Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's wrong with this car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 02:03 PM
O_O
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When switching into a gear does it take a little bit before the dashboard displays the gear number you're in?
Old 07-11-2018, 02:05 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by O_O
@Everyone,
Porsche dealer wants $700 for a 4 hour pre purchase inspection, where a rev report is included... I think it would be cheaper somewhere else?
Find the PCA chapter local to you. Ask them for an indy recommendation for the PPI. $700 is highway robbery. The most I was ever quoted was $350-$400, and that was only if I chose to go super deep after a visual inspection and the DME.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:06 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by O_O
When switching into a gear does it take a little bit before the dashboard displays the gear number you're in?
Yes. It will show the gear after the clutch is completely released.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:57 PM
O_O
Intermediate

@CaymanSinAR - Thank you again, that explains it. I was very careful with the clutch, I sometimes do not let go of the clutch all the way when driving the miata. I was worried the shifter may be electronically not aligned.
Negetives: Wheels are not my choice, mileage discrepancy on carfax, unfamiliar driving experience, missing maintenance since 2016. It has been on a lot for 200+ days, missing 40k maintenance. Wish some Dallas local would test drive it and tell me it behaves correctly. Going to Porsche of Plano today to test a 981 boxster to see how it drives so I at least have another reference point.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:19 PM
michaelo
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by O_O
... it felt synthetic and slow to me and I was a bit uncomfortable, but it was my first time driving a cayman. Is this how new cars are supposed to feel?..
Yes, new cars are supposed to feel synthetic, slow and uncomfortable. They are intentionally designed this way to ensure that you have the worst possible driving experience for your money.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:23 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by O_O
@CaymanSinAR - Thank you again, that explains it. I was very careful with the clutch, I sometimes do not let go of the clutch all the way when driving the miata. .
Do not do this on a Porsche.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:23 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by O_O
@CaymanSinAR - Thank you again, that explains it. I was very careful with the clutch, I sometimes do not let go of the clutch all the way when driving the miata. I was worried the shifter may be electronically not aligned.
Negetives: Wheels are not my choice, mileage discrepancy on carfax, unfamiliar driving experience, missing maintenance since 2016. It has been on a lot for 200+ days, missing 40k maintenance. Wish some Dallas local would test drive it and tell me it behaves correctly. Going to Porsche of Plano today to test a 981 boxster to see how it drives so I at least have another reference point.
Carfax is hit or miss. I had to deal with the issue. A guy tried to steal my Miata last year. Destroyed the ignition. Since the shop that took it in for repair couldn't immediately turn it on to check the mileage they just guessed. Based solely on age they guessed 100,000 miles, and reported it to Carfax. My car had 25,000 miles at the time!!! Carfax later reported it to me and I had to go back and have the shop send an update to Carfax. Idiots.

You'll have to get used to the driving experience. Here's the thing... I drive my BGTS for weeks and can't fathom driving the Miata again. Then I get in the Miata and pretty much hate it for a couple of minutes. Loud, slow, terrible engine noise, notchy shifter (6MT), etc. Then I get into the twisties and none of that matters. It becomes the greatest car I've ever driven. Then I get back in the Porsche and wonder why I would ever drive anything else. It's a vicious cycle.

I love, love, love my Miata on twisty backroads. Total riot. But pushing the Boxster on those same roads is akin to a religious experience. The problem is the Miata will get you a ticket in those circumstances; the Boxster/Cayman can put you in jail!

I suspect the weight is what is getting you. Going slow in the Miata it feels so nimble and responsive. The Boxster/Cayman feels... different.

If Mazda ever puts their new cooling seats in the Miata I'll dump my NB in a heartbeat.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:30 PM
O_O
Intermediate

My buddy has a cayenne turbo diesel, it has the vented seat option. Just tried it out...I can barely tell its cooling the seat... But I guess that if you let it run and your back may have some perspiration, it must feel like putting some Bengay on your back.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:03 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by O_O
My buddy has a cayenne turbo diesel, it has the vented seat option. Just tried it out...I can barely tell its cooling the seat... But I guess that if you let it run and your back may have some perspiration, it must feel like putting some Bengay on your back.
That's odd. I could understand not really feeling the air moving with the top down, but in the Cayenne it should be extremely obvious. You'll hear the blower if it is working. I'm in jeans and a light polo today and actually turned mine completely off because it was freezing me out (top was up and ac was also going).

Interestingly, the new Mazda system does not blow air, it sucks air. Can't remember which, but either Car & Driver or Motor Trend was doing their first drive in the car and said it works better than traditional systems.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:30 PM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 309 Posts

I looked at the car quite a few times on CarGurus but was turned off by the photos. Assumed it had some road rash on the front end. Then I found the Porsche CPO site. If you can, and it'll cost you a few more dollars, consider a CPO car. Looking back now I'm wondering why this one here, being a lease return, didn't end up in the program. Perhaps it failed the inspection? or had something disqualify it before they even considered it for CPO inspection? Good luck finding the right one.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:50 PM
O_O
Intermediate

I found a CPO car, with PDK, it drives a lot nicer than the cayman, it's a boxster... it has more roomy interior than the cayman? (I didnt think this would be the case) The luxor beige started to look terrible in the cayman and the all black of the boxster made more sense. That cayman is out of the question now, I drove it 3x and I greatly prefer the drive of the pdk boxster. Boxster has a solid maintenance record and has better options. Am I crazy to flip flop so fast after driving in the boxster and feeling a lot more comfortable in it?

Plus the girlfriend likes the boxster a lot more. You guys know this counts for a lot of brownie points.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:16 PM
O_O
Intermediate

By the way, what are those little plastic lower outter grille pieces that are usually black on the porsche... horizontal. called?
Old 07-12-2018, 12:18 AM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by O_O
I found a CPO car, with PDK, it drives a lot nicer than the cayman, it's a boxster... it has more roomy interior than the cayman? (I didnt think this would be the case) The luxor beige started to look terrible in the cayman and the all black of the boxster made more sense. That cayman is out of the question now, I drove it 3x and I greatly prefer the drive of the pdk boxster. Boxster has a solid maintenance record and has better options. Am I crazy to flip flop so fast after driving in the boxster and feeling a lot more comfortable in it?

Plus the girlfriend likes the boxster a lot more. You guys know this counts for a lot of brownie points.
1. The Boxster with the roof down is MUCH more spacious than the Cayman--mostly UP. They are also much easier to enter and leave with the top down.
2. The Luxor WILL reflect on the windscreen, especially when the sun hits through the windscreen.
3. The Boxster and Cayman should drive almost identically (transmissions excepted). If they are very different, one's broken.
4. Maintenance is important, and there in the US where warranties aren't determined and enforced by the government, the CPO is welcome.
5. Girlfriends can be important.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:25 AM
O_O
Intermediate

Found it:

Front bumper inlet grille / slat
Old 07-12-2018, 09:55 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by O_O
Am I crazy to flip flop so fast after driving in the boxster and feeling a lot more comfortable in it?
Not at all. Same thing I went through with the 982 vs the 981 for me. The first time I drove a 981 I fell in love. Drove a 982 for three days trying to convince myself to love it. Got back in a 981 and was immediately smitten again.

My vote is go with what you know you love, not what your head tells you you should want.

Quick Reply: What's wrong with this car?