Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Induction Sound in 987

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 03:32 PM
Alanine
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Induction Sound in 987

Is there any way to amplify the induction sound on a 987, without something as drastic as the Fabspeed intake kit (which requires you to butcher the OEM airbox if you're not willing to drop the engine)? I've read that de-snorking offers marginal gains over stock and imagine it's the same for aftermarket filters that retain the OEM airbox. A better solution seems like retro-fitting the sound-symposer tube found in the 981 GTS, which connects the intake plenum to the cabin. I wonder how tricky that would be (I'm assuming the 987 intake does not have the required ports). Not really keen on a clear engine cover, although that should do it! Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
jacqueusi (09-26-2022)
Old 07-25-2018, 03:44 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

aftermarket filters boost intake noise. K&N or BMC. Leaving the vertical carpet piece out (which covers the filters) works too, if you don't care about it looking a bit unfinished back there.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:22 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 430 Posts

Scott here at Fabspeed Motorsport, if your looking for something simple that will change the induction sound, as PorscheAddict said, a BMC replacement air filter is the easiest/cheapest/quickest way to accomplish this.

>>BMC Air Filter<<

Feel free to PM for any further questions or pricing!!!

Old 07-25-2018, 04:27 PM
Alanine
Instructor

Thanks guys. I think I will give the BMC a go.

I also found a thread where someone did a DIY "retrofit" of the 991 sound-symposer into a 997:

Linky

I wonder where is the best place to tap into the inlet tract on a 987 intake. Possibly the airbox itself (so upstream of the air filter rather than towards the MAF sensor)?
Old 09-26-2022, 12:36 PM
jacqueusi
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Alanine, any updates on this project? I too am looking for an affordable solution to more induction sound.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-27-2022, 02:38 AM
Alanine
Instructor

Originally Posted by jacqueusi
Alanine, any updates on this project? I too am looking for an affordable solution to more induction sound.

Thanks in advance.
Hi. I actually sold my 987.2 a few years ago, but I was planning to connect the 981 GTS sound symposer to my intake and pass it into the cabin. I never got around to it, but I do actually have the sound symposer for sale, if you’re interested in a project! Cheers.
Old 09-27-2022, 07:33 AM
JZ98-993
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I just installed the PCS innovations intake and wow talk about a major improvement in induction sound! It does require you to cut the air box, but after this sound I’m never going back any way. I guess I see how some people think it’s too much as you can hear some of the air sucking in with the windows up under load ( personally think it sounds cool) but WOT 2-3 shifts it’s absolutely glorious
Old 09-29-2022, 02:45 PM
jacqueusi
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the update! I'm going to try the aftermarket filter and baffle delete first. Will follow-up if that doesn't produce enough intake sound.
Old 10-09-2022, 06:47 PM
Topshelf
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ98-993
I just installed the PCS innovations intake and wow talk about a major improvement in induction sound! It does require you to cut the air box, but after this sound I’m never going back any way. I guess I see how some people think it’s too much as you can hear some of the air sucking in with the windows up under load ( personally think it sounds cool) but WOT 2-3 shifts it’s absolutely glorious
Do you have a link to the intake you bought? Or an in cabin video/audio to share? I don't want to go any louder than my current exhaust system, but would love more noise inside the cabin when getting on it so curious about this and the BMC. Thanks

Quick Reply: Induction Sound in 987