the manual...
When does it state you should replace the plugs?
I checked the Porsche maintenance booklet. It clearly states that the spark plugs need to be replaced "every 40,000 miles, but no later than every 4 years". Check your facts before you post.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:07 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 135 Posts

I was merely advising him to check the manual to make sure they were recommending something that didn't "need" to done. Read what I said before you respond to a post.
redcayman07 (04-18-2020)
Old 07-31-2018, 10:19 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by venom51
I was merely advising him to check the manual to make sure they were recommending something that didn't "need" to done. Read what I said before you respond to a post.
Whatever....
Old 07-31-2018, 10:28 PM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 100 Posts

So I just took a look at my CS service schedule (second owner). I realized that even the car is a 2015, it was built/sold in late 2014, and it doesn't look like me/the original owner calculated the service correctly. It's had the 10k, 20k, and I did what I thought was going to be the 30k service, but in reality I now realize it should have been the 40k service (plugs). My dealer didn't catch this. Should I do plugs/filters now? Just wait till next year with the "regular" maintenance? The car has 20k miles.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:42 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ToasterThief
So I just took a look at my CS service schedule (second owner). I realized that even the car is a 2015, it was built/sold in late 2014, and it doesn't look like me/the original owner calculated the service correctly. It's had the 10k, 20k, and I did what I thought was going to be the 30k service, but in reality I now realize it should have been the 40k service (plugs). My dealer didn't catch this. Should I do plugs/filters now? Just wait till next year with the "regular" maintenance? The car has 20k miles.
I gather your car is nearing the end of its new car 4-yr warranty. Unless you bought an extended warranty or your car has the CPO warranty, I would just wait until the next annual service to do the plugs and filters. With only 20k miles, that shouldn't cause any problem.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:45 AM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

From personal experience in the past and that of friends recently , when the OPC asks a high price and you say its cheaper elsewhere they will quickly drop their estimate , a lot. Just play the game.
M. Schneider (04-18-2020)
Old 08-01-2018, 09:23 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

Likely will do plugs on my ‘05 Boxster S pretty soon. Agree key points above... DIY’r? Great, have at it. Rather have it done? Great, check quality independent shop. Love Porsche dealer coffee? Great, pay their rate and move on. To each his own and we are all better for it.

I’ll likely ramp the car and tackle this in August. Just finished oil, filters, brake / clutch flush, pads and sensors. Was a therapeutic garage day ;-)

My question to group is on coils... replace them all at same time as a PM item. Given age of car, I’m leaning towards yes. I don’t mind doing the work, but will be bummed if I have to do it twice, so to speak. Thoughts on the coils “while your in there”?

Thanks,

Dave

’05 987S
’92 968 SP3
’88 944 NA (gone)
Old 08-01-2018, 10:15 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Jonny
...when the OPC asks a high price...
What is OPC in that context?
Old 08-01-2018, 10:25 AM
storii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dave in Chicago
Likely will do plugs on my ‘05 Boxster S pretty soon. Agree key points above... DIY’r? Great, have at it. Rather have it done? Great, check quality independent shop. Love Porsche dealer coffee? Great, pay their rate and move on. To each his own and we are all better for it.

I’ll likely ramp the car and tackle this in August. Just finished oil, filters, brake / clutch flush, pads and sensors. Was a therapeutic garage day ;-)

My question to group is on coils... replace them all at same time as a PM item. Given age of car, I’m leaning towards yes. I don’t mind doing the work, but will be bummed if I have to do it twice, so to speak. Thoughts on the coils “while your in there”?

Thanks,

Dave

’05 987S
’92 968 SP3
’88 944 NA (gone)
Considering the age of your car (providing that the coils have not been changed in the recent past), and that it is major PITA to get to the plugs (and the coils), I would replace the coils as well "while I'm in there". Just my 2 cents.
TXshaggy (04-19-2020)

Quick Reply: $1300 for spark plug replacement??