Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Climate change and the Gen-1 "sun-shade"...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 06:20 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts
Default Climate change and the Gen-1 "sun-shade"...

Like many of you here I'm a true Spyder guy all the way through and through . A/C delete, cup holder delete etc...The top, AKA "sun shade"? Throw it away, put it in a box and be done with it!

Until… this year of blazing heat. I've used the sun-shade twice now, stopping in heavy traffic at a stop light and getting out and clipping it on. It takes less than 30 seconds. Just the sun-shade, not the 2nd piece that closes the cabin in. Then with the back center window out and the sides down for some breeze.... Ahhhhh… It's brilliant. Thank you PAG!

Last edited by Zeus993; 07-16-2018 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:28 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,617 Likes on 889 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Like many of you here I'm a true Spyder guy all the way through and through . A/C delete, cup holder delete etc...The top, AKA "sun shade"? Throw it away, put it in a box and be done with it!

Until… this year of blazing heat. I've used the sun-shade twice now, stopping in heavy traffic at a stop light and getting out and clipping it on. It takes less than 30 seconds. Just the sun-shade, not the 2nd piece that closes the cabin in. Then with the back center window out and the sides down for some breeze.... Ahhhhh… It's brilliant. Thank you PAG!

Thus the reason I returned. Porsche will never make a car like the first Gen Spyder again. Pure, Raw and lightweight... all about becoming one with the car and the environment you are in.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:06 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 63A 981510

Thus the reason I returned. Porsche will never make a car like the first Gen Spyder again. Pure, Raw and lightweight... all about becoming one with the car and the environment you are in.
So absolutely true. When do you take procession?
Old 07-16-2018, 01:09 PM
SCMike
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 82 Posts

Just the sun-shade, not the 2nd piece that closes the cabin in. Then with the back center window out and the sides down for some breeze.... Ahhhhh… It's brilliant. Thank you PAG!
Here down south, that's the way I drive around all the time. Truly a brilliant/unique design, that we will probably never see on another Porsche....
Old 07-16-2018, 06:46 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

LOL! The Thinking Man's Porsche. I love that! That means, contrary to what my wife says, I actually think!

And agree 100% - I doubt we'll see another Porsche like it unless... PAG decides to do some uber-cool hybrid design. Time will tell...

Last edited by Zeus993; 07-17-2018 at 02:54 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:54 PM
Craig67
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

That is how I drove most of the time here in FL. Miss that car....maybe one day I will get another.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:10 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Joel, I find your comments about the sun shade interesting. It sounds like for you, the sun shade has historically been an item that doesn't get much use and is usually relegated to storage. Because it's such a cool feature, I always imagined that if I owned this car I would be using the sun shade all the time, particularly on hotter So Cal days when you want the open-air top-down sensation, but need the sun protection.

I guess frequency of use of the sun shade is somewhat dependent on your local climate and sun tolerance, but I know down here that baby would get quite a workout. Anyway, glad to hear yours is getting more use as it's always cool when you "re-discover" a feature that you may have forgotten about or just seldom used.

Speaking of "discovery," and in a totally unanalogous example, I just discovered that my Spyder glove box has two small clips to hold a pen.

I seldom open the glovebox and when I do it's usually while the car is parked in my garage where the lighting isn't the best and I'm looking in at certain angle where these clips are easy to miss. Still, after 2+ years of ownership, I can't believe I didn't know they were there. Doh!

I'm now hunting for the perfect writing instrument to occupy these clips. Because it's the Spyder, no plain-Jane Bic will do! LOL It's a challenge because the diameter of the clips is quite small so they will only hold a very thin pen. A logical choice would be a nice Porsche Design model, but I think each pen in the current lineup is too thick to fit. I know you're a pen guy, so holler if you (or anyone) have a killer suggestion, but it has to be THIN.

Quick Reply: Climate change and the Gen-1 "sun-shade"...