Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Pads that play nice with OEM pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 11:41 AM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Track Pads that play nice with OEM pads

I would like to get a set of track pads for the occasional HPDE. I would prefer to just swap them out with the OEM ones for the event then go back. Some pad compounds don't play well together necessitating swapping out rotors for the track as well, but I would prefer to avoid that. What are some options?
Old 07-12-2018, 11:59 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Your plan has risks. Because the front calipers on 981s must be removed to change pads, you will be cycling the caliper mounting bolts frequently. This increases the risk of stripping the aluminum threads in the wheel carrier, which can cause unexpected and even catastrophic brake assembly failures. If you feel that you must switch back to street pads after every track event at least get caliper studs to replace the caliper bolts thus avoiding the thread stripping problem.

I believe there are pads that can be used on the track and street, I.e., intermediate between the two extremes. This might be an option. Just leave them on.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:06 PM
mts
Rennlist Member

1 - 2 events per year.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:46 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Last January, I picked up an '11 Cayman S with 17k miles on the clock. It appeared to be mostly all street driven. This may sound a little crazy, but after doing a DE, the brakes really started to grab. Very possible that the pads were glazed from street applications and were finally "bedded in" on the track. Suggest you try some serious braking to see if this is the case. Comments anyone????
Old 07-12-2018, 09:54 PM
djm68
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mts
I would like to get a set of track pads for the occasional HPDE. I would prefer to just swap them out with the OEM ones for the event then go back. Some pad compounds don't play well together necessitating swapping out rotors for the track as well, but I would prefer to avoid that. What are some options?
Pagid yellows are perfectly compatible with OEM pads; many people, myself included, have used them for years without issues with OEM pads. I am using PFCs now, happy with their braking ability and longevity thus far, but oh my, the squeal is terrible.

With regards to stripping the aluminum threads due to repeated use: this is a well known problem and the simple, affordable and readily available solution is thread-in studs to replace the bolts. Easy-peasy.

Cheers,
DJM
Old 07-13-2018, 07:32 AM
mts
Rennlist Member

Thank you! Where can I purchase the caliper studs?
Old 07-13-2018, 08:20 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Tarett engineering.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:13 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by djm68
Pagid yellows are perfectly compatible with OEM pads; many people, myself included, have used them for years without issues with OEM pads. I am using PFCs now, happy with their braking ability and longevity thus far, but oh my, the squeal is terrible.

With regards to stripping the aluminum threads due to repeated use: this is a well known problem and the simple, affordable and readily available solution is thread-in studs to replace the bolts. Easy-peasy.

Cheers,
DJM
Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
Tarett engineering.
These are the solution and what I've done on my 981 GTS. I bought the Tarett Engineering stud kit and Pagid RSL29 pads. In the end I'm too lazy and just drive the Pagid pads all the time. It sounds like a bus at every stoplight, but I don't care.

You are also going to want to buy a spare set of the OEM wear sensors. It's nearly impossible to get the original set out of the front pads and calipers without cutting or destroying them. You'll need something to plug back into the vehicle-side connector and zip-tie to the strut to avoid seeing the brake wear warning on the dash all the time.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:30 PM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 145 Posts

For 1-2 events, just stick with your OEM pads. Yes, they'll wear much quicker on the track. You can buy replacement Texars really cheaply.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:00 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Regarding wear sensors, don’t bother with replacement sensors. Just learn how to inspect your pads for wear, which you should do anyway after each track day. My sensors have been disconnected and zip tied to the upright for four years.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:36 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

PFC pads work well when switching with stock as well. I've been using them for years on both my 996 and my 987.2.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:36 AM
mts
Rennlist Member

My issue on the OEM pads is although I don't track much these days I've got quite a bit of track experience and can overpower the OEM pads relatively quickly in a session with track rubber.

On the Tarett Engineering stud kit, it appears to come in different lengths, what I am looking for?
Old 07-16-2018, 11:09 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

http://www.tarett.com/images/BCSK.pdf

On my 981 GTS I bought the 77-85mm set for the fronts and 72mm set of the rears. Rears aren't necessary for replacing brake pads, but I figure I'll be replacing rotors every year or two as well and the stud conversion will help with those caliper removals.

Quick Reply: Track Pads that play nice with OEM pads