Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backup Camera, Front View Camera

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 03:10 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Backup Camera, Front View Camera

My newish aftermarket stereo has the ability to have a backup camera as well as front camera. I did not go this route as the car is small enough for me to drive without assistance. However, I was thinking that a front camera might help prevent tapping a high curb.

Questions:
The later model Porsches all seem to have a huge front camera mounted dead center in front of the radiator. Why the extra large camera? Is this primarily used for parking assistance (doesn't seem like a Cayanne would need this).

Any opinions about having a backup camera? I would consider it if it was small enough to not ruin the look of my car.

When I looked at the Crutchfield site, the Alpine cameras range from $100 to $500. $500 seems very excessive to me and I'm wondering what is the need. And, they have front view vs rear view. What would be the difference between these cameras? Seems like placement would determine front vs rear view (not camera type).

Thanks....Vern
Old 07-06-2018, 04:27 PM
fosgate769
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not so much a camera that's up front but a radar used for the adaptive cruise.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:39 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fosgate769
Its not so much a camera that's up front but a radar used for the adaptive cruise.
Ok thanks. Been wondering what that thing was.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:02 AM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Get both! I have both, use both, don't even see them. Parking blocks, curbs, making sure you dont overshoot the grass and end up in a ditch, even just pulling out when I'm strapped into the 6pt harness when I can't turn around, they are super useful. Both cameras in my installation are the same, the nav tv module just adds lines to the rear video feed. Ideally the rear is more well, rear facing for cars and such while the front has a lower perspective for curbs...
Old 03-26-2021, 03:05 PM
ryanlsmith
Racer

Received 260 Likes on 131 Posts

edit: ugh, I hate how the forum automatically loads years old posts in the same page/view.

Last edited by ryanlsmith; 03-26-2021 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-26-2021, 11:54 PM
MTN
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ajw45
Get both! I have both, use both, don't even see them. Parking blocks, curbs, making sure you dont overshoot the grass and end up in a ditch, even just pulling out when I'm strapped into the 6pt harness when I can't turn around, they are super useful. Both cameras in my installation are the same, the nav tv module just adds lines to the rear video feed. Ideally the rear is more well, rear facing for cars and such while the front has a lower perspective for curbs...
+1 I also have both connected to the PCM unit. Pushing the rear window defroster switch will switch the front camera on and off. The front camera is pretty concealed. One would have to kneel down and look up from the bottom of the front bumper to see it.
Old 03-27-2021, 12:56 PM
DR.S
Banned

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

How / via what did you connect it to the PCM ?
Old 03-27-2021, 06:54 PM
MTN
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by DR.S
How / via what did you connect it to the PCM ?
I used this module from NAV-TV
https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT375/pcm31-xg-cam.html
Old 06-03-2021, 11:21 PM
racebannon
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Great pics/vids! The quality isn’t that bad at all. A bit better than the 360 cam on my Raptor and that’s pretty good for me. Seems like a must-have if you’re going to be getting a 911!

Quick Reply: Backup Camera, Front View Camera