Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Early Spyder Sticker Re-creation

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 12:51 PM
SCMike
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Early Spyder Sticker Re-creation

I just went through a sometimes confusing exercise in re-creating the window sticker for my 2011 Spyder, and thought that I would leave some bread-crumbs if someone else with an early Spyder comes this way. Chris of stuttgartstudios.com did a superb job on the re-creation and was an absolute bull-dog in getting everything exactly right for the final cloned sticker.

The basic problem is that the Porsche build-sheet and also the Certificate of Authenticity (or Porsche Production Specification Document, as it has just recently come to be) only documents the TOTAL MSRP, not breaking out the costs of the individual options. We had initial problems getting the sum of the parts to EXACTLY equal the given total.The confusion seems to lie with the early Spyders – mine is #239, a March 2010 production. If you go hunting just for the base price of the Spyder, you can find a variety of numbers given out there on the web. Most popular is a base price of $61,800. BUT, as we determined, the base price on my early Spyder was $61,200.

Another minor detour was the price of the heated seats option. Some places it is given as $525, others as $510 – mine was $525. But the biggest bugaboo was the price of the “Black Full Leather Inter Sp St”. We finally determined that my interior option was priced at $3,655. The more commonly found price for the Leather Sports Seats on the 987.2 Spyder is $2,385. For some reason, my black interior had a $1,270 upcharge from that. I'm not sure if the early Spyder black full leather interior had some extra bits compared to later, or Porsche just repriced downwards later. I did finally find confirmation in the previous owner's records that the interior option was indeed $3,655.

All the other options were priced as is commonly reported. So for my early Spyder, take the $61,200 base price, add the $525 heated seats and the $3,655 black full leather interior, plus the other miscellaneous options and the $950 destination charge – kaching, the total MSRP comes to $77,990, exactly what the original Porsche documentation reported.

And the stuttgartstudios laminated window sticker looks mahvelous....
Old 07-17-2018, 01:21 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Mike, sorry to hear about your adventure trying to get the correct figures. You are not alone. I believe it was SpyderSenseOC who recently encountered a similar issue working with Chris to get all the numbers to add up. With my own car, I've gone back and looked at various build sheets, order forms, my window sticker, the configurator option prices, delivery/destination charges, etc., and, as you note, there is not always uniformity. But it sounds like you guys got it sorted and you're pleased with the result. Has to feel good to have a high-quality recreation of this vital piece of your car's documentation.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:48 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,318 Likes on 787 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Mike, sorry to hear about your adventure trying to get the correct figures. You are not alone. I believe it was SpyderSenseOC who recently encountered a similar issue working with Chris to get all the numbers to add up. With my own car, I've gone back and looked at various build sheets, order forms, my window sticker, the configurator option prices, delivery/destination charges, etc., and, as you note, there is not always uniformity. But it sounds like you guys got it sorted and you're pleased with the result. Has to feel good to have a high-quality recreation of this vital piece of your car's documentation.
Yep. We had issues with the base MSRP and the interior option cost. Here's the text of an email Chris sent me regarding my early production Spyder:

Okay I think I see what’s going on – I just have no good idea why it’s going on. But, the PCNA build sheet and this lengthier build sheet with line-item pricing both reach $107,575. So, we have to presume $107,575 is indeed the correct number. And the line-item priced build sheet certainly tabulates to that.

The odd thing is HOW they are tabulating it.
  • Normal BASE pricing is 82,100 but the spec sheet starts at 84,350.
  • The spec sheet does not have a line item price for interior 79 leather with black alcantara and stitching in silver, but this is usually not a no-cost interior. Its usually 2,160.
  • Base on the above two facts, 82,100 and 2,160 = 84,260 which his pretty close to 84,350. So I think somehow the base price has the interior thrown in with it, leaving the line item for the interior as 0. At 82,100, the interior would need to be 2,250 to reach 84,350 base price on the nose. I looked and never could find either a base price for the boxster at 84,350 or an interior code 79 at 2,250. The numbers I keep getting are 82,100 and 2,160. Be that as it may, the 84,350 base is real close to what I would normally see if you combined these two and as the other math falls in place for other options, you get to MSRP accurately.
  • Adaptive sport seats are usually 2,275 but on your spec sheet they are listed as 2,635. I have seen 2,635 on a few cars so this is legit – just not common. Likely a mid-cycle price increase. Other than the base price, interior conundrum, and adaptive seat prices, everything else is spot-on.

Bottom line is we have two basic directions we can go:
  1. Use pricing as-is on the spec sheet. This way it all matches and if someone raises a stink you can always point to it and say we were following the leader. Even though the 84350 base price and 0 price on the code 79 interior is – well – unprecedented in my research.
  2. Use the more standard 82,100 base price, 2250.00 (slightly adjusted from normal 2160.00) for interior code 79, and rest of pricing the same. This would make only the interior price seem a bit out of the ordinary, but, everything would no longer be congruent w/the all pricing on the spec sheet.

Old 07-17-2018, 02:10 PM
SCMike
Rennlist Member

Aaaannnnddddd, this is why the original owner of a Porsche, should always save (and pass forward!) the original window sticker. Looks like early Spyders in both generations showed a bit of creative pricing by Porsche.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:14 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by SCMike
Aaaannnnddddd, this is why the original owner of a Porsche, should always save (and pass forward!) the original window sticker. Looks like early Spyders in both generations showed a bit of creative pricing by Porsche.
+1. At the very least everyone should take a pic/scan of their window sticker and tuck it away should, down the road, the physical sticker ever get lost or misplaced. Will save time and hassle in the long run should the original owner or subsequent owner(s) ever need/want to have a replica sticker made.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:21 PM
SCMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
+1. At the very least everyone should take a pic/scan of their window sticker and tuck it away should, down the road, the physical sticker ever get lost or misplaced. Will save time and hassle in the long run should the original owner or subsequent owner(s) ever need/want to have a replica sticker made.
Great idea. Just like all the classic Corvette collectors go ape over the "tank sticker", maybe we should start a "frunk sticker" campaign.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:09 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by SCMike
Agreed Mike! I never understood why more people don’t hold on to these documents, especially on a rare car. I have my window sticker, the build sheet, emails containing the updates from Porsche on the build and shipping status as well as the warning stickers that came with the car. I kept everything! But alas it’s not really going to benefit the next seller, at least not anytime soon.

Quick Reply: Early Spyder Sticker Re-creation