Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member and Cayman Owner From NJ

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 05:14 AM
CarlSammons
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member and Cayman Owner From NJ

Hi Everyone! First time posting here, I don't normally do forums but the Cayman community seems very relaxed compared to others Ive seen. I have a 2011 Base that I bought back in December of last year before my 22nd birthday. I was only going to buy a white manual and I had to drive 300 miles from south Jersey to Syracuse NY to buy it. I'm so glad I made the trip because I don't think I'll ever get tired of this car. Always some kind of upgrade to be done, always getting looks, getting thumbs up, and always giving friends rides. Just dropping in to say hello, and see if there are any other Cayman owners from NJ because I have only seen two other Caymans since I've bought mine

So far I have done:
Tinted windows
LED head and fog lights
LED interior lights
Ghost lights
New wheels (19'' Avant Garde)
Painted brake calipers red
Blacked out tail lights
Air ducts painted black

What I plan to do:
Lower on H&R springs
Rear diffuser (in the mail as I type)
Muffler delete
Old 07-11-2018, 09:10 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Congrats, great choice! Looks like your future list of mods covers the lowered suspension which will definitely help with the appearance and handling. Another alternative to H&R Springs is a set of Cayman R springs if you can find them.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:57 AM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Welcome to the club! You'll not see as many in South Jersey as opposed to Central / North Jersey, but we're out here! Enjoy!
Old 07-11-2018, 01:10 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by CarlSammons
Hi Everyone! First time posting here, I don't normally do forums but the Cayman community seems very relaxed compared to others Ive seen. I have a 2011 Base that I bought back in December of last year before my 22nd birthday. I was only going to buy a white manual and I had to drive 300 miles from south Jersey to Syracuse NY to buy it. I'm so glad I made the trip because I don't think I'll ever get tired of this car. Always some kind of upgrade to be done, always getting looks, getting thumbs up, and always giving friends rides. Just dropping in to say hello, and see if there are any other Cayman owners from NJ because I have only seen two other Caymans since I've bought mine

So far I have done:
Tinted windows
LED head and fog lights
LED interior lights
Ghost lights
New wheels (19'' Avant Garde)
Painted brake calipers red
Blacked out tail lights
Air ducts painted black

What I plan to do:
Lower on H&R springs
Rear diffuser (in the mail as I type)
Muffler delete

Beautiful car CarlSammons!!

Welcome to the club!! Scott here from Fabspeed Motorsport here in Fort Washington PA, when you are in the market for some exhaust upgrades, feel free to reach out and PM for forum pricing. We have a few great choices for your Cayman that would make your car really come to life.

Take a quick peak at the videos, if something catches your attention let me know!!

Old 07-11-2018, 01:15 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome, Carl! Best of luck with your Cayman. Enjoy!
Old 07-11-2018, 06:26 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to the forum! Join the PCA region nearest to you, go out for the events including the track days, and you'll meet a good bit of the local Cayman owners haha. I like your mod list, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend a muffler delete as it creates an enormous amount of resonance/drone between 2-3k rpm on your car, it'll give you a headache real quick. If you want to chat about exhaust setups, I know them quite well and would be happy to spend a little time reviewing them with you.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:30 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

21 and got your 1st Porsche - your definitely living right.

I’m in North Jersey and i really don’t see that many Caymans or Boxsters on the road and in 2 years I don’t ever recall seeing a GT4 on the road.

Trending Topics

Old 07-16-2018, 12:11 AM
CarlSammons
4th Gear

Thank you!! I'll look into Cayman R springs as well
Old 07-16-2018, 12:12 AM
CarlSammons
4th Gear

Thank you!!
Old 07-16-2018, 12:14 AM
CarlSammons
4th Gear

Thank you! I do plan on getting a real exhaust system eventually so ill have to save up some and talk to you about what would be best!
Old 07-16-2018, 12:26 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 566 Posts

Welcome from a former cayman R and current GT4 owner!

Congrats and enjoy for many miles! I agree with the AutoQuest comment. I test drove an R while searching for my car. It had an aftermarket exhaust that created such a bad drone I had to get out after 5 minutes!!

Do your homework. There are excellent aftermarket exhausts available that won’t create the dreaded cabin drone.

Joinng PCA and attending events is a great way to meet owners. Most regions offer track and social events. You are relatively close to some nice tracks. It’s a great way to learn more about your car in a controlled environment. Be sure to listen to your instructor if you opt to try it!
Old 07-16-2018, 10:58 AM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 430 Posts

Hey CarlSammons,

If you are interested in coming down and taking a tour of our facilities and seeing what Fabspeed is all about, July 29th 9am-12pm we are hosting a Cars and Coffee event.
Come on down and check out some local rides and see what we can do for your new toy!!!

Last edited by Fabspeed Motorsport; 07-16-2018 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:38 AM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

Welcome from a fellow New Jerseyan. My car is not a Cayman but it's white & manual.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:04 AM
DannieK
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by storii
Welcome from a fellow New Jerseyan. My car is not a Cayman but it's white & manual.
Wow, are you really from Towaco? I lived there in....let's see....1961 (gulp). No, I was a kid...I'm not 150 years old. I try to get over to the area whenever I have time. Y'know that brick gas station building in the town center? The one with the 2 foot circular hole in the brick near the very top of the roof facade? The building was owned by my grandfather and a 1927 magneto clock (cranks up like a Model T) fits into that hole. 57 years later I still own the clock.

I'm still in North NJ driving my '16 Spyder and my wife's '16 Macan S. My GT3 is (supposedly) due at the end of next month. But anyway just thought it was neat to see a Towaconian post since it's such a small town.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:51 AM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by DannieK
Wow, are you really from Towaco? I lived there in....let's see....1961 (gulp). No, I was a kid...I'm not 150 years old. I try to get over to the area whenever I have time. Y'know that brick gas station building in the town center? The one with the 2 foot circular hole in the brick near the very top of the roof facade? The building was owned by my grandfather and a 1927 magneto clock (cranks up like a Model T) fits into that hole. 57 years later I still own the clock.

I'm still in North NJ driving my '16 Spyder and my wife's '16 Macan S. My GT3 is (supposedly) due at the end of next month. But anyway just thought it was neat to see a Towaconian post since it's such a small town.
Yup, I really am living in Towaco but a relatively new transplant. We bought a house in the town just 2 years ago. It is a lovely town and we love it. I will have to look for the brick gas station building that you mentioned.

You may be a member of the NNJR PCA? I have never seen a Spyder at the gatherings I attended but will look for one next time.

Quick Reply: New Member and Cayman Owner From NJ