Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First post, new to me CPO 2015 Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 11:36 AM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 309 Posts
Default First post, new to me CPO 2015 Cayman

Greetings all. First post after purchasing this wonderful car and reading as much as I can here almost night and day since. This has been a long time coming. Financial obligations and life in general about 9 years ago left me as the only sibling in my family without a Porsche in the garage. I thought I could cure the itch for a DD sports car with a Mazda MX-5 and started looking. That turned to C5 Corvettes, and I just missed an elusive one four years ago due to procrastination. I shelved the idea for awhile as more issues popped up at home, but started looking again about a year ago. C5 Corvettes were aging and I switched up to C6 models, and again had lots of difficulty finding the right one. Aggravated, I looked to the 2018 Mustang GT for the $/HP bargain. Leary about the price tag, I looked at other things in the price range and considered the BMW M2 and M240i, but they looked too much like regular cars in the crowd. I looked at Caymans but wasn't happy with what I was seeing for the money with no warranty. I drove a Mustang GT rental on a business trip for 4 days and convinced myself that it was a $25K car with a $20K engine upgrade. More Corvette searching followed for the elusive Atomic Orange with a manual gearbox. No luck again, so I made up my mind for the Mustang at a local dealer. I planned that trip to the dealer for Memorial Day weekend. Bored at work that week, I Googled something like Porsche Cayman for sale, and found the Porsche CPO site, which for some reason had never seen before. I quickly found this one, and about an hour later had purchased a round-trip ticket to go have a look/see, hoping to return for a purchase and drive back home. I can't believe how everything lined up for me. I planned the pickup date for June 8th without even knowing the significance of the day, and since the dealer is in Atlanta, I booked lunch at the Porsche Experience Center. We couldn't stick around too long though, and enjoyed a spirited run along the Talladega Scenic Byway on the first leg of the trip home later that afternoon. Absolutely loving this thing.

Ready to leave the dealer

Break time along the Talladega Scenic Byway
Old 07-05-2018, 11:44 AM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The car is beautiful! Congratulations. I definitely can identify with your long search and thoughts that several other vehicles could fill that desire for a fun sports car. As I am sure you have found, once a Porsche guy, always a Porsche guy. And as their tagline says, there is no substitute.

Enjoy!
Old 07-05-2018, 11:45 AM
ifoney
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks Sweet. I am still hunting for mine
Old 07-05-2018, 02:10 PM
G-forceGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Awesome car! Enjoy with a smile from one ear to the other : )
Old 07-05-2018, 02:48 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

Sweet! It even came with the clear side markers and the GTS tail lights! Best of luck with it!
Old 07-05-2018, 03:54 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Sounds like it was meant to be! Welcome and congrats. Love those wheels.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:19 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

What a beauty!!!

Please tell me you are a detailing enthusiast and will keep that paint looking like it does now. If not I'm going to list some supplies and tasks you need to perform.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:40 PM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 309 Posts

Thanks for the kind words. Perimeter Porsche in Atlanta did a real bang up job on prepping the car for sale. Options on the build were PTV, PASM, Sport Chrono, sport design steering wheel, and some other stuff that don't matter one way or other to me, but these really made the car hard to pass up. And the previous owner didn't leave much to change, by adding PSE, the smoked rears, and clear sides. Windows are even tinted, but that's getting replaced due to some adhesive failure it has going on. Feel free to bomb away with detailing and care advice. I've been reading as much as I can and recently purchased some new pads, bonnets, backing plates for my Porter Cable, as well as some other supplies. Gonna try the P21S stuff first. Planning an Xpel clear bra install, but that's the subject of another post.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:50 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Was going to post along the same lines, someone took PRIDE in prepping that car! It looks amazing in the pictures.

Black cars aren't really all that much more painful to keep immaculately cleaned, you just maybe have to stay on top of them more. I just had my black Macan detailed Tuesday; I paid to have it done professionally because it's my wife's car and it's just too damn hot right now... but it always has given me a sense of true enjoyment to bring a black car to a mirror finish like what's in these pics. But it's still fun to look at even if I wasn't the one who cleaned it.

Oh, and they're great to drive too! Congrats.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:37 AM
masti99
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

Congrats, enjoy in good health!
Old 07-10-2018, 10:37 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by thecajunboy
Feel free to bomb away with detailing and care advice. I've been reading as much as I can and recently purchased some new pads, bonnets, backing plates for my Porter Cable, as well as some other supplies.
You've probably got it covered. Was just going to tell you to make sure at the very least you put on a paint sealant (like Jescar Power Lock+). Then for maintenance use a pH neutral car shampoo like Meguiar's Gold Class and follow it up with a simple spray wax like Griot's Spray-On Wax. Of course you can go far, far deeper down the rabbit hole. But that little bit there will keep you in very, very good shape between more serious detailing.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:37 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Your car looks awesome!

I think you should ask the dealer to give you that poster in the showroom so that you can put that in your garage as well.

Quick Reply: First post, new to me CPO 2015 Cayman