Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's wrong with this car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 10:16 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

Cayman is just a Boxster with a hardtop and slightly (like ~5%) stiffer suspension. Porsche charges more for it and call it more manly and people bought into it.

Now the 718 they charge more for Boxster which is how it should be.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:30 PM
O_O
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Putting a deposit on a boxster
Old 07-12-2018, 03:08 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
Not at all. Same thing I went through with the 982 vs the 981 for me. The first time I drove a 981 I fell in love. Drove a 982 for three days trying to convince myself to love it. Got back in a 981 and was immediately smitten again.

My vote is go with what you know you love, not what your head tells you you should want.
I went through the same thing only post-purchase. I actually really enjoyed my time with the 718- I had it over a weekend- and was ALMOST sad to bring it back in when the service on my 981 was completed.

But as soon as I fired it up and heard that flat 6 all that went away. A 981 is just an experience every single time you drive it. The 718 is more fun when driven hard or taken to the limit, but that doesn't happen but every so often.

I think I could learn to enjoy the 718 more over a longer period of time, but I would just take a mental note to try to avoid ever stepping back in a 981 unless I wanted to have second thoughts again.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:41 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
I went through the same thing only post-purchase. I actually really enjoyed my time with the 718- I had it over a weekend- and was ALMOST sad to bring it back in when the service on my 981 was completed.

But as soon as I fired it up and heard that flat 6 all that went away. A 981 is just an experience every single time you drive it. The 718 is more fun when driven hard or taken to the limit, but that doesn't happen but every so often.

I think I could learn to enjoy the 718 more over a longer period of time, but I would just take a mental note to try to avoid ever stepping back in a 981 unless I wanted to have second thoughts again.
I'll own a 718 some day. But for my first Porsche I had to have the glorious wail of that naturally-aspirated flat six. The 718 will be there down the line if/when I decide to switch cars.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:25 PM
O_O
Intermediate

It has been a long road but I'm about to be a first time self made entry level Porsche owner. To add to my motor vehicle toy collection which consists of a single Ducati.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:10 AM
Prodigalson777
5th Gear

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR

You'll have to get used to the driving experience. Here's the thing... I drive my BGTS for weeks and can't fathom driving the Miata again. Then I get in the Miata and pretty much hate it for a couple of minutes. Loud, slow, terrible engine noise, notchy shifter (6MT), etc. Then I get into the twisties and none of that matters. It becomes the greatest car I've ever driven. Then I get back in the Porsche and wonder why I would ever drive anything else. It's a vicious cycle.

I love, love, love my Miata on twisty backroads. Total riot. But pushing the Boxster on those same roads is akin to a religious experience. The problem is the Miata will get you a ticket in those circumstances; the Boxster/Cayman can put you in jail!

I suspect the weight is what is getting you. Going slow in the Miata it feels so nimble and responsive. The Boxster/Cayman feels... different.

If Mazda ever puts their new cooling seats in the Miata I'll dump my NB in a heartbeat.
I'm selling my Mazdaspeed Miata to get a 981 S Boxster. I'm glad to see your viewpoint on the two cars, though it reinforces my slight reluctance to part ways with the MSM.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:27 AM
O_O
Intermediate

This is for you miata man.

I let go of the manual in a Porsche.. I think the manual in a Porsche may feel better in older models. I went in looking for a manual Cayman and what I ended up buying was a pdk boxster. The feeling inside a 981 with black interior and the sports seats and a smooth shifting pdk made it very comfortable and felt much better than the manual luxor beige cayman. Options/packages matter. The cayman I looked at in this post not only had very basic options... But it had a shobby maintenance record with clerical errors. That is a hassle.
​​​​​​
I ended up paying 3k more for a authorized CPO from the dealer. They already replaced the two back tires and refinished the rims as part of the certification process. Plus you get options to purchase tire and wheel coverage and you get a 2 year unlimited mile warrenty. Having all the records and having a 2 year warrenty makes the deal solid.

​​​​​​Heed the words of others, be a Porsche head that knows them inside and out with relevant driving experience to judge a Porsche being sold outside of a dealer... Otherwise you'll end up like me... 5 test drives and some obsessing in the past multiple times still put me into a Porsche authorized dealers hands haha.

Good luck
Old 07-13-2018, 10:10 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Prodigalson777
I'm selling my Mazdaspeed Miata to get a 981 S Boxster. I'm glad to see your viewpoint on the two cars, though it reinforces my slight reluctance to part ways with the MSM.
I am of the opinion that everyone should own a Miata. Any Miata.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:50 AM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 309 Posts

Congrats on the CPO. For some of us, that is the best way to go. I have been very much impressed with my experience so far.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:06 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Congrats. Just chiming in with some more love for the Miata. That car started this whole sports car odyssey for me and remains my "good handling" benchmark. I've had a couple NB and will likely buy another.. for now I'm making do with a 997 GTS and 987.2 Cayman S I picked up last week.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:08 PM
O_O
Intermediate

Thank you
Old 07-15-2018, 12:27 AM
O_O
Intermediate

People are hawks for this miata down here in Dallas right now. Would have never expected them to cost more now than how much I paid for it 8 years ago.

Quick Reply: What's wrong with this car?