Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Drove a ‘16 Spyder today

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 08:17 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

The manual roof in the Spyders is a dealbreaker for me. The 981 auto roof is a thing of design and engineering beauty. I prefer the cleaner, less busy look of the non-Spyder 981 Boxster. And 315hp manual is more than plenty for back-road fun in my neck of the woods. Nice to be able to get out of 2nd gear once in a while without losing your license or endangering nearby trees, rocks, or traffic. Looking to get a 981 S Boxster...
Old 07-15-2018, 04:59 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I hate my Spyder (and all the quirks that make it a Spyder). I think the new one will be just as bad, if not worse ....

so everyone should not even try to get one

Old 07-16-2018, 11:35 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalema
I hate my Spyder (and all the quirks that make it a Spyder). I think the new one will be just as bad, if not worse ....

so everyone should not even try to get one

agree, who would even want one... 🤔
Old 07-17-2018, 08:49 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
The manual roof in the Spyders is a dealbreaker for me. The 981 auto roof is a thing of design and engineering beauty. I prefer the cleaner, less busy look of the non-Spyder 981 Boxster. And 315hp manual is more than plenty for back-road fun in my neck of the woods. Nice to be able to get out of 2nd gear once in a while without losing your license or endangering nearby trees, rocks, or traffic. Looking to get a 981 S Boxster...
dont drive a spyder if s shopping. They drive drastically different. Not just the power. I did. Bought spyder.
You have a 996 gt3
difference is like carrera to gt3
i like the chassis feel better than the gt4
Old 07-17-2018, 09:18 AM
hf1
Banned

Originally Posted by Spyerx
dont drive a spyder if s shopping. They drive drastically different. Not just the power. I did. Bought spyder.
You have a 996 gt3
difference is like carrera to gt3
i like the chassis feel better than the gt4
Thanks! I figured this would be the case. Even with the PASM and/or X73 sport suspension the diff in feel would be that big? I have and love my 6gt3 for hard-core Porsche rawness and feel but I miss my 987 Boxster S (base suspension) which was great for less intense top-down back-road carving, especially on imperfect NE roads. I was recently looking at Elise but after I test drove it, realized it’s another hard-core no-compromise (handling, performance only) car. I’m test-driving a potential local 981 S buy tomorrow.

If the Spyder came with the auto roof, it’d be a no-brainer for me. Adding all that extra hassle to save 20lbs is a bad trade in my book. And I prefer the cleaner less fussy look of the non-spyder 981 boxster.

I agree, maybe I should test drive a Spyder before I decide.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:14 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Oh oh… it's all over.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:36 AM
hf1
Banned

Anyone in NW CT (Limerock area, Litchfield County) willing to let me drive their Spyder? I could bring my 6gt3 and switch cars for a drive.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:32 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Wow, spyder is my softest riding car in the fleet. That thing floats imo. Any softer and it's a luxo-boat imo.
Not sure I would ever put the Spyder in or near the "luxo-boat" category, but the genius of X73 is its ability to roadhold without beating you up. It's just so damn compliant. Unlike many sports suspensions, it doesn't make your teeth chatter and shake your fillings loose, but man, does it get the job done when you're on it, particularly in keeping the car settled and balanced through quick transition changes.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:45 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Having just done 700 miles up the coast in mine i agree. I found standard pasm too soft and sport mode too stiff. And jarring. The package on the spyder is very controlled and very compliant. I didn’t drive an spasm car.

Now giving im in Ca the top i don’t find an issue. I guess if i were in the ne and those afternoon storms....

boxster s is a great car. You are buying for same reason i did. Just a get in and go car. My RS isn’t too much fun on street. The antiques i love but not that comfy for the wife. Spyder is a great wine country and coastal wife weekend trip car lol.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:59 PM
hf1
Banned

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Not sure I would ever put the Spyder in or near the "luxo-boat" category, but the genius of X73 is its ability to roadhold without beating you up. It's just so damn compliant. Unlike many sports suspensions, it doesn't make your teeth chatter and shake your fillings loose, but man, does it get the job done when you're on it, particularly in keeping the car settled and balanced through quick transition changes.
There are Boxster S with X73 sport suspension. Rare but still out there. Harris drove the S with PASM off and loved it, in the video above.

Nothing wrong with softer springs/suspension. The 911 R is softer sprung than the gt3.2 manual and they call that "fairy dust". We're still talking Porsche here -- none of them are "luxo-boats".
Old 07-17-2018, 02:13 PM
hf1
Banned

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Now giving im in Ca the top i don’t find an issue. I guess if i were in the ne and those afternoon storms....

boxster s is a great car. You are buying for same reason i did. Just a get in and go car. My RS isn’t too much fun on street. The antiques i love but not that comfy for the wife. Spyder is a great wine country and coastal wife weekend trip car lol.
Nailed it! My 6gt3 is raw and fun on back-roads but it requires work, focus, and gets your palms sweaty. I usually take it in small dozes and by myself, like single malt scotch. The Boxster would be enjoyed in larger quantities and shared, like nice wine.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:40 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by DBH
The 981 Spyder has the sport suspension (X73). This is the same suspension I had in my previous Cayman GTS. .................
Spyder's X73 is slightly modified from regular X73 (including GTS). The anti-rollbar specs are tad different. I don't have the specs; if you searched, might show up.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:26 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by the_rider
Spyder's X73 is slightly modified from regular X73 (including GTS). The anti-rollbar specs are tad different. I don't have the specs; if you searched, might show up.
Henry, your prior post on the Spyder's X73 roll-bar specs is at post #12 here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...need-help.html

"There definitely is a small difference with Spyder. Here are the specs of non-Spyders (originally posted by Eduardo):

"

Old 07-20-2018, 12:06 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

You're talking apples and oranges (987 vs 981). I still believe that 981 Spyder has the same X73 sport suspension as other 981 Cayman/Boxster.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:54 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DBH
You're talking apples and oranges (987 vs 981). I still believe that 981 Spyder has the same X73 sport suspension as other 981 Cayman/Boxster.
Along with Henry, I seem to recall that is not the case. Although similar, I think there are some differences, although all I can put my hands on at the moment is the following from:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review...-spyder-review
At 370bhp, it’s 45bhp more powerful than a 3.4-litre Boxster GTS and only 10bhp shy of the GT4. It’s the most powerful Boxster yet, and will be for the foreseeable future (a racier version was discussed but the idea was dropped). Almost as importantly, it shares the GT4’s proper six-speed manual gearbox and gets the same front and rear end.What it doesn’t have are all the trick underbody elements that made that car a product of Porsche’s GT motorsport division. Instead, much as before, the Spyder is lowered by 20mm on the same firmed-up passive sports suspension that’s already available as an option on the GTS - only a tweaked rear anti-roll bar differentiates the two. Elsewhere, it gets the bigger brakes that were previously the preserve of the 911, and has a faster steering ratio to go with its marginally smaller steering wheel.

Quick Reply: Drove a ‘16 Spyder today