Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone in the SF Bay Area have a big brake kit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 10:39 PM
tweej
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone in the SF Bay Area have a big brake kit?

I'm experiencing huge pedal travel and bake fade on the track, and I'm considering replacing the stock calipers on my 987.2 S. I'd like to see what the pedal feel is like with various BBK options. I'm looking at Brembo 380/345, StopTech 355/332, and Girodiscs, but I'd be happy to compare to anything.

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2018, 11:09 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the stoptech kit on my 987.2 3.8L with track pads. But you can’t tell much from a street drive. Lots of track time.... no fade ever.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:32 PM
tweej
Track Day

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
I have the stoptech kit on my 987.2 3.8L with track pads. But you can’t tell much from a street drive. Lots of track time.... no fade ever.
Ah so no difference in pedal travel or firmness at all with the new hardware? Thats the 355mm/332mm you have? Do you have the PCCB or GT3 brake master cylinder?
Old 07-12-2018, 10:03 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Gt3, yes, that makes a difference all the time. Better feel than stock for sure.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:11 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

All of these issues can be resolved with SS brake lines, GT3 M/C, Castrol SRF brake fluid and track pads.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:00 AM
tweej
Track Day

Originally Posted by ekam
All of these issues can be resolved with SS brake lines, GT3 M/C, Castrol SRF brake fluid and track pads.
Wrong. I have everything but the master cylinder which I read and am told is supposed to just effect pedal feel, not braking performance or heat dissipation.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:05 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

What pads are you running? Just upgrading to something like padgid yellows should help any fade. Otherwise, I’d say try braking less at the track! Seriously, you may be over braking. I tracked for years on stock calipers with track pads, ss lines, gt3 master... all good, no fade... ever. You can also add clip on Cooling ducts. My calipers did turn a nice red-brown ��
Old 07-13-2018, 12:37 PM
tweej
Track Day

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
What pads are you running? Just upgrading to something like padgid yellows should help any fade. Otherwise, I’d say try braking less at the track! Seriously, you may be over braking. I tracked for years on stock calipers with track pads, ss lines, gt3 master... all good, no fade... ever. You can also add clip on Cooling ducts. My calipers did turn a nice red-brown ��
PFC08s. The pads actually look awesome after a track day. I have the GT3 lower control arm ducts, but they seem pretty marginal in terms of putting the air in the center of the rotor. I thought I might be braking too much also, but I recently spent a day with an instructor and former racer and he didn't think so... just hard and pretty late. Street tires (PSS) mean I have to slow down a little more than I'd like, but I think the brakes should be able to handle that. Unfortunately not so. My calipers are also maroon/brown.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:56 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

+1.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:06 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

+2

Can't speak to the M/C, but the SS lines and SRF made soft pedal a complete non-issue on my SP3 car. And that car was running almost 10% heavier than these at the time, and with smaller brakes. Practice, qualifying, sprint, sprint, qualifying, enduro... rinse, repeat. No soft pedal.

Dave

'05 987S
'92 968 SP3
'88 944 NA (gone)
Old 07-13-2018, 06:27 PM
tweej
Track Day

Originally Posted by Dave in Chicago
+2

Can't speak to the M/C, but the SS lines and SRF made soft pedal a complete non-issue on my SP3 car. And that car was running almost 10% heavier than these at the time, and with smaller brakes. Practice, qualifying, sprint, sprint, qualifying, enduro... rinse, repeat. No soft pedal.

Dave

'05 987S
'92 968 SP3
'88 944 NA (gone)
This is not helpful, as I've already said I have fancy lines and fluid. If you know what else can cause what feels like boiled fluid, please share.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:55 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

When did you last flush the fluid?
Old 07-13-2018, 09:50 PM
doborder
Rennlist Member

As someone who has tracked a Cayman GTS and then Cayman GT4, stock brakes on the 981 cayman s, GTS brakes are not up to par for track duty. I routinely boiled my brakes even with upgraded discs and 6 piston caliper

I did this back in 2015. I had a Cayman GTS and I sourced a set of 996 GT3 6 piston calipers and 350 mm AP racing rotors from Vision motor sports in Socal. I kept the rear brake setup stock which is a mistake as I ended up with a lot of front brake bias. Alas, as I got faster, I Still got fade and would boil my brakes at the end of each track session.

Thus, I sold my GTS and upgraded to a GT4... moral of the story. Get a GT4.... I have never ever had brake issues in the GT4 period.

My advice to you, get a set of GT4 brakes or the AP racing caliper/disc solution from Essex. I am not sure they will fit the Cayman but I'm sure they can fab up the appropriate adaptors.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:43 PM
tweej
Track Day

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
When did you last flush the fluid?
A week before the track day where they got soft.

Originally Posted by doborder
As someone who has tracked a Cayman GTS and then Cayman GT4, stock brakes on the 981 cayman s, GTS brakes are not up to par for track duty. I routinely boiled my brakes even with upgraded discs and 6 piston caliper

I did this back in 2015. I had a Cayman GTS and I sourced a set of 996 GT3 6 piston calipers and 350 mm AP racing rotors from Vision motor sports in Socal. I kept the rear brake setup stock which is a mistake as I ended up with a lot of front brake bias. Alas, as I got faster, I Still got fade and would boil my brakes at the end of each track session.

Thus, I sold my GTS and upgraded to a GT4... moral of the story. Get a GT4.... I have never ever had brake issues in the GT4 period.

My advice to you, get a set of GT4 brakes or the AP racing caliper/disc solution from Essex. I am not sure they will fit the Cayman but I'm sure they can fab up the appropriate adaptors.
So you'd go 350mm even though you still experienced fade with them? I will soon have Apex wheels that will fit 380mm rotors. What sort of lap times were you doing at Laguna Seca when you experienced the fade?
Old 07-13-2018, 10:49 PM
doborder
Rennlist Member

I was doing 1:42 consistently on the GTS and I'm now running 1:39-1:40 in the GT4
I'm not the fastest guy out there....

Quick Reply: Anyone in the SF Bay Area have a big brake kit?