Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this hood resprayed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 09:22 AM
QXTC
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is this hood resprayed?

I'm looking at this 987 in midnight blue, had a mechanic do a PPI, and he said he thought it looked like the hood had been resprayed. When I look at the photos, I can't tell at all. But the mechanic said when I get my face up close, I might be able to tell. I haven't seen the car in person yet--and if I go out to see it, what are the best lighting conditions for me to see something--full sunlight, and maybe fluorescents in a garage? (I don't think nighttime will be possible, for orange fluoros). Otherwise do all y'all think I'm being too nervous about this? I've searched the forums and read all the angst about resprays, especially on metallic colors.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:23 AM
QXTC
Track Day

Old 07-25-2018, 09:24 AM
QXTC
Track Day

Old 07-25-2018, 09:34 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

From those pics it doesn't look like a respray to me. The shape of the hood and body lines and reflection / refraction of light makes it look different. Here's a pic a friend took of my car. Hood looks like it's got a matte finish on it, but it's just the way the sun hits it.

View this post on Instagram

Here's another he took on the same day...

View this post on Instagram
Old 07-25-2018, 09:41 AM
michaelo
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Did you ask the seller if it was resprayed? Also why can't the mechanic doing the PPI be able to confirm a respray? Isn't that what you are precisely paying him for?
Old 07-25-2018, 10:43 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

If it’s a good respray that matches well with the rest of the car (colour and finish), should you care? These cars are very prone to stone chips, and I’ve contemplated getting my hood resprayed just for that reason. If there’s accident damage, that’s a different matter, but a high quality respray wouldn’t bother me at all.
The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (12-26-2020)
Old 07-25-2018, 10:52 AM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I assume he ran something over it to check for bondo? If it is that hard to tell...

I had an e46 M3 for several years - never sprayed it at all, just used touch-up on rock chips. When I came to sell it I was pretty stunned that most folks were unhappy it was not re-sprayed. Guess it goes both ways. My general philosophy is never respray anything unless absolutely necessary, not sure that is shared by all.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:20 AM
QXTC
Track Day

Thank you, guys. I am unsophisticated (if that is not already clear). The seller claims “paint meter shows no paintwork,” and mechanic told me he thought it was resprayed just based on his bare eye getting very close—said he couldn’t tell from 10 ft. When I raised this with the seller he said “well like I said the paint meter doesn’t show anything, so if they resprayed it they did a hell of a good job.” What else should I be asking? And, if I show up live and can’t tell any difference, is there any real ongoing risk from a respray? Like perhaps parts of it will start to wear unevenly.

Also, would white or orange fluoros maybe reveal a difference that isn’t clear in bright sun? Thanks all again.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:21 AM
QXTC
Track Day

Scooby921, that is a beautiful car! Right color for sure
Old 07-25-2018, 11:35 AM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee
If it’s a good respray that matches well with the rest of the car (colour and finish), should you care? These cars are very prone to stone chips, and I’ve contemplated getting my hood resprayed just for that reason. If there’s accident damage, that’s a different matter, but a high quality respray wouldn’t bother me at all.
What's the first thing listed when someone is trying to sell a house? A fresh coat of paint. Somehow touching the paint on a car is a negative. I have always found that to be odd.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:41 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Ask the seller to provide the paint meter readings for each panel. Take pics of the meter on the panel so you can confirm. You could also ask the seller to provide pics of the edge of the hood to see if there’s any tape lines.

Those pictures aren’t nearly high enough resolution to determine if the hood was resprayed, you would need to see full resolution pictures on a computer screen to have any chance at detecting a respray.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:44 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

take it to a body shop and get their opinion.
otherwise painter meter should tell whats up.
is the option sticker under the hood?
did you run car fax ?
Old 07-25-2018, 11:47 AM
QXTC
Track Day

Thank you, Marine Blue—that’s helpful. If it is a good job, are you able to estimate how close you would need to be to the car to notice it? And if it’s so subtle, why should I care? I have tried to read up on all this but...I am not knowledgeable.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:53 AM
QXTC
Track Day

Turbodan, the issue is that I am not local and I already had a ppi done, so idk if I can also get it to a body shop. Yes I ran a carfax, single owner on a 2007 car (now with a dealer), it did have an accident to the rear 6 years and 25k miles ago, but the ppi found no evidence of rear repair. If I can’t tell with my eyes, what is the risk—uneven future wear and the need for additional future paint?
Old 07-25-2018, 11:55 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
take it to a body shop and get their opinion.
otherwise painter meter should tell whats up.
is the option sticker under the hood?
did you run car fax ?
Agreed that if you have concerns, a body shop should be able to tell. Just FYI, 987 and 997 cars don’t have option stickers under the hood.

Quick Reply: Is this hood resprayed?