Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

COA replaced by PPSD?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 10:49 AM
SCMike
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 82 Posts
Default COA replaced by PPSD?

Several weeks ago, I sent off to Porsche for the "Certificate of Authenticity" for my 2011 Spyder. Yesterday the packet arrived, and it contained the "Porsche Production Specifications Document". This looks like a fancier/expanded form of the COA, and included my car's engine and transmission numbers (without my prompting). So, is this the format replacing the old COA? In any case, it's impressive to see what officially went into a 987.2 Spyder with a $77K+ MSRP (2011 dollars). Next step in my documentation of the Spyder is to get a copy of the original window sticker.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:48 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by SCMike
Several weeks ago, I sent off to Porsche for the "Certificate of Authenticity" for my 2011 Spyder. Yesterday the packet arrived, and it contained the "Porsche Production Specifications Document". This looks like a fancier/expanded form of the COA, and included my car's engine and transmission numbers (without my prompting). So, is this the format replacing the old COA? In any case, it's impressive to see what officially went into a 987.2 Spyder with a $77K+ MSRP (2011 dollars). Next step in my documentation of the Spyder is to get a copy of the original window sticker.
Mike, the COA I received on my Spyder in April 2016 is simply entitled "Certificate of Authenticity" and was not accompanied by any other document or a "Porsche Production Specifications Document," so I'm not sure what that document is. Perhaps you can post a picture of it. However, my COA does reference the Engine Number/Type and Transmission Number/Type.

Regarding a copy of your original window sticker, this would be a good source to check out:
http://www.stuttgartstudios.com/

Good luck documenting your Spyder. It's a worthwhile pursuit, no doubt.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:28 PM
SCMike
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Mike, the COA I received on my Spyder in April 2016 is simply entitled "Certificate of Authenticity" and was not accompanied by any other document or a "Porsche Production Specifications Document," so I'm not sure what that document is. Perhaps you can post a picture of it. However, my COA does reference the Engine Number/Type and Transmission Number/Type.

Regarding a copy of your original window sticker, this would be a good source to check out:
http://www.stuttgartstudios.com/

Good luck documenting your Spyder. It's a worthwhile pursuit, no doubt.
SJ - I googled a bunch of images of the COA (and noted that most did have engine/transmission numbers, unlike the couple of COAs that I had seen). Otherwise, the PPS looks pretty much just like the COA except where that was entitled "Certificate of Authenticity", mine has "Porsche Production Specifications" in the same space (and maybe the colorful Porsche badge is slightly bigger on the sheet). The verbiage underneath that title is identical. I am guessing that this is the new version of what was the COA, post 1 July 2018. Maybe Porsche Legal decided that COA sounded too much like Porsche was certifying a particular vehicle (while PPS is a lot more vague), and a disgruntled purchaser might try and litigate something? Just a guess.

BTW - I am going the stuttgartstudios route.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:49 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Mike, thanks for the clarification on what the PPS looks like and the info it contains. Very interesting. I think your hypothesis that this change might be driven by legal concerns could be dead-on. As others have noted, it's not uncommon for COA's to be inaccurate either omitting options that came on the car or perhaps including options that the car did not come with (although I think the former is more prevalent). I know a buddy had to go back to Porsche to get a revised COA because the first one they sent him had erroneous info. So yes, I could see a used Porsche buyer claiming that he relied on the COA and purchased a car that he thought had option A, only to find it didn't, or had option B instead.

If, as it appears, Porsche is doing away with the COA and using the PPS in its place, it's sorta sad IMO because "COA" is a term that is deeply rooted in Porsche ownership history and common nomenclature in Porsche circles. It's not a huge deal, obviously, but from a nastalgia standpoint I'll be sorry to see "COA" replaced.

Good luck with Stuttgart Studios. I want to get a duplicate copy of my window sticker from them for framing, but haven't gotten around to it.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:18 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I too just received a Porsche Production Specifications document on a 968 I recently purchased. It does indeed replace the COA of yesteryear.
I believe the PPS contains the same info as the old COA and it is all laid out on the page in the same manner.

Quick Reply: COA replaced by PPSD?